Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Admin: Sports are a civil right

Obama Admin: Sports are a civil right

WASHINGTON (AP) — Breaking new ground, the U.S. Education Department is telling schools they must include students with disabilities in sports programs or provide equal alternative options. The directive, reminiscent of the Title IX expansion of athletic opportunities for women, could bring sweeping changes to school budgets and locker rooms for years to come.

Schools would be required to make "reasonable modifications" for students with disabilities or create parallel athletic programs that have comparable standing as mainstream programs.

"Sports can provide invaluable lessons in discipline, selflessness, passion and courage, and this guidance will help schools ensure that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to benefit from the life lessons they can learn on the playing field or on the court," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in a statement announcing the new guidance on Friday.

Federal laws, including the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, require states to provide a free public education to all students and bans schools that receive federal funds from discriminating against students with disabilities. Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.
    cont
    http://news.yahoo.com/sports-civil-d...-politics.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wheelchair rugby!

I wonder how much it will cost to install special showers in every school.

Schools would be required to make "reasonable modifications" for students with disabilities or create parallel athletic programs that have comparable standing as mainstream programs.
    How much more money is this gonna cost us now?

Going further, the new directive from the Education Department's civil rights division explicitly tells schools and colleges that access to interscholastic, intramural and intercollegiate athletics is a right.
    LOL...
    Last edited by Lucille; 01-25-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Divide and conquer. Check.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Give the Obama Administration credit, their gradualism at chipping away bit by bit makes it hard for the lay-person to argue.

What, you don't like disabled people?? Bigot.

/sarc

Ah, those immutable, universal "rights." I am sure they won't infringe on anyone else's "rights"...
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

What about those of us who were simply "athletically challenged" in high school? Will we still be regulated to playing clarinet in the marching band, or will we be guaranteed a spot on the football roster?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    What about those of us who were simply "athletically challenged" in high school? Will we still be regulated to playing clarinet in the marching band, or will we be guaranteed a spot on the football roster?
    What's wrong with clarinet? /plays clarinet
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This is a clarinet:

You put your mouth on something else.

What about people who are only good at playing the skin flute?

Get em used to wearing kneepads right from the start. No legs? The government will make reasonable modifications just for you so you can still be a part of the "team." Yay!
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

I can't stop chuckling about this. It's all just so absurd! The Ruling Class has systematically destroyed our natural rights, and then goes about making up ridiculous new ones!

Sports: a right
    Due process: not a right

Medical care: a right
    Protection from unreasonable search and seizure: not a right

Abortion: a right
    Prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment: not a right
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    This is a clarinet:

You put your mouth on something else.
    Your future wife is going to be very disappointed.

---------

I don't understand this - there are great non-profit groups already in place that offer students with disabilities an outlet to play sports, engage in team-building, etc etc. This seems like a plan that'll backfire quite quickly... because kids are $#@!s.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Will this be applying to programs like cheerleading as well? If so, this could lead to some seriously bizarre accidents.

Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    What about people who are only good at playing the skin flute?
    If they're pretty enough, send them my way.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I can't stop chuckling about this. It's all just so absurd! The Ruling Class has systematically destroyed our natural rights, and then goes about making up ridiculous new ones!

Somebody needs to put this in front of Obama's face and ask for clarification.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Makes sense to me.
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by paulbot24 View Post
    Will this be applying to programs like cheerleading as well? If so, this could lead to some seriously bizarre accidents.
    It's okay. Like yoga, fat girls don't do cheerleading.
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulfollower999 View Post
    Oh rly?
    [IMG]

Down south, they call that curvy, not fat.
    Rand Paul 2016

Just how we like them.

This is easily rectified. Just put the "special" class on the golf course in front of sir-golfs-alot and he will be changing his tune instantly...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Nothing! My son played clarinet in the H.S. band....he would have made a terrible football player though.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Up here in the north, we give things like that as wide a berth as a wall full of VMS manuals during an earthquake...

-t

Fat girls do yoga, it's just not very nice to see.

Mr. Obama, please don't apply this "now everybody can be an astronaut" idea to our space program. It will lead to a surge in employment opportunities in Houston, at least in the short-term.

Thread winner!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Not good enough. You have to go disable yourself to fit the special category. So if you want to play football and you such at it, cut off your pinky toe or something.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Thread winner!
    We're all winners. Quit being so insensitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast