Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McConnell targeted by Kentucky tea partiers

McConnell targeted by Kentucky tea partiers

USA Today has picked this up.

OUISVILLE, Ky. -- More than a dozen tea party groups in Kentucky have united to try to oust Sen. Mitch McConnell in the 2014 Republican primary, arguing that he is too moderate and has only "paid lip service" to their cause.

The United Tea Party of Kentucky, comprised of 17 smaller tea party and "patriot" groups around the state, signed a press release this week promising to oppose McConnell.

"We're looking right now at anybody that has a possibility of retiring Senator McConnell," said John T. Kemper III, the group's spokesman.

But the Louisville Tea Party has decided not to join the effort, its leaders saying they are worried that the group couldn't field a candidate strong enough to win the November general election.

McConnell's campaign manager, Jesse Benton, didn't immediately respond to a request for an interview.

Other than Kemper, who says he is considering a campaign, no potential challengers have come forward publicly.

Kemper, a 2011 candidate for state auditor, said the tea party groups believe that McConnell's record — dating to his time as Jefferson County judge-executive from 1978 through 1984 — makes him a moderate rather than a conservative.

The tea party and McConnell have had a strained relationship since the organizations sprang up around the country in the weeks after President Barack Obama was sworn in for his first term four years ago.

While the groups' harshest rhetoric has been directed at Obama and Democrats, the tea party has also been critical of Republicans who have voted for increasing federal debt, backed the Troubled Asset Relief Program, raised the debt ceiling and done other things anathema to the fiscally conservative organizations.
    this talks about having to self fund, but the other story on it said the Liberty For All PAC would be interested, with the right candidate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tiers/1860109/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is no right candidate.

Liberty PAC are stupid and delusional if they think they can knock off McConnell.

Waste of millions of dollars.

Liberty PAC should be looking for a candidate in WV, an open seat trending GOP.

They should forget about this.

I'd love to see McConnell challenged by a candidate who could muster support.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

It's always funny how things sound different through the media filter. But I'm proud of these Tea Party groups for being courageous and ensuring our message is heard across the nation. Keeping the spirit of resistance alive.

Itshappening - Why don't we stop bashing other liberty efforts? Spend your time talking about better initiatives instead of doing the establishment's work for them. Or did you hear on Levin's show this was a bad idea? If so, I stand corrected.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Kemper is solid. He hates the NDAA and the FED. I hope he runs for something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    There is no right candidate.

Liberty PAC are stupid and delusional if they think they can knock off McConnell.

Waste of millions of dollars.

Liberty PAC should be looking for a candidate in WV, an open seat trending GOP.

They should forget about this.
    Sadly, I think you may be right....unless possibly the Liberty For All PAC supported a grass roots candidate that has no chance of defeating McConnell this time around, but runs for name recognition for the seat in the future. I have a long list of names that I'd love to see do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I'd love to see McConnell challenged by a candidate who could muster support.
    I would love for Libery for All to pick winnable battles in open seats rather than waste millions trying to dethrone the most powerful politician in Kentucky and one of the most powerful Republican's in the country

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    It's always funny how things sound different through the media filter. But I'm proud of these Tea Party groups for being courageous and ensuring our message is heard across the nation. Keeping the spirit of resistance alive.

Itshappening - Why don't we stop bashing other liberty efforts? Spend your time talking about better initiatives instead of doing the establishment's work for them. Or did you hear on Levin's show this was a bad idea? If so, I stand corrected.
    Pick winnable battles in open seats rather than wasting millions upon millions in Kentucky.

McConnell already has 8 million in the bank and hasn't even started fundraising yet.

He is not going down no matter what the Tea party or the media says or does.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Knock out the weak ones. Take seats. Choose your own Senate leader. Doesn't make sense to put all your eggs in the "defeat Mconnel" basket.

I would love for Libery for All to pick winnable battles in open seats rather than waste millions trying to dethrone the most powerful politician in Kentucky and one of the most powerful Republican's in the country
    But it is their money and they will spend it according to their lights. Personally, I think it is great they are looking at this race, since they have indicated they are.

Possibly, as I do, they think there needs to be consequences for being so diametrically opposite to what conservatives would want in office.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Possibly, as I do, they think there needs to be consequences for being so diametrically opposite to what conservatives would want in office.
    Exactly. This may turn into much more, but the truth is even if no one chooses this as a worthwhile cause to donate to, without spending a penny we've already caused McConnell a huge headache in the national media. After all the bad votes, it's the least Kentuckians could do for everyone's favorite senator!
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Pick winnable battles in open seats rather than wasting millions upon millions in Kentucky.

McConnell already has 8 million in the bank and hasn't even started fundraising yet.

He is not going down no matter what the Tea party or the media says or does.
    Quit telling me what to do. You can't centrally plan the liberty movement. I never really thought Ron Paul would be president, and I kept that to myself while sending him a ton of money by my standards.

If you want to waste a whole lot of time, tell libertarians not to fight the system. Just shut up and support the best people.

This is dumb.I hope they are just bluffing in order to hold McConnell's feet to the fire,along with Liberty Pac.

It is their time,energy and money,but it is a fool's errand and they will get none of mine.
    Nancy Pelosi is a much worse threat to Liberty than McConnell will ever be,but it would be even more stupid to mount an expensive resource consuming campaign against her for the exact same reason,it is bound to fail.

Tilting at windmills.
    Last edited by mad cow; 01-24-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    This is dumb.I hope they are just bluffing in order to hold McConnell's feet to the fire,along with Liberty Pac.

It is their time,energy and money,but it is a fool's errand and they will get none of mine.
    Nancy Pelosi is a much worse threat to Liberty than McConnell will ever be,but it would be even more stupid to mount an expensive resource consuming campaign against her for the exact same reason,it is bound to fail.

Tilting at windmills.
    Hey, if they have money to spend, they should spend it on a Kemper run! That would be awesome. He couldnt win, but the name recognition from the race would help him in the future.

Benton says McConnell is a liberty-lover, what more do you people want?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Benton says McConnell is a liberty-lover, what more do you people want?

Exact words? Ughh. Poor Jesse....

My only concern is that he will be able to fool many conservatives with that talk. And of course that is why McConnell hired him.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post

Tilting at windmills.
    We don't hold the flame that attracts McConnell; as such, it is impossible to hold his feet to that fire. Tilting at windmills is thinking you could sway one of the head goons to our side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Exact words? Ughh. Poor Jesse....

My only concern is that he will be able to fool many conservatives with that talk. And of course that is why McConnell hired him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Benton
    When the history books are written, it will be said that few Americans have ever done more to protect the First Amendment than Mitch McConnell.

But Mitch McConnell has shown that regardless of the political party or the public sentiment, he will be an unwavering defender of our constitutional rights.
    lololololol

I hope he goes down to whoever ends up challenging him. Even if it is an avowed and open communist - it would be an improvement. Freedom will never come through the political process if we stay under the banner of a party that uses our rhetoric to stay in power and shut us out. Let alone endorse and fundraise for it.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 01-24-2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    lololololol

I hope he goes down to whoever ends up challenging him. Even if it is an avowed and open communist - it would be an improvement. Freedom will never come through the political process if we stay under the banner of a party that uses our rhetoric to stay in power and shut us out. Let alone endorse and fundraise for it.
    Frankly, I don't think we're working hard enough to knock down the ring-leaders of tyranny. There is absolutely NO excuse as to why Boehner, after every stunt he pulled throughout the 2012 campaign and then with the Purge, is still Speaker of the House. NONE.

McConnell losing his position would be like the DooLittle Raid in Japan following Pearl Harbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Frankly, I don't think we're working hard enough to knock down the ring-leaders of tyranny. There is absolutely NO excuse as to why Boehner, after every stunt he pulled throughout the 2012 campaign and then with the Purge, is still Speaker of the House. NONE.

McConnell losing his position would be like the DooLittle Raid in Japan following Pearl Harbor.
    +1. Even if he doesn't win, dragging his ass through the mud and showing everyone who McConnell really is will go a long way towards getting his ass out of that seat. Boehner, McConnell, Pelosi, Reid etc are not royalty. People need to make them accountable to their treason. Making these people focus towards just keeping their seat is time and money they can't spend taking our rights away, too.

