Thread: Guns, grassroots, and unity

Guns, grassroots, and unity

Guns, grassroots, and unity
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...ots-and-unity/

In the dark days of the Clinton (and let’s not forget, Clinton-D/Dole-R) gun bans, a local activist-leader gave me a copy of the Brady Bunch’s organizing manual.

Where he had come by it I don’t know and he wouldn’t tell. But his idea was that a young man and I should use it as a model to write an organizing manual for gun activists.

We eventually did write that manual (for print only and now long gone, far as I know). I wrote under a nom de plume I occasionally used back then.

But it took only minutes after opening the Brady’s book to realize that there was no freaking way we could base a gun-rights activist manual on it.

The reason: Everything in the Brady manual was directed toward getting corporate money and corporate media support. There was virtually nothing — nada, zip, zero — about grassroots organizing. Starting local chapters? Recruiting members? Forget it. Just get money and opinions from top of the hierarchy. Period. End of effort. That’s all you need to do if you’re a gun-banner.

Who cares what individuals think or want? Use the media to buffalo them into believing that there’s “widespread support” for “common sense gun control” and — ta da! — they’ll put up with whatever you want.
    [...]
    But times have changed (thank you, Internet). The grassroots now has a powerful medium of its own — and knows how to use it.

Here’s a fantastic example of what happens when gun-banners try to pretend to have grassroots support: “Northern Illinois gun control event blows up in the faces of sponsors”:

It was a bad Sunday for sponsors of an meeting to create a grassroots chapter of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence at the Glenview, IL Police Station Auditorium failed miserably as supporters of the Constitution and civil rights took part in the event.

In the end, unsubstantiated assertions by the gun control advocates were challenged by a boisterous audience.
    And it seems that even some members of the formerly wishy-washy corporate gun crowd have gotten the message that gun owners are both united behind a solid concept of their rights and not to be trifled with.

Reader F. alerts me to an ongoing “situation” on the east coast. Reed Exhibitions announced just a few weeks before the big Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Pennsylvania that all ugly guns would be banned from the event.

Perhaps UK-based Reed believed the hype about “widespread consensus.” They shoulda done a reality check first. No sooner had they announced their crippling of the show when exhibitors started walking out en masse.

Most of the drop-outs are small businesses — many of them with little or no relationship to ugly guns. They make duck blinds. Boats. Camping gear. Spices. Archery equipment. Knives. But out they went — even though, for many of them, the ESOS show can make or break their profits for the year.

Big boys went, too. Cabelas — a full sponsor of the show — was among the first to pull out. Then went Ruger and Smith & Wesson. TV show hosts said, “No thanks!” The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation said goodbye. Even the NRA, never known (except in the MSM) for its hardline attitude, dropped out. (Reportedly both the NRA and the NSSF had worked pretty hard to get Reed to change its tightly knotted little corporate mind.)

One after one, the exhibitors and sponsors stated, “We must be united in our support of the Second Amendment.” No more divides between the engraved-shotgun/sporting clays crowd and we more grubby gun owners. We’re all in — or we are OUT.

More are joining the boycott. It’s going to be interesting watching ticket sales plummet.

The show, which opens February 2, has now lost well over 10 percent of its 1,200 exhibitors. And boycotters have announced an online virtual show to compete with it.

No doubt some of the companies dropping out would be perfectly happy to support anti-gun compromises under other circumstances. (Ahem, Ruger …) Maybe some have just decided — given what gun owners did to Jim Zumbo, KMart, and S&W itself — that being firmly pro-gun is better than being wishy washy.

But no matter what their motives … they’ve learned the lesson. Do not mess with the millions of ordinary gun owners who care not only about their firearms, but about their inborn rights. Do not mess with individual, ordinary gun owners — who are powerful.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, I think the internet is indeed mostly the ally of liberty on this issue.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Being that I have never owned a gun or wanted one but feel much more in harmony with the liberty movement I am trying to interpet what gun rights mean to a person like me.

How will the gun regulations affect me personally?
    I think there maybe a few people who are wondering about this. I understand the erosion of civil rights being a factor. I have heard people grocery stores that I do not even know start talking about stocking up on ammo and more guns. So gently help me and people like me know what it means for the unarmed arm of the liberty movement.

- "It was a bad Sunday for sponsors of an meeting to create a grassroots chapter of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence at the Glenview, IL Police Station Auditorium failed miserably as supporters of the Constitution and civil rights took part in the event."

If you are an activist in America, and "those damn supporters of the Constitution" are actively opposing your efforts, isn't it time you asked yourself what it is that you really support? This is why we, starting with our schoolchildren, should be pledging our allegiance to the Constitution every morning.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Being that I have never owned a gun or wanted one but feel much more in harmony with the liberty movement I am trying to interpet what gun rights mean to a person like me.

How will the gun regulations affect me personally?
    I think there maybe a few people who are wondering about this. I understand the erosion of civil rights being a factor. I have heard people grocery stores that I do not even know start talking about stocking up on ammo and more guns. So gently help me and people like me know what it means for the unarmed arm of the liberty movement.
    Good question. I suggest the following:

1. An armed society is a polite society. You are less likely to be attacked or your home invaded because other people own guns and the criminal doesn't know if you do or not. As George Washington said: "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

2. The power of government needs to be balanced out by an armed public. The government is less likley to usurp powers if it knows that many of the people are armed and ready to use their arms. The unarmed citizen still benefits from the restraint the armed citizen places on government.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Thank you for your gentle response+rep for you

REED COURTS CONTROVERSY WITH ASSAULT WEAPON BAN AT US EXPO
    http://www.exhibitionworld.co.uk/new...ban-at-us-expo

AMERICAS - Reed Exhibitions USA is banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines from its hunting and fishing event, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, in a bid to avoid negative publicity.

The annual exhibition, which Reed touts as North America's largest outdoor hunting and fishing event, is a celebration of North America’s hunting and fishing traditions, held on 2-10 February at the State Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg PA. The show features 1,200 exhibitors offering a diverse range of products from outfitters to fishing boats and recreational vehicles, archery to art and clothes to cabins.

However, this year Reed is cancelling the tactical gun and accessories section planned to occupy the Wild West Hall, and tactical weapons, high capacity magazines, supporting brochures and documentation, will not be allowed at the show.

The organiser’s decision follows Barack Obama’s announcement last week on new gun control measures, widely acknowledged as the US President’s response to recent shootings in America, including the massacre at Sandy Hook elementary school on 14 December. An assault rifle was the principal weapon used at Sandy Hook.
    ========
    Reed Exhibitions Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show Bans “Assault Rifles”
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ssault-rifles/

Yesterday, Reed Exhibitions announced that exhibitors would not be permitted to show or sell modern sporting home defense tactical rifles at this year’s Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. They’d decided ”not to include certain products that in the current climate may attract negative attention that would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing.” [Full statement after the jump.] According to blog.pennlive.com, “Ed Several, general manager of the show, said the decision will impact five exhibitors out of the more than 1200 registered for the 2013 show . . . Several said the decision covers ‘just this year. Take a break for a year.’” The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) condemned the action but recommended that show-goers should go to show and protest the decision. [Press release after the jump.] Once again, The People of the Gun are learning who their friends are . . .

Reed Exhibitions Statement:

“The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show is a unique celebration of the authentic hunting and fishing traditions that are cherished by millions of Americans and their families.

“We are proud to celebrate these pastimes by featuring 1,200 exhibitors offering a diverse range of products from outfitters to fishing boats and RVs, from archery to art and from clothes to cabins.

“As a hunting-focused event, we welcome exhibitors who wish to showcase products and firearms that serve the traditional needs of the sport.

“Clearly, we strongly support the Second Amendment.

“However, this year we have made the decision not to include certain products that in the current climate may attract negative attention that would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing at this family-oriented event and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests.

“ESS is proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of the rich hunting and fishing tradition passed from generation to generation by American families.”

NSSF press release:

The National Shooting Sports Foundation strongly disagrees with the decision of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show’s management to disallow the display and sale of Modern Sporting Rifles at its 2013 exhibition. In our discussions with Reed Exhibitions, we have made this very clear. While assuring us that all legally available firearms will be welcome at future Eastern Sports and Outdoor Shows, it was explained that this unfortunate decision was made in response to the planned actions of a single retailer that would have drawn significant unwelcomed media coverage at a time when firearms ownership is being assailed in the media. It is important to note that this year’s show will continue to feature a wide variety of firearms. However . . .

It would be unfair to penalize the 1,200 exhibitors or the some 200,000 sportsmen and women who will attend the show by discouraging participation at a time when the hunting and shooting sports community needs to be united in the face of political challenges. We urge industry exhibitors and attendees to participate in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show as planned and encourage attendees to visit the Reed Exhibitions booth at the show to share their concerns and to then enjoy the show.
    (lots of good comments and links in this comment section)
    ========
    Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show organizer decides no tactical rifles in 2013 show
    http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsma...2013_show.html
    ========
    Cabela's pulls out of Harrisburg outdoors show over gun flap (605 comments)
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...harrisbur.html
    ========
    Pa. Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs threatens to pull out of Harrisburg outdoors show over gun banPa. Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs threatens to pull out of Harrisburg outdoors show over gun ban (177 comments)
    http://pennlive.com/midstate/index.s...tsmens_cl.html
    ========
    NRA joins boycott of outdoors show over organizer's assault-weapons ban (170 comments)
    http://pennlive.com/midstate/index.s..._outdoors.html
    ========
    Hundreds of vendors boycott outdoors show over gun ban; are you attending? (79 comments)
    http://pennlive.com/midstate/index.s...oycott_ou.html
    ========

BOYCOTT!
    http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/01/18/...les-magazines/

The Boycott Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/BoycottTheE...AndOutdoorShow

People boycotting the show have already started to organize, and they are also doing great work in highlighting the exhibitors who are taking a significant financial loss and pulling out of the show over this decision – even when their products aren’t being banned (yet).

Gun owners, especially those in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland, are asked to contact Reed’s headquarters at 203-840-4800, inquiry@reedexpo.com, or by fax at 203-840-5805.

Or, as boycotting folks have noted, the information for the Reed employees (or director contractors) assigned to run the ESOS were previously published online, and some of the key folks include:

Group Vice President – Ed Several
    Phone: 203-840-5932 Fax: 203-840-9932 Email: eseveral@reedexpo.com

Event Director – Chris O’Hara
    Phone: 717-368-7487 Fax: 203-840-9868 Email: cohara@reedexpo.com

Public Relations – Deb Davis
    Phone: 717-834-6267 Fax: 717-834-6207 Email: ddavis@conceptoneinc.com

Marketing – Cathy Kitlasz
    Phone: 203-840-5871 Fax: 203-840-9781 Email: ckitlasz@reedexpo.com

If you have a moment, also consider checking out the products of some of the companies that have decided to stand with us and lose the investment they paid to exhibit at the show. Here are the ones I have found so far:

click through for links:
    http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/01/18/...les-magazines/

Nature Blinds
    Cutting Edge Bullets
    Lancaster Archery Supply
    Atlantic Tactical
    Boondock Outdoors
    Whitetail Bosses
    Trop Gun Shop
    Dead Ringer Hunting
    Domari Nolo Defense Consulting
    Kinsey’s Outdoors
    Direct Action Tactical
    Hunters and Guides Connection
    Cabela’s
    Upper Canyon Outfitters
    CanCooker
    Zook Cabins
    Full Circle Outdoors
    The Warmbag
    Drop Tine Outfitters
    Northern Outdoor Lodge
    Hunter Safety
    System
    Outdoor Edge Knives
    Bowhunting.com
    Major League Bowhunter
    Eastern Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation
    Foxpro Game Calls
    Trijicon
    Cold Steel
    Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs

In addition to the above vendors who are sacrificing thousands of dollars just in deposits and many more thousands in lost sales, The Bear Whisperer, Fred & Michele Eichler, Lee & Tiffany Lakosky, and Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo are withdrawing from their promotional and seminar appearances.

Again, tons of good comments...

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 01-24-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Boycott of Harrisburg show over assault weapon ban snowballs
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...tml#incart_hbx

Rob Kaufhold's gut told him it would get "ugly" when the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show banned the presence of assault rifles and high-capacity magazine rounds. The explosiveness of the gun control issue, and the power of social media, he believed, would assure that.

His instincts were looking good Wednesday, as a growing list of vendors and celebrities announced they would boycott North America's largest outdoor show, which is set to begin Feb. 2 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

The owner of Lancaster Archery Supply said he quickly concluded outdoor enthusiasts would hold it against his business if he participated in the show. He said he further envisions an attendance drop that will cut into sales.

"I was looking at a lose-lose preposition," said Kaufhold, 51, whose business sells archery gear, not guns.

On Wednesday, a website promoting the boycott listed more than 200 vendors as having pulled out of the show. The show typically draws about 1,200 vendors.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, Reed Exhibitions, which runs the show, hadn't responded to repeated requests for comment on the situation.

Organizations publicly stating their intention to boycott included retail giant and show sponsor Cabela's, the NRA, the Chambersburg-based Sportsmens Liquidation and the Marysville-based Pennsylvania Taxidermist Association. Sportmens Liquidation said it had booked 130 booths.

Jamie Gray of Lebanon, the Olympic air rifle gold medalist, said on her Facebook page she will boycott the event.

The sole remaining sponsor listed on the show's website, Progressive, was "evaluating" its role as a sponsor. In an email, a spokesman said: "Progressive's sponsorship strategy is not designed to make a political or social statement or to endorse or advance any political agenda or lifestyle; it's simply to sell insurance… We are evaluating our sponsorship with the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show and will let you know if we will make any changes in the coming days."

Members of several Harrisburg-area organizations who plan to boycott said they are taking a stand against a show organizer they perceive as caving in to parties that would limit Second Amendment rights to own guns.

"This show is based on guns and weapons and the outdoors. They are supposed to be promoting those kinds of things. That's what the show is for," said Steve Kepner of North Mountain Pepper Works, which is boycotting the event. The Lycoming County-based business produces a line of food products, including relishes and preserved peppers.

Dave Houser, the president of the taxidermist association, said: "Without guns, there is not much taxidermy to be done. It's not good for the association or its members to be associated with an event that's against parts of the Second Amendment."

His organization planned to run a taxidermy competition at the show, with about 125 of its members participating. Now there will be no competition, and Houser predicted few of of the association's 500 members will attend the show.

Houser further noted that Cabela's hosts his association's main annual competition, and its board doesn't want to risk jeopardizing its relationship with the retailer.

Kepner said he planned to spend nearly $1,400 for a small booth at the show, plus more on items including parking permits.

"You need to hit [Reed Exhibitions] where it hurts, and that's in the pocketbook," said Kepner, 48. "They are going to lose over $3,000 or $4,000 on me alone."

Doug Dietrich of American Whitetails of Pennsylvania said that on one level the decision to boycott was painful.

The West Hanover Township-based hunting guide service is a part-time business. Because of their full-time jobs, the three proprietors are unable to travel to other shows.

"That's really where we get all of our business, other than return customers," he said of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. "We hoped to pick up at least 20 people for our guided hunts."

Dietrich, who shoes horses for a living, says he's normally against boycotts, protests and generally mixing business with politics.

But he said he was propelled to action by "misinformation put out by the media" and some politicians regarding the Second Amendment, which he believes is intended to give Americans the ability to protect themselves, and which he believes extends to so-called assault rifles such as the AR-15.

"The objective is to draw attention to the fact that we're about to lose a right, a human right to protect yourself," said Dietrich, 44.

While Comcast's logo was on the show's website earlier this week, a spokesman said the cable TV giant was not a sponsor and had never been a sponsor. The logo was removed Wednesday.

Several vendors interviewed Wednesday predicted attendance will be down substantially, and further said Reed Exhibitions will be unable to rebuild credibility with outdoor enthusiasts, who will forever view the organization as weak on gun rights.

However, Mark Finnegan, owner of Shamrock Holsters of Craig, Colo., said the boycott won't stop him from attending the show.

He further said he knows many venders from the western United States who plan to attend. “Everybody I know is coming,” he said.

Tom Conlan, the founder of Aid Our Veterans, hadn't heard of the boycott as of Wednesday afternoon.

The Maryland-based nonprofit, which exists to help struggling veterans, mans a booth at the show to raise money and to meet families that can refer it to veterans who need help. It will attend the show, and the boycott and surrounding issues have no bearing on the organization's mission, Conlan said.

-t

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Remember that big outdoor show where the exhibition company banned ugly black guns?
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/C...ly-black-guns/

Yeah. You remember how Reed Exhibitions, run by those quivering, politically correct Brits, tried to ban ugly black guns from the huge Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show early this year. They got got clobbered, slammed, obliterated, run out of town by gutsy vendors and presenters — most of whom had nothing to do with the banned items.

It was a fabulous display of unified support for gun rights.

Well, guess what? After Reed “postponed” the show, they eventually abandoned it altogether. And the NRA, which had opposed the cowardly ban, took over the show and will be producing it next year under a new name, the Great American Outdoor Show.

Yippee, eh?

Um, not quite. It seems that while the NRA will allow vendors to display guns, there will be no actual, you know, firearm sales allowed.

Time to give the NRA’s crippled show the Reed treatment?
    NRA won't allow sale of guns at Great American Outdoor Show
    http://lancasteronline.com/article/a...#ixzz2RmPLsawh
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock