Thread: POLL: McConnell Weak, Only 34% of Republicans Supporting

Lightbulb POLL: McConnell Weak, Only 34% of Republicans Supporting

It looking like the right candidate could not only hold him accountable for his votes, but maybe even win the race with sufficient resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier Journal
    Twice as many Kentucky voters say they will vote against U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell as say they will definitely vote for him in the 2014 election, according to the latest Courier-Journal Bluegrass Poll.

The poll comes as groups on both McConnell’s right and left are trying to recruit candidates to challenge him in the primary and general election in two years, when McConnell, the most powerful Republican in the U.S. Senate, seeks his sixth term in Washington.

According to the poll of 609 registered voters, 34 percent said they plan to vote against McConnell while just 17 percent say they will vote to give him another six years. The poll found that 44 percent said they will have to wait and see who is running against him and 6 percent said they are not sure.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.1 percentage points.

The poll found that while 51 percent of Democrats said they definitely vote against McConnell, only 34 percent of Republicans said they would back him against all comers.

McConnell has already begun his re-election campaign in earnest, making computerized phone calls just over a week ago touting his opposition to President Barack Obama’s gun-control proposals.

Democrats considering campaigns against McConnell appear to be on hold, waiting for actress Ashley Judd to decide if she will enter the race. Some high-ranking Democrats, including U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth, of Louisville, have been pushing a Judd candidacy.

Meanwhile, a group of 17 tea parties from across the state says it is actively recruiting someone to challenge McConnell in the primary and that its top goal is to retire McConnell. The group charges that the senator has supported debt-ridden budgets and profligate spending throughout his career.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...36273099866717

A quick check of Bluegrass Polling indicates they called the last presidential and senate race pretty accurately. Don't know their record on early polls. http://www.whas11.com/community/blog...102238199.html
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The media would love for us to get distracted with a possibility of a big name scalp like McConnell but really liberty supporters and tea party people should be looking at WV, IA and GA for Senate races and not the Senate Republican leader who is going to spend 20 million on his re-election.

McConnell is not weak in any way shape or form, he's hugely famous in Kentucky and he hasn't even started campaigning yet.

Furthermore any Republican in KY worth their salt will not be spending 14 months of their life going round the state trying to take him on as it's completely fruitless.

Don't fall for the hype and look to WV, IA and GA where there is more bang for your buck and the chance of victory in an Open contest

Rand, Massie and every elected Republican official will be strongly supporting McConnell in 2014 that is for sure and so will most of the GOP county chairs and leaders.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Really? Is that what is happening in my state?
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

I am confident McConnell is annihilated in the general. Which isn't a bad thing, since the leadership may pass to Cornyn, which makes Cruz #2 (or tied for it with Moran)
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    I am confident McConnell is annihilated in the general. Which isn't a bad thing, since the leadership may pass to Cornyn, which makes Cruz #2 (or tied for it with Moran)
    it would be disaster for Rand if he lost in the general ,which I dont think he will. They have built up a good relationship and that is useful for all sorts of reasons.

McConnell will survive but I'm sure it will an expensive race.

Cruz is not number 2, dont be silly. Thune, Barasso and Blunt are also in the leadership.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Looks like Dr. Greg Brannon is running for Senate in NC and he could actually win. I will spend my time and money in that race instead of fighting the McConnell machine.

I think Kentucky is awesome. These grassroots there are really kicking ass, and to be honest even if unseating McConnell isn't possible or a priority, the liberty activists are turning this state around from the looks of it, putting pressure on an incumbent senator like this. This is something amazing to be watching in my opinion. I love Kentucky and the Kentuckian liberty movement activists. $#@! yeah!!!!!!!

Hat tip to Kentucky. Keep all elected officials feet to the fire! Prove their loyalty to our Constitution by the votes they cast!!!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know, I live in Boehner's district, and people around here are pissed off at him. They are sick of the RINO's, at least it seems in my area they are. It remains to be seen if even a viable candidate will oppose him in the primary, let alone an actual liberty candidate. But people are definitely pissed off about the spending that keeps going up and up and up with no fight. These are different than McConnel's issues, but he definitely has issues.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    I don't know, I live in Boehner's district, and people around here are pissed off at him. They are sick of the RINO's, at least it seems in my area they are. It remains to be seen if even a viable candidate will oppose him in the primary, let alone an actual liberty candidate. But people are definitely pissed off about the spending that keeps going up and up and up with no fight. These are different than McConnel's issues, but he definitely has issues.
    Boehner has that seat until he retire's, you know it and everyone else does to. It's virtually impossible to remove a leader try looking at history and see how many times its happened? I can't remember the last time!

What you should be doing in the district is putting someone on the ladder to succeed him, a state rep or Senator, find one and work with them over the years and position them to run for the seat when he's gone and takes his fat lobbying job, probably in about 6 years so get working on it West Chester!
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-28-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Boehner has that seat until he retire's, you know it and everyone else does to. It's virtually impossible to remove a leader try looking at history and see how many times its happened? I can't remember the last time!

What you should be doing in the district is putting someone on the ladder to succeed him, a state rep or Senator, find one and work with them over the years and position them to run for the seat when he's gone and takes his fat lobbying job, probably in about 6 years so get working on it West Chester!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Daschle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Foley
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

The media would love for us to get distracted with a possibility of a big name scalp like McConnell but really liberty supporters and tea party people should be looking at WV, IA and GA for Senate races and not the Senate Republican leader who is going to spend 20 million on his re-election.

McConnell is not weak in any way shape or form, he's hugely famous in Kentucky and he hasn't even started campaigning yet.

Furthermore any Republican in KY worth their salt will not be spending 14 months of their life going round the state trying to take him on as it's completely fruitless.

Don't fall for the hype and look to WV, IA and GA where there is more bang for your buck and the chance of victory in an Open contest

Rand, Massie and every elected Republican official will be strongly supporting McConnell in 2014 that is for sure and so will most of the GOP county chairs and leaders.

Are you Jesse Benton? Why do you come to McConnell's defense every time his name is mentioned?

Even if you are a hardcore Rand supporter, why would you keep coming to McConnell's defense? He tried to take down Rand at all cost in the primaries.
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-28-2013 at 09:56 PM.

They didn't lose a primary.

that is true
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopian View Post
    Are you Jesse Benton? Why do come to McConnell's defense every time his name is mentioned?

Even if you are a hardcore Rand supporter, why would you keep coming to McConnell's defense? He tried to take down Rand at all cost in the primaries.
    No, I'm not Benton.

Trying to take out McConnell is a waste of time, a costly and futile exercise when there are better and more winnable races like IA, WV, GA and that's just so far. McConnell will spend $20 million on this election and will have the full support of every Republican official in the state.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, I'm not Benton.

Trying to take out McConnell is a waste of time, a costly and futile exercise when there are better and more winnable races like IA, WV, GA and that's just so far. McConnell will spend $20 million on this election and will have the full support of every Republican official in the state.
    I expect him to spend 30 million this time, he spent 20 million last time. Not to mention McConnell led the fight against Citizens United, so I expect big SuperPAC money to come to his defense (in either election).
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

I know it won't happen because of all his $$$ and the fact that he is a master campaigner, but it sure would be nice to see Mitch just go ahead and retire gracefully if the polls look bad for him early on. Senator Massie sure does sound good. I wonder when we'll see some polling of McConnell vs generic tea party primary opponent? I'm sure PPP would do it just to humiliate him.

Either way, thankfully this is probably it for ol' Mitch, I really don't see him running again in 2020.

No, I'm not Benton.

Folks that think running a primary challenge to McConnell could be even remotely successful show how clueless they are in regards to electoral politics. It's time they step away from internet land and get into the real world so they can come down to reality. I am not sure of the number, but based on its size my guess is that KY has anywhere between 5000-10000 GOP committee men and women that are ready to knock on doors for McConnell should he face a credible primary challenger.

Like you have been saying, it is a complete and utter waste of time and money to primary McConnell, when there are so many other races to focus on.

Aside from winning, establishment Gop primaries people who don't toe the line, whether win or lose, it makes them spend money, and sometimes changes their ways. Seems to me they think that tactic works, given how many times they've done it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Aside from winning, establishment Gop primaries people who don't toe the line, whether win or lose, it makes them spend money, and sometimes changes their ways. Seems to me they think that tactic works, given how many times they've done it.
    Establishment types have more money and more people. Resources are limited on our end which is why we need to pick and choose our battles diligently.

but we aren't a joint fund, everyone decides where to put their own money, and priorities differ.

I'm interested to see what grass roots in Kentucky do, and what candidate they put up. I think they've already made a point.

If McConnell is scalped so is benton.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    but we aren't a joint fund, everyone decides where to put their own money, and priorities differ.

I'm interested to see what grass roots in Kentucky do, and what candidate they put up. I think they've already made a point.
    But we need to operate like a joint fund in order to be effective. This does two things: 1) allows us to focus on certain races, giving us a better chance at winning, rather than throwing pennies at every single race and losing all of them.
    2) it prevents us from being co-opted by groups like "Tea Party Express." If you had a strong federation of Kentucky TEA party groups focus on putting heat on McConnell, supporting Massie's reelection bid, and throwing some bucks to a state like Alaska or North Carolina, we can be far more powerful

My opinion, we should just keep pressuring McConnell so he goes Orrin Hatch and suddenly votes like a card carrying JBS member, and focus on races where our money can actually influence things and get some people elected.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll be the first to say that I want Mitch out but I agree with the others that unless we were to go all out, he's safe. Rand and TMass obviously know something behind the scenes that we don't which makes them pick other battles. So, yes we (the relatively cohesive liberty political movement) should be looking elsewhere to open seats as well as NC and AK for starters. My piece of advice for these Tea Party folks (hopefully many are delegates) in KY is to make themselves more handy by weening their party off the primary system in favor of picking their Senate nominees in a caucus/convention style system. Had this been implemented already, they could've pulled a coup a la UT in 2010. This should be one of the main focuses when reforming one's state party. That said, I'm positive that each state's C4L operates at varying capacities and may not have the initial strength to where this is feasible. I'm curious as to what % of delegates that go to the KY state convention are tuned in with the liberty wing and/or the cousin conservative wing vs the establishment wing especially considering Rand is the Senator there. Also, if Rand's internal state allies are ok with having Mitch around, there's not much you can do outside of a state convention.

Ashley Judd and Dario Franchitti are ending their 11 year marriage, not really news, but this stuff could play in Kentucky.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...split/1876005/
    Last edited by supermario21; 01-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.

"Folks that think running a primary challenge to McConnell could be even remotely successful show how clueless they are in regards to electoral politics. It's time they step away from internet land and get into the real world so they can come down to reality. I am not sure of the number, but based on its size my guess is that KY has anywhere between 5000-10000 GOP committee men and women that are ready to knock on doors for McConnell should he face a credible primary challenger."

Maybe so but those are awful polling numbers for an entrenched incumbent. Even an under-funded, unknown candidate could do well vs. McConnell just being the anti-Mitch to disgruntled Republicans.

Is it at least worth a shot, to give McConnell's challenger some exposure for the future?