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    +1. Even if he doesn't win, dragging his ass through the mud and showing everyone who McConnell really is will go a long way towards getting his ass out of that seat. Boehner, McConnell, Pelosi, Reid etc are not royalty. People need to make them accountable to their treason. Making these people focus towards just keeping their seat is time and money they can't spend taking our rights away, too.
    it's virtually impossible to remove them and would cost millions of dollars and result in failure. contrary to your beliefs the likes of Boehner and Pelosi are hugely popular back in their district and are national figures, same with McConnell. They have plenty of money and good will and will cruise to victory every time.

What's the point?

Do you know how much it costs to run a senate campaign, dear lord...

Much easier to focus on WV where 2 million will win you the seat than try and dethrone McConnell in Kentucky which would cost 5-10m just to try and make it competitive and unlikely to succeed because no one decent will run against him, certainly no elected official and no one with a brain will waste a year of their time going round Kentucky trying to beat him in a primary .

Its unfortunate we'd have to face off with him during a primary, which I see as a time when the average voters don't care to become the slightest bit informed and vote based of off incumbent or name recognition. I want to see it done though, and I'll definitely donate what little I can to the cause if a liberty candidate steps up. Is this district red enough where a victory in the R primary virtually assures them the senate seat?

We'll continue to only be able to take on one Senator per election if we get stuck in the weeds and refuse to deal with the primary system. The more states that we can convert in terms of having commanding shares in the chair and exec comm, then we can reject the primary in favor of state conventions picking party nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    We'll continue to only be able to take on one Senator per election if we get stuck in the weeds and refuse to deal with the primary system. The more states that we can convert in terms of having commanding shares in the chair and exec comm, then we can reject the primary in favor of state conventions picking party nominees.
    I tend to agree, although Caucuses are much preferred over primaries.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Good luck with getting the rest of the GOP to agree to that. There will probably even be a lot of liberty people who don't support that. Look at other countries without primaries, almost everyone toes the party line. The primary is one of the few good things about elections in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Good luck with getting the rest of the GOP to agree to that. There will probably even be a lot of liberty people who don't support that. Look at other countries without primaries, almost everyone toes the party line. The primary is one of the few good things about elections in the United States.
    Depending on what state your in. I would rather caucus than have our primary in NYS. At least the caucus offers a voice and a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Try to think of it in terms of what happened to Sen Bennett at the UT state convention where the delegates decided he was too RINO via his voting record and the majority of them decided to reject their sitting Senator in favor of putting up current Sen Lee. The party establishment is who wants primaries these days as they see the liberty movement networking with the broader conservative base against them. Heck, even Karl Rove is trying to get a handle on challengers to the establishment candidates in the next go around. This is where we use or strengths to our benefit. Then, w/o primaries the conservative PACs can save their money to really showcase our conservative nominees going into the general and hence we could get a brand new wave of solid Senators in a short time not to mention save state taxpayers money that would be spent on primaries every time we turn around. Then, in county conventions the districts could decide who get to be the local nominee to run for Congress which would be the real check on voting records as the general republican voter would have or pay very little attention to it. Perfect way, if the support is there, to get rid of the likes of Boehner, Cantor and McCarthy by the conservative/liberty delegates if they have enough clout in whatever Congressional district.

Quote Originally Posted by tony m View Post
    Depending on what state your in. I would rather caucus than have our primary in NYS. At least the caucus offers a voice and a fighting chance.
    A caucus would be better than a primary but ideally we need to use our numbers as party delegates along with other conservatives to handle business at state conventions. There'll be certain areas in every state where the GOP establishment will hold their sway but when all the districts come together at state, the tide turns. That said, some states have made significant progress in reshaping their party chair and exec comm but other states need to work on this so that the option to pick nominees in conventions can occur. It should be fairly easy to get other conservative delegates on board for this as it saves taxpayer money (a common sense way to ingratiate the party with the average person) as well as gives them a solid say-so in the intra-party functions, of which, picking party nominees is the most important thing that party officers should have discretion over, not the unwashed masses.

Good for Liberty PAC. SOMEONE has to stand up to the tyrants. If everyone in this country were like some of the posters here who are afraid to challenge someone because they are deemed "too powerful" or "too rich" then we will get no where as a country. Even if we don't replace McConnell, let it not be said we did nothing.

If we choose to challenge him, at least we remind him that he is an elected official. I'm sure by now he views his re-elections as mere formalities to keep the people feeling empowered and it makes for a great excuse to put together extravagant events. Challenging him sends a message that the liberty movement is growing and watching his voting record.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast