Thread: Rand Paul: House leaders retreated on debt

Rand Paul: House leaders retreated on debt

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ebt-86546.html
    Sen. Rand Paul accused House Republican leaders of having “retreated” in the face of a confrontation with President Barack Obama, criticizing their decision to vote on raising the U.S. debt ceiling this week during a speech in South Carolina Monday night.

In remarks to the Charleston Meeting, a gathering of conservative leaders in the first-in-the-South presidential primary state, Paul rebuked the House for its plans to delay the debt limit fight by a few months. Republicans intend to vote this week on raising the country’s statutory debt limit to delay a spending standoff with the White House by about three months.

“I saw the speaker on TV handing the newly sworn-in president a flag. I am afraid it was the white flag of surrender,” the Kentucky Republican said, according to a GOP source present at the meeting.

Alluding to the House GOP’s gathering last week in Williamsburg, Va., Paul jabbed: “They came out of their retreat and retreated.”

Paul’s Inauguration Day remarks are the latest indication that he’s staking out an unrelenting, small-government position in the Republican Party as he weighs a national campaign in 2016. The Kentuckian voted against a fiscal cliff deal earlier this month that a huge majority of Senate Republicans supported.

In South Carolina Monday, he spoke at length about the need to home in on spending and debt as the country’s chief challenges. His remarks on the debt ceiling put him squarely on the conservative, confrontational side of the GOP’s internal debate over how aggressively to use the borrowing limit as leverage against the White House. Obama has said he will not negotiate over the debt ceiling and Democrats have derided Republicans as “hostage-takers” for threatening to trigger a national default.

Paul also warned the GOP against making concessions to Senate Democrats in exchange for the Democratic-held chamber passing a budget. The Senate has not passed a budget since 2009. New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, a senior Democrat, said that would change this year but that any spending plan would “include revenues” from tax reform.

Speaking at the Charleston event alongside National Rifle Association President David Keene, Paul talked as well about defending the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms, the GOP source said.

A Paul spokesman declined to comment on the record on the Charleston speech, which was closed to the press.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, I hope he made some key allies and impressed some folk down there. Just curious as to how many saw him speak at each venue. And, was Capt Lou there?

Anytime he targets Boehner-Cantor, I get fired up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    Anytime he targets Boehner-Cantor, I get fired up lol.
    I think this is more directed at Ryan, because that's who he hit when he was talking about the House leadership a couple of months ago.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/13/ra...conservatives/

RandPAC email: “According to news reports, two of the congressmen were purged from the Budget Committee for voting for a five-year balanced budget plan — instead of Paul Ryan’s budget which balanced in 28 years."

Rand on Peter Schiff: "I don’t know if any of these people want to run for president — maybe they’re going to have to explain why they wanted to purge people from their committees who believe in balancing the budget."

There was also a private argument about the Ryan plan between them, which ended in Ryan saying that Rand's plan doesn't cut entitlements substantially and would in his opinion, sky-rocket the deficit (this is probably an argument Ryan will use if/when he runs for president in the primary debates):
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_852080.html

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.