Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RED ALERT: Sen. Saxby Chambliss to announce retirement

RED ALERT: Sen. Saxby Chambliss to announce retirement

U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss will announce this morning that he’s dropping plans to run for a third term in 2014, a decision certain to set off an avalanche of Republican candidates who will seek to replace him.

Word out of Washington is that Chambliss broke the news to his senior staff this morning.

At least two GOP House members from Georgia, Paul Broun of Athens and Tom Price of Roswell, have been contemplating primary challenges to Chambliss, who has been criticized for participating in a bipartisan effort to broker a deal to address a $16 trillion federal deficit.

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...ce-retirement/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Broun 2014 starts now!

He actually wants to End The Fed.

Ron Paul will no doubt want him to be the next Senator from Georgia.

Very interesting.

I like Paul Broun a lot, but I want to keep this senate seat. If Paul Broun enters, I may support him, but I would also look at supporting Tom Price or Karen Handel. Paul Broun has said some things that I agree with, but a lot of independents in Georgia would be misled by the liberal's attacks on him.

I truly believe Paul Broun can offer more in the House of Reps. That being said, let this by no means signify that I don't like Paul Broun. He is one of my FAVORITE congressmen. That is why it would be so sad if he was taken out of congress. We need his voice in the House of Reps. He should remain there and when we get more conservatives in 2014, we can make him SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE!
    Last edited by Spoa; 01-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Maybe Bob Barr ??

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Maybe Bob Barr ??
    No. Hardly anyone in Georgia knows him that well, and he has some views that won't go well with the majority of Georgians.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    No. Hardly anyone in Georgia knows him that well, and he has some views that won't go well with the majority of Georgians.
    Surely people in GA know who Bob Barr is.

I find it hard to believe they don't.

He was the Libertarian Presidential nominee in 2008 and a former congressman.

He's a very effective campaigner and can win them over if he tried for the seat and had the finances.

Here's a run down from AJC:

-
    In my mind, the list is not short. Here are some possible names, in alphabetical order and with some thoughts about their respective likelihood of running:

Paul Broun: The congressman from Georgia’s 10th District is first on the list alphabetically but probably would be first on the list if I were ranking the possibilities by likelihood of running, too. He has been not-so-coy about giving consideration to running for the seat.

Casey Cagle/Brian Kemp/Sam Olens: Georgia’s lieutenant governor, secretary of state and attorney general, respectively, all appear to be lining up for a battle royale in Georgia’s 2018 gubernatorial primary (i.e., after Gov. Nathan Deal would have served two terms). Might one of them see an open Senate seat and give serious thought to making his move four years earlier? If so, it would almost certainly be just one of these three — and quite possibly none of them.

Herman Cain: The erstwhile presidential candidate ran for U.S. Senate in 2004, losing in the GOP primary to now-Sen. Johnny Isakson, and the local rumor mill has been churning about his possible interest in challenging Chambliss. That said, he is already publicly denying he has any interest. Of course, he did just start a job this very week as Neal Boortz’s replacement at WSB radio, so he’d pretty much have to say that, right? Keep an eye on him just in case.

Newt Gingrich: I wouldn’t have put him on the list, but his spokesman did not at all deny the former U.S. speaker and presidential candidate might have interest when my colleague Daniel Malloy asked about it. So, here he is.

Tom Graves: The congressman from Georgia’s 14th District is a tea-party favorite and widely believed to have higher ambitions. He might be less inclined to run if Broun gets in.

Karen Handel: She’s a former Georgia secretary of state, past gubernatorial candidate and, famously, a central figure in the dispute over Susan G. Komen for the Cure’s short-lived decision to end subsidies to Planned Parenthood. At this point, I think she’s less likely to run for this seat than a lot of the early buzz would have it. I think it’s more likely she would run in the 6th Congressional District if Tom Price were to run (see below). But if Price doesn’t run for Senate, I suppose that could change.

Barry Loudermilk: The state senator from Cartersville is believed to have interest, but most likely if Broun does not run. At this point, and with so many other big names likely considering the race, it’s possible we won’t see any state legislators running for the U.S. Senate — but participation by those big names could draw a lot of state legislators to run for the U.S. House.

Sonny Perdue: Put Georgia’s immediate past governor in the Gingrich-ian “not ready for the retirement home” category.

Tom Price: One of Georgia’s most visible congressmen, and the former head of the House’s Republican Study Committee, Price has been a much-discussed potential candidate. He might decide to keep trying to rise through the ranks in the House — particularly if Speaker John Boehner shows vulnerability — or he might try to switch chambers. One caveat: Whereas Deal might remain neutral about the other candidates in the race, the word is that a Price candidacy would spur him to choose sides — against Price, who infamously switched his allegiance to Handel in the 2010 GOP gubernatorial primary.

Austin Scott: The congressman from Georgia’s 8th District is the only South Georgian on the list, and he’s a very strong possibility to run now that Chambliss is out of the race.

Wild cards: Erick Erickson publicly considered challenging Chambliss but said in November he wouldn’t do it; would an open seat change his mind? (Probably not, it appears.) U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland would be an instantly serious candidate if he were to get into the race, but he’s given no indication in the past he’s interested. And there may well be a non-politico who surprises everyone by choosing this as his/her moment to get into politics (no, I don’t have anyone in mind).

How about on the Democratic side? There already was a feeling among Georgia political observers that Georgia’s severely weakened Democrats would choose to concentrate their resources on one statewide race, and that this would be it. Now that it’s an open seat, I think that’s even more likely.

http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/...enate-in-2014/

-

Saxby Chambliss to retire!!!

Saxby to retire in 2014

This is great news for Paul Broun.. but also perhaps the Democrats.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    YAY!! I haven't voted for him since his bailout vote. Glad to see this dixiecrat move on.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Barrow, one of the few remaining white, Southern blue-dogs, expressed no interest in running for the Dems. We should get behind one candidate so we don't have to worry about gaffes, preferably Broun. I am a bit worried his birther-esque comments could rile up the African-American vote in the state.
    Last edited by supermario21; 01-25-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thus, the Primary essentially becomes the election. These are the types of seats we need to be targeting. Open seats where the primary is basically the election is where we are favored. Knocking off incumbents, meanwhile, is always a huge a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    I like Paul Broun a lot, but I want to keep this senate seat. If Paul Broun enters, I may support him, but I would also look at supporting Tom Price or Karen Handel. Paul Broun has said some things that I agree with, but a lot of independents in Georgia would be misled by the liberal's attacks on him.

I truly believe Paul Broun can offer more in the House of Reps. That being said, let this by no means signify that I don't like Paul Broun. He is one of my FAVORITE congressmen. That is why it would be so sad if he was taken out of congress. We need his voice in the House of Reps. He should remain there and when we get more conservatives in 2014, we can make him SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE!
    Paul Broun is one of the 3-5 closest Reps to Ron Paul we have in the House.

Georgia is a red state, and Democrats will be unpopular in 2014, so the biggest risk would be not getting Broun in office. Also, the Democrats really don't have a strong candidate themselves. Since I live here, I will personally be spending a lot of time working for Broun if he runs.

See: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Previous-Bills

Broun will never be Speaker. Price however is one of the better people in leadership so we would be better off keeping him in the House.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Barrow, one of the few remaining white, Southern blue-dogs, expressed no interest in running for the Dems. We should get behind one candidate so we don't have to worry about gaffes, preferably Broun. I am a bit worried his birther-esque comments could rile up the African-American vote in the state.
    If Kasim Reed doesn't run, and I don't think he will, the Democrats will have nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    Paul Broun is one of the 3-5 closest Reps to Ron Paul we have in the House.

Georgia is a red state, and Democrats will be unpopular in 2014, so the biggest risk would be not getting Broun in office. Also, the Democrats really don't have a strong candidate themselves.
    Amen to that

Basically: Spend a ton of money on the Primary and skate in the General Election. It is like the seat was tailor made for us. This should be priority one, well over Graham.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need to get behind Broun for this seat.

Without doubt he can win this if he has the right financing and campaign and then he's the Senator.

Maybe Bob Barr ??
    Please be joking.

Surely people in GA know who Bob Barr is.

I find it hard to believe they don't.

He was the Libertarian Presidential nominee in 2008 and a former congressman.

He's a very effective campaigner and can win them over if he tried for the seat and had the finances.
    Oh Christ you're not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    Basically: Spend a ton of money on the Primary and skate in the General Election. It is like the seat was tailor made for us. This should be priority one, well over Graham.
    Like we did with Massie.

SpreadofLiberty, is Georgia really THAT red? I know it's likely a dumb question, but McCain only beat Obama by a bit more than 5 in 08, and Romney only won by about 8 this year. Also, when Chambliss was up in 08 he was pushed to a runoff (49.8-46ish) election. I just get worried about the lefties pushing the racist teabagger meme against Broun even though he is an MD and the black/liberal vote gets fired up and moderates vote for the Dem....You know the state a lot more than I do, are my concerns warranted or am I just being too cautious?

SpreadofLiberty, is Georgia really THAT red? I know it's likely a dumb question, but McCain only beat Obama by a bit more than 5 in 08, and Romney only won by about 8 this year. Also, when Chambliss was up in 08 he was pushed to a runoff (49.8-46ish) election. I just get worried about the lefties pushing the racist teabagger meme against Broun even though he is an MD and the black/liberal vote gets fired up and moderates vote for the Dem....You know the state a lot more than I do, are my concerns warranted or am I just being too cautious?
    I think it is, though in my district Republicans often go unopposed.

Democrats aren't very motivated unless there is a national race going on, like 2008 and 2012. (Chambliss went on to win 57% in the runoff, which was after the general election so the Dems stayed home) And Romney still beat Obama by 8 points.

I don't see the Democrats heavily targeting GA despite what they say. 1-They have to defend a ton of Senate seats in 2014, and can't afford to go on offense. 2-It is unlikely the Democrats field a good candidate in Georgia.

There is no real state Democratic infrastructure either, while the opposite is true for the Republican party and there are tons of Tea Party groups who have wanted to replace Chambliss for a long time.

It is not a guaranteed win but it is worth the risk for sure.
    Last edited by SpreadOfLiberty; 01-25-2013 at 06:26 PM.

In a midterm election, where the inner-city vote won't turn out nearly as much, definitely a safe seat.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Looking for new liberty candidates for 2014 and beyond

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Broun has been pushing End the Fed legislation, there is no way you're going to find better than that in Georgia.

Plus he's elected congressman.

Hopefully the other congress people will stand down if Broun is definitely in. Price is the worry I think.

I don't know Georgia. But if a strong liberty supporter doesn't surface then... go with Broun. I am an outsider but from what I see he is the best of the tainted bunch being mentioned thus far.

What about Graves? He is probably in the better half of the Republican caucus in the House. Broun comes with a certain amount of baggage- he won his congressional race under very unusual circumstances that will likely not repeat in a crowded primary- although if he made a runoff, who knows what would happen.
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

Broun has underwater favorability among Republicans, and only draws 6% of the vote in a race between a bunch of the rumored contestants. Not saying it isn't possible that he can win (cause Chambliss and Cain took up over 50% of the vote), but it seems a bit unlikely at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Broun has underwater favorability among Republicans, and only draws 6% of the vote in a race between a bunch of the rumored contestants. Not saying it isn't possible that he can win (cause Chambliss and Cain took up over 50% of the vote), but it seems a bit unlikely at this point.
    Most GA folk don't know much about him. If the random Tea Party groups get ingratiated towards him and push him on to the rank and file, I can see him catching on big time. As someone else mentioned, all he needs is a slick campaign team to sell all his strong points and positions and the pieces will fall in perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Most GA folk don't know much about him. If the random Tea Party groups get ingratiated towards him and push him on to the rank and file, I can see him catching on big time. As someone else mentioned, all he needs is a slick campaign team to sell all his strong points and positions and the pieces will fall in perfectly.
    Well if Herman Cain doesn't run, you can expect that teo-con clientele to potentially line up behind Broun (which would be about 40% of the vote). In a low turnout primary, that could even be enough. The problem is that Broun seems to have high disapproval relative to the other candidates, even with his name not being very known.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast