Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Caller "Why Rand Paul should skip the 2016 presidential race"

Daily Caller "Why Rand Paul should skip the 2016 presidential race"

Why Rand Paul should skip the 2016 presidential race

Sen. Rand Paul continues to impress in the senate. During today’s hearings, he pressed Secretary Clinton harder than any of his colleagues over her failure of leadership regarding Benghazi. (Last month, I also praised his proposed FISA amendment.)

Predictably, Paul’s confrontation with Clinton fueled speculation about 2016. The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake went so far as to write that, “Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is quickly establishing himself as the conservative option in the 2016 Republican presidential primary.”

There is little doubt that Rand Paul could be formidable in a GOP primary. He would likely tap into his father’s political network, and also expand his base by attracting more mainstream Republicans than his father ever could.

But he can’t win a general election — and he shouldn’t try.

If you thought the 2012 stakes were high, the 2016 stakes are even higher. It’s going to get ugly. Conservatives who witnessed how Mitt Romney was demonized (in a pretty similar manner as I predicted) must now realize that it is the goal of liberals to cast Republicans as crazy, evil, racists.

Fair or not, Paul would be easily cast in that negative light.

Some of it is his fault. His comments to Rachel Maddow about the Civil Rights Act of 1964 will be used against him. This, of course, would only confirm the negative narrative his liberal opponents (and their friends in the media) wish to perpetuate. (Note: I get that Rand Paul hates racism — and that his position is a nuanced one. But that won’t matter in our sound bite media culture.)

Some of it’s not his fault. It’s not fair to blame him for the sins of his father, but that won’t stop the media or Paul’s political opponents. It might not be fair for Rep. Ron Paul’s racist newsletters to impact his son’s presidential ambitions — but you know they will.

All of this becomes even more important if Hillary is the Democratic nominee. If that’s the case, you can expect the “war on women” meme to come back in a big way. Already, Mediate is headlining today’s spat as a sort of domestic dispute — “Rand Paul Brutalizes Hillary Clinton.”

The 2016 elections are a long way off, but it’s not too early to ask this question: Is Rand Paul really the best messenger for 21st century conservatism — in this political environment — with so much at stake?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/wh...#ixzz2IpTBaruZ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a lot right to this article and more: if unemployment drops by the time Obama's second term is done, and if Hillary Clinton does indeed run again, Republicans can pray and swear to whoever they want- it would be more than an uphill battle to try and win that election. Also, like the article mentioned, in this sound bite culture, the whole War on Women and Rand Paul's comments on the Civil Rights Bill, whatever your opinion on either, will come back to bite him.

This is why I wonder whether Rand's grilling of Hillary Clinton is going to do more harm than good. Sure, you have people who like him, but the fact is Democrats and liberals in general will just see this as more fuel for the fire when the attacks on him begin. I say when, not if, because you know that this grilling he did will come back on him in the days to follow. It's easy to cast Paul in a negative light: he's a member of a party that suffered a devastating loss, has members like Todd Akin who make outlandish comments, and looking at how liberal people are thinking, come 2016, people may just ignore the GOP altogether. Changing demographics, the fact that the GOP takes such hard stances on immigration, marriage, gun control, all of these things will be lumped onto whoever the 2016 GOP candidates are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    There's a lot right to this article and more: if unemployment drops by the time Obama's second term is done, and if Hillary Clinton does indeed run again, Republicans can pray and swear to whoever they want- it would be more than an uphill battle to try and win that election. Also, like the article mentioned, in this sound bite culture, the whole War on Women and Rand Paul's comments on the Civil Rights Bill, whatever your opinion on either, will come back to bite him.

This is why I wonder whether Rand's grilling of Hillary Clinton is going to do more harm than good. Sure, you have people who like him, but the fact is Democrats and liberals in general will just see this as more fuel for the fire when the attacks on him begin. I say when, not if, because you know that this grilling he did will come back on him in the days to follow. It's easy to cast Paul in a negative light: he's a member of a party that suffered a devastating loss, has members like Todd Akin who make outlandish comments, and looking at how liberal people are thinking, come 2016, people may just ignore the GOP altogether. Changing demographics, the fact that the GOP takes such hard stances on immigration, marriage, gun control, all of these things will be lumped onto whoever the 2016 GOP candidates are.
    I find it hard to believe that the economy will be any better in 2015 than it is today.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Who cares what the media will think????? We go through them.

Both you and the author are WAY over thinking this. Will the CRA comments hurt? Absolutely, but apart from that I couldn't find one thing in this to agree with. How can they attack Rand Paul as hating women based on what he did today? He grilled the person responsible for the death of several Americans. I don't see how it translates to being anti woman, or how anyone could spin it as such.

As for this article, the idea that the newsletters could be used against Rand is completely laughable.

Thumbs down

My comment post:

What kind of moronic drivel is this? Are you a shill for Rubio or the RNC or something? Seriously, who signs your paycheck?

That being said, your premise is ludicrous. Not running for office because your opposition may attack you, try and paint you negatively, box you in a corner, label you as a racist or misogynist, or just outright lie about you is absurd. This happens in many elections and deciding not to
    run because one might be attacked is nonsense.

Seriously, you're either unable to think critically, or you are shilling. Why did Tucker and the DC let this waste of electrons waste their bandwidth?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

This belongs in media spin. Furthermore, I'm sure Rand and his team would have an easy rebuttal to the civil rights allegations considering he's the only protecting them this day and age. All that claptrap will backfire on those schmucks and will solidify the base around him. The GOP loses when the base isn't pumped, not because people are thinking more liberally or want more gun control.

FYI The Rubio people for the record, have been freaking out of late about Rand Paul.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    FYI The Rubio people for the record, have been freaking out of late about Rand Paul.
    please, go on..

Quote Originally Posted by Havax View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the economy will be any better in 2015 than it is today.
    Republicans thought the economy would be one of the main issues that would hurt Obama come 2012 and look how that turned out.

Rubio did awful today, this is why these hit pieces are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Havax View Post
    We have really become 1984, with the country in shambles and people's 26 year old kids living at home with no good job, but people think "Obama didn't do that bad a job."

Rand is the perfect 2016 candidate because of the demographic time bomb, unless conservatism does something bold, they will go the way of the dinosaurs and there will be no return. They need to put everything on the table--abortion, gun control, immigration...all the conservative issues. We're pussy footing our way into obscurity.

...the only issue Romney won in exit polling on was the economy.

Republicans thought the economy would be one of the main issues that would hurt Obama come 2012 and look how that turned out.

That's because they sent un-motivating Mitt as their chief agent who couldn't capitalize on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    ...the only issue Romney won in exit polling on was the economy.
    Once again, and look how that turned out. Besides, by this point, the GOP has pretty much discounted Romney anyway.

I don't agree with the premise of the article. We might as well not run anyone. One could equally offer that the economy and general discontent of the nation under Obama would lead us to believe that George W. Bush could run again and win. Neither paint the whole picture and both are nothing but bunk and nonsense.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lewis voted for Ron Paul in the primary. *shrug*

Disagree with his column, however.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

On the other hand, if Hillary is way out in front in say 2015, do we just decide to stay on the sideline and wait? Let Rubio or Ryan torpedo their ambitions?

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Rubio did awful today, this is why these hit pieces are out.
    What'd he do?
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    What'd he do?
    Not an action, exactly, but I was following the Hillary hearing mainly on twitter and the conservative columnists/talking heads pretty much said Rubio was soft on Hillary and asking terrible/irrelevant questions. They lit up when it was Rand's turn and many of them said he was the best, along with Ron Johnson from Wisconsin.

The left is falsely smearing anyone that is fiscally conservative as a racist. It's that simple.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Rubio showed he was not up to the job.

Rand Paul is the de facto leader of the opposition to Obama-Boehner in Washington.

Expect more attacks, its only just started.

Ron Johnson also did a good job today but he's likely to lose his seat unless he's on the ticket with Rand Paul and Walker.

Turn Wisconsin red and the White House is the GOP's!
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Not an action, exactly, but I was following the Hillary hearing mainly on twitter and the conservative columnists/talking heads pretty much said Rubio was soft on Hillary and asking terrible/irrelevant questions. They lit up when it was Rand's turn and many of them said he was the best, along with Ron Johnson from Wisconsin.
    Ron Johnson has so much money that he could care less that it was Hillary Clinton. It was refreshing to see.

So the alternative is to just continue in a passive role, don't stand for anything, keep playing defensive, and let the media and Dems set the debate on their terms? That sounds like a good way to keep making sure Republicans lose and become irrelevant, IMO..... When the media hits Rand again for the Maddow interview it will be brutal I'm sure (and I really don't want to see Rand put through that either), but...every Republican candidate will be attacked for "being racist". They all were in 2012 and they all will be again in 2016.
    Last edited by July; 01-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Paul/Walker 2016. Like you said above I don't know if Johnson can hold his seat without this ticket. I mean Tammy Baldwin just won.

The 2016 elections are a long way off, but it’s not too early to ask this question: Is Rand Paul really the best messenger for 21st century conservatism — in this political environment — with so much at stake?
    This says a lot. The guy is pulling for someone else, and he wrote an article trying to divert Rand supporters without pissing them off. So who is the best messenger.......?
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Paul/Walker 2016. Like you said above I don't know if Johnson can hold his seat without this ticket. I mean Tammy Baldwin just won.
    http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo...ob-approval-wi
    He's still got higher approval than disapproval.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't agree with the premise of the article. We might as well not run anyone. One could equally offer that the economy and general discontent of the nation under Obama would lead us to believe that George W. Bush could run again and win. Neither paint the whole picture and both are nothing but bunk and nonsense.
    I agree. Romney, as moderate as he was, was still smeared as a racist... why the author thinks going with another moderate will somehow eliminate this particular attack from the left is beyond me.

Let's do some research on the author, who has he donated to? Who does he work for?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    I agree. Romney, as moderate as he was, was still smeared as a racist... why the author thinks going with another moderate will somehow eliminate this particular attack from the left is beyond me.
    Romney making comments about the whole birth certificate thing didn't exactly help him. No, that's not directly racist, but he didn't do himself any favors, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast