Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty For All and Teaparty groups seek to defeat McConnell in 2014

Liberty For All and Teaparty groups seek to defeat McConnell in 2014

FRANKFORT ¡ª Many of Kentucky's Tea Party leaders are plotting a strategy to defeat U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell in the 2014 Republican primary, a spokesman for a group calling itself the United Kentucky Tea Party said Tuesday.

Tea Party groups in the state are so dissatisfied with McConnell that "we are working on a battle plan with the ultimate goal to retire him next year," said John T. Kemper III of Lexington, a spokesman for the group.

Kemper's comment came a day after the group, which describes itself as a roundtable of leaders from more than a dozen Tea Party groups in Kentucky, issued a news release warning McConnell that "we will not allow our message or movement to be co-opted for political purposes."

Kemper, a developer who lost a bid for state auditor in 2011 and a bid for Congress in 2010, would not identify any potential opponent for McConnell, the Republican Senate leader, but acknowledged that he is "probably on a short list of folks."

Meanwhile, an out-of-state Super PAC expressed interest in helping "the right candidate" defeat McConnell. Last year, Liberty For All spent almost $700,000 to help elect Republican Thomas Massie to Northern Kentucky's 4th Congressional District seat.

Preston Bates, executive director of Liberty For All, said in an email Tuesday that McConnell is "anything but a tea partier" and is "that special politician who could unite libertarians, independents, anti-war Democrats, everyone" against him.

"Should the right candidate emerge ¡ª be they Republican, Democrat, or Independent ¡ª Liberty For All will remain committed to electing those dedicated to more civil liberties, more economic freedom, and freeing America from corporate influence," Bates said.

Liberty for All is primarily funded by John Ramsey, a college student from Nacogdoches, Texas, who is armed with an inherited fortune.

McConnell, who has represented Kentucky since 1985, is seeking re-election next year. So far, no one has announced to challenge him. He already has a $7 million campaign war chest and the endorsement of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Bowling Green, a Tea Party darling.

In a news release sent by email late Monday, the United Kentucky Tea Party said McConnell and state Republican leaders are being "intellectually dishonest" by calling anyone associated with McConnell's campaign a Tea Party leader.

"The Tea Parties in Kentucky are led by local grassroots individuals, not by any national organization," the statement said. "Any representation otherwise by the Republican Party leadership of Kentucky or Senator McConnell and his surrogates is inconsistent with the truth and will be vigorously and publicly disputed every step of the way."

Kemper said the group was referring to McConnell's campaign manager, Jesse Benton.

Benton led the 2010 general election campaign of Paul, who rode the Tea Party wave to defeat Attorney General Jack Conway in the general election and the McConnell-backed candidacy of then-Secretary of State Trey Grayson in the Republican primary election.

Benton also managed the 2012 presidential bid for Paul's father, former U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. Benton is married to one of Ron Paul's granddaughters.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/01...#storylink=cpy
    more at link: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/01...#storylink=cpy
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'd rather see them go after Graham.

McConnell has a 20 million dollar war chest. Waste of time. Be smarter than this Liberty For All.

McConnell deserves opposition or we have no credibility.

I suspect if Davis is in it, they will also go after Lindsay, but how is he worse than McConnell?

Also, they said 'the right person', who might not step up.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    McConnell has a 20 million dollar war chest. Waste of time. Be smarter than this Liberty For All.
    I presume they're looking for a big fish to fry to boost their status but I agree that Graham should be the target.

They tout themselves as the PAC that wins elections. If they support a candidate against McConnell it's because McConnell can lose.

This is getting big. What I find most encouraging is that over a dozen Tea Parties in Kentucky refuse to be co-opted. Even though they face the most formidable opponent, they are standing strong for their beliefs. This should be encouraged. On top of it, the issues we disagree with McConnell on WILL be publicized. His deeds will NOT go unchallenged.

Don't get angry with Rand or liberty candidates if they don't jump on this very challenging endeavors - we need them positioned for even bigger battles. This tendency is the biggest drawback to taking on McConnell... It's simply not worth it if it undermines our heavy hitters.

Know that if a good candidate emerges, a large force of Tea Party volunteers will be backing them up on the ground. This is roughly the same coalition that took Phil Moffett within 10% of beating the Republican Senate President in the primary for governor, despite having 1/10th of his funds. With any national support at all, we might've pulled it off.

McConnell will be a bigger hill to climb, but let's see how the situation unfolds. Put your money where it'll have most effect - state house races are less expensive and often overlooked... other senate races (like Graham,) or this one if we get line up a good situation.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They need to target Chambliss too if Broun runs.

McConnell will be the one establishment Senator in 2016 that endorses Rand. Chambliss and Graham are better targets, with guys in the state that we can already trust and not have to dig up somewhere, they just need convincing.

McConnell has screwed the country for decades. Who is worse?

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I presume they're looking for a big fish to fry to boost their status but I agree that Graham should be the target.
    Graham is much weaker and has less money. Plus there's good candidates from SC that could step up.

It isn't either or. Until Rand endorsed McConnell I fully expected we would be going full bore opposing both Graham and McConnell, since they are the two worst.

Waste of time trying to take out the Senate Republican leader.

McConnell has 8 million dollars and plenty of state wide recogition and goodwill in the state.

If they find anyone they will have a huge uphill battle and ultimately likely fail.

There are much better opportunities, we should be focused on WV and finding a good conservative there because it's an open seat and very winnable.

People who want to work on it can, and those who don't don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    This is getting big. What I find most encouraging is that over a dozen Tea Parties in Kentucky refuse to be co-opted. Even though they face the most formidable opponent, they are standing strong for their beliefs. This should be encouraged. On top of it, the issues we disagree with McConnell on WILL be publicized. His deeds will NOT go unchallenged.

Don't get angry with Rand or liberty candidates if they don't jump on this very challenging endeavors - we need them positioned for even bigger battles. This tendency is the biggest drawback to taking on McConnell... It's simply not worth it if it undermines our heavy hitters.

Know that if a good candidate emerges, a large force of Tea Party volunteers will be backing them up on the ground. This is roughly the same coalition that took Phil Moffett within 10% of beating the Republican Senate President in the primary for governor, despite having 1/10th of his funds. With any national support at all, we might've pulled it off.

McConnell will be a bigger hill to climb, but let's see how the situation unfolds. Put your money where it'll have most effect - state house races are less expensive and often overlooked... other senate races (like Graham,) or this one if we get line up a good situation.
    I agree with a push towards targeting House seats over Senate seats. Senate seats take at least 5 million dollars or more. To win a Senate seat with a liberty candidate, we'd need an outstanding candidate in the first place, and so far Kentucky doesn't seem to have anyone that could foreseeably step in to challenge McConnell. We'd all have to be pulling in the same direction to win a Senate seat and I think only Graham could galvanize everyone of us against him at this point.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    it's a complete distraction though when you get excited and post dozens of threads on no hope causes, raising people's hopes and diverting precious resources.

McConnell is not going down despite what the media might want

you act as if other people's resources were yours to direct.

Everyone should obviously decide how to use their own time and resources, but I thought one of our points here is not to get in the way of others taking the actions they want to see move forward just because we may not always agree on priorities.

you act as if other people's resources were yours to direct.

Everyone should obviously decide how to use their own time and resources, but I thought one of our points here is not to get in the way of others taking the actions they want to see move forward just because we may not always agree on priorities.
    I won't be too happy if Preston Bates and Liberty for All spend millions of dollars in Kentucky to try and take down the Republican leader and lose badly because they have some unknown candidate who is not up to the job and is unlikely to catch fire.

I think they were waiting to see if the right candidate came forward.

Perhaps they are trying to hint the support would be there if the right candidate did.

I think Jesse Benton is going to have something to say about that..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Senate seats take at least 5 million dollars or more.
    This is a sickening reality. Our elections aren't won - they're bought. So let's just accept that a creeper like McConnell will stay in office screwing us, irreparably, because nothing can be done about the fact that our elections are bought and paid for - and the money goes to.......the main stream media - the brainwashers.....yep....we're screwed until there's REAL campaign finance change.

Carry on...
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Rands took about $3 million, I believe, plus grass roots. Once he got past the nomination, of course, he had other support.

THIS one will take more because McConnell has more to spend.

Did Rand really endorse McConnell?
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It isn't either or. Until Rand endorsed McConnell I fully expected we would be going full bore opposing both Graham and McConnell, since they are the two worst.
    When you have finite resources, yes it is an either or decision. I'm not entirely convinced we have the resources to mount credible challenges to multiple Senate seats simultaneously. To defeat someone as entrenched as McConnell you need to secure the three M's: Man, Money, Message

At this juncture we have none of those requirements fulfilled.

Well, keep in mind Rand won by 24% with even funding. We don't have to match them dollar for dollar to take them down.

McConnell hired Jesse Benton precisely because he was worried about a challenge. He believes in it more than some of you do. Yes, we should be realistic, and some of us may be called to work in different races, but don't be so quick to bow down to Jesse/McConnell and dismiss the race out of hand. Doing that is just like fueling the "Ron Paul can't win" line in the media. We have achieved some amazing and improbable things here in Kentucky before.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    Well, keep in mind Rand won by 24% with even funding. We don't have to match them dollar for dollar to take them down.

McConnell hired Jesse Benton precisely because he was worried about a challenge. He believes in it more than some of you do. Yes, we should be realistic, and some of us may be called to work in different races, but don't be so quick to bow down to Jesse/McConnell and dismiss the race out of hand. Doing that is just like fueling the "Ron Paul can't win" line in the media. We have achieved some amazing and improbable things here in Kentucky before.
    Rand was a terrific candidate and had the perfect message. See my post above. You need the planets to align and have all those things in place to have a shot. You'd also need 10 million dollars because this potential challenger would be a political unknown.

Rand was a terrific candidate and had the perfect message. See my post above. You need the planets to align and have all those things in place to have a shot. You'd also need 10 million dollars because this potential challenger would be a political unknown.
    Moffett was an unknown and with 1/10th of the funds, came within 10% of beating the Republican State Senate President in the primary for governor. He was not a good speaker, and did this with no help from the national movement because of certain folks relentlessly making discouraging posts. The power of the Tea Parties in Kentucky even took Rand by surprise... everyone expected it to be a blowout, not a 10% difference. So again, realism is fine, but discouragement is not helpful.

Your propensity for sending people off on fools' errands stretches out our resources. I know you're trying to play the role of diplomatic schoolmarm here, but it's severely damaging to the liberty movement.

We had to reign in this mentality during the campaign too. We accomplish nothing when everyone is scattered to the wind.

Your propensity for sending people off on fools' errands stretches out our resources. I know you're trying to play the role of diplomatic schoolmarm here, but it's severely damaging to the liberty movement.

We had to reign in this mentality during the campaign too. We accomplish nothing when everyone is scattered to the wind.
    Wow, this is dispicable on so many levels. Sailingaway isn't damaging the liberty movement, what a ridiculous assumption. You not only insult her, but everyone else because you assume we need YOU to keep us on the straight and narrow since we can't think for ourselves. We're not the borg. Wow. How about you "reign in" your self-righteous attitude.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast