Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bentivolio votes YES on debt ceiling deal

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Yeah, Jim Jordan, Labrador, Mulvaney (all good guys) voted for it..33 Republicans voted against the deal.
    Also Tom Graves.

NONE of these guys are fiscal moderates by any stretch. They are among the biggest debt hawks. After looking into Labrador he is probably the most pro-liberty Congressman after Amash, Massie, and possibly Broun. He is aligned with us on ALL of the issues, including foreign policy and civil liberties, and of course economics and spending.

My theory is that they have something they are working on that requires this temporary extension, or there is some mechanism to the bill that will help get debt reduction going some way.

Do not go after these people yet....it doesn't seem like the whole story has been told yet.

However, as far as Kerry B goes, I don't think he is the brightest guy in the world after not knowing the voting procedure for Speaker.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

So, technically it didn't raise the debt ceiling.... it just let them continue borrowing DESPITE it.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-23-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Good guys voted yes because they think they have an assurance from Boehner on a 10 year balanced budget and the sequester to go into effect.

I think this is a strategic vote.

We all know Boehner's assurances are worth sh*t and he will sell them out and pass something with 60 Republicans suppoting it and the Democrats. Already they did with Sandy and Fiscal cliff bill so why not again.
    EXACTLY.

This is stategic, and I'm not talking about getting elected or power. It is obviously strategic in their goal to get spending under control.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    After looking into Labrador he is probably the most pro-liberty Congressman after Amash, Massie, and possibly Broun. He is aligned with us on ALL of the issues, including foreign policy and civil liberties, and of course economics and spending.
    Labrador and Broun are better than most, but aren't aligned with us on all foreign policy issues, Labrador is open to military spending cuts (Broun, not so much), they are good on foreign aid and opposed the Libya military intervention, but both are quite hawkish on Iran which is a major foreign policy issue. Jimmy Duncan and Walter Jones are much better on foreign policy.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post

So, technically it didn't raise the debt ceiling.... it just let them continue borrowing DESPITE it.
    Which is even worse IMO.

That ad helped me decide to vote for Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Labrador and Broun are better than most, but aren't aligned with us on all foreign policy issues, Labrador is open to military spending cuts (Broun, not so much), they are good on foreign aid and opposed the Libya military intervention, but both are quite hawkish on Iran which is a major foreign policy issue. Jimmy Duncan and Walter Jones are much better on foreign policy.
    Well, I don't know about Labrador's Iran stance. It might be similar to Rand Paul's.

I do know he has spoken out against being in Iraq and Afghanistan and Libya, and has co-signed a letter to cut spending from the military. And he is against indefinite detention, internet spying/regulation, and the Patriot Act.

Broun isn't with us on foreign policy(except globalist organizations), though I didn't claim he was. However, he wants to abolish the Fed and is with us on all domestic issus. McClintock is similar to Broun on voting but less activist.

Duncan and Jones are the best on foreign policy, but often lacking domestically (but aren't bad at all).

Based on both foreign and domestic policy I still have to rate Labrador #3, with Amash #1A and Massie #1B. There is a reason Amash voted him in for speaker.

We will have to see on KerryB and find out his true colors, meanwhile Steve Stockman and Ted Yoho are extremely promising and we have a good nucleus growing. Along with the usual allies like Mulvaney, Schweikert, Jordan(Massie is a big fan of his), and Huelskamp.

I stand by my earlier statement that I think Kerry's heart is in the right place, but that he is not very intelligent and thus is easily manipulated. Remember that this is a guy who was thrust into the spotlight literally out of nowhere.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Looking for new liberty candidates for 2014 and beyond

Ouch. That is disheartening.

Some liberty candidates get a big push from up top, and others who may have deserved it haven't had that wind in their sails and have even been marginalized.

So who pushed the Bentivolio candidacy?

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Can we remove his subforum now?
    Why of course not. We can use that sub forum to organize his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    So who pushed the Bentivolio candidacy?
    Bentivolio pushed himself by giving the right answers to these questions:

http://libertycandidates.com/2012/01/kerry-bentivolio/

And after he won his primary, Amash and Ron Paul pushed him by endorsing him.

OK, according to Massie the leadership wanted this extension so that they could put forth a ten year balanced budget. And he likes many aspects of what will come from this, however in the end he didnt vote for it because he wasn't sure this might continue on and on.

Go to 7:50

I know I have been spreading this video around a lot but it is very insightful to what "our guys' are planning.

Well, I don't know about Labrador's Iran stance. It might be similar to Rand Paul's.

I do know he has spoken out against being in Iraq and Afghanistan and Libya, and has co-signed a letter to cut spending from the military. And he is against indefinite detention, internet spying/regulation, and the Patriot Act.

Broun isn't with us on foreign policy(except globalist organizations), though I didn't claim he was. However, he wants to abolish the Fed and is with us on all domestic issus. McClintock is similar to Broun on voting but less activist.

Duncan and Jones are the best on foreign policy, but often lacking domestically (but aren't bad at all).

Based on both foreign and domestic policy I still have to rate Labrador #3, with Amash #1A and Massie #1B. There is a reason Amash voted him in for speaker.

We will have to see on KerryB and find out his true colors, meanwhile Steve Stockman and Ted Yoho are extremely promising and we have a good nucleus growing. Along with the usual allies like Mulvaney, Schweikert, Jordan(Massie is a big fan of his), and Huelskamp.
    Labrador is more like Mike Lee than Rand Paul. Rand Paul's 90-1 vote on pre-emotive war against Iran cemented his strong anti-war stance. Labrador has voted for many bills that would endorse pre-emptive war against Iran, like the Countering Iran in the Western Hemisphere Act.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Labrador is more like Mike Lee than Rand Paul. Rand Paul's 90-1 vote on pre-emotive war against Iran cemented his strong anti-war stance. Labrador has voted for many bills that would endorse pre-emptive war against Iran, like the Countering Iran in the Western Hemisphere Act.
    Fair enough.

This is the problem with this bill:

Harry Reid - In substance, this is a clean debt limit increase that will set the precedent for future debt ceiling extensions.

As I am watching, more statements on the bill:

Massie "I am trying to vote yes, but I'm just not there yet."

Amash "I am leaning no but open minded"

Labrador "I am on board with this because I support getting the 10 year plan"

This is NOT an easy vote.

The good guys were split down the middle on what would best get our debt situation solved. They are working together. Focus your anger on the establishment guys instead.
    Last edited by SpreadOfLiberty; 01-23-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I think the lesson here is to be cautious of people who have no prior voting record.

I wonder if he thinks this is keeping him safe? It's not. The establishment is still going to primary him. Except now he won't have any grassroots support.
    Congressman Thomas Massie didn't have a voting record, but he has turned out to be one of the greatest reps in D.C...and he voted "no" on this debt ceiling increase!

This was definitely an awkard vote, RINOs voting no, good guys voting yes. And to the above comment, Amash voted Labrador for Speaker and Mulvaney has been an ally of ours endorsed by Tom Davis many times. This was more of a strategic vote than a policy vote. I wish they would have voted no, but let's see how committed they are to cutting spending when that fight inevitably comes.
    THIS! Agree completely. This is just one vote out of what will be many votes on important fiscal issues. But we should encourage those who voted "yes" not to give in next time.

The big votes will be coming soon...and this time, we will really be able to differentiate the conservatives from the RINOs.

At first blush I am not too happy with Kerry. I am going to hold my final opinion for more info, including his own FB explanation.

I am not turning on the guy completely, but I suggest you call him up and express your discontent with his vote. We have to hold his feet to the fire. I believe him to be a decent man, but I think he might be vulnerable to being co-opted:

202-225-8171
    Defend liberty, Michiganders! Join the Tenth Amendment Center & work to nullify the Feds in your community today:

http://michigan.tenthamendmentcenter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Josh brought that up when I talked to him last week.. it may happen..
    At the very least keep it under review. This is ridiculous at this point.
    Something, something, something...Whatever my rage for the day.

OK, according to Massie the leadership wanted this extension so that they could put forth a ten year balanced budget. And he likes many aspects of what will come from this, however in the end he didnt vote for it because he wasn't sure this might continue on and on.
    How does putting forth a ten year balanced budget plan depend on their raising the debt limit?

Are they trying to say that it would take even longer to balance the budget if they didn't raise the debt limit?

And how does a budget 10 years from now have anything to do with this year's Congress anyway?
    Im not a libertarian. Im not advocating everyone run around with no clothes on and smoke pot.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    How does putting forth a ten year balanced budget plan depend on their raising the debt limit?

Are they trying to say that it would take even longer to balance the budget if they didn't raise the debt limit?

And how does a budget 10 years from now have anything to do with this year's Congress anyway?
    It never happens if it is after the term of those voting on it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Yeah, Jim Jordan, Labrador, Mulvaney (all good guys) voted for it..33 Republicans voted against the deal.
    Huelskamp voted against it.
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Huelskamp voted against it.
    Huelskamp is going to be your senator one day .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12