Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cuomo going full tilt with extreme abortion bill

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Actually no, they were sentenced to death. Their sentence was alter commuted.
    Do you know what They received a suspended sentence. (No jail time). even means? IT MEANS THEIR SENTENCE WAS COMMUTED!

The judges found there was no common law defense of necessity to a charge of murder, either on the basis of legal precedent or the basis of ethics and morality, which is what you're arguing.
    A) They received a suspended sentence which should tell you something.
    B) The effect of the suspended sentence was that the judge split the difference between "okaying murder in a necessity" and the state killing people for being forced to make a horrible choice.
    C) Your "Take the baby out with the rest of the tissue and throw it in the trash and it's not an abortion because the Catholic church says so" position is untenable.
    D) Pushing someone away from your raft because he's attracting sharks is quite different from killing and eating him. So your analogy doesn't even fit what I was saying.

Really, this is stupid hairsplitting on your part. And the end of the day the baby is dead and the mother is alive if everything goes right. Under normal circumstances both of us would agree that neither cutting the fetus out and throwing it in the trash nor pumping in chemicals with the intent of killing the fetus would be acceptable. And the original example that I gave, giving a mother chemotherapy which happens to kill the baby, is even less like abortion that what you find acceptable because the Catholic church told you so. Hell, under my example the baby could even have a fighting chance! Maybe it's really resilient to chemo? But no...no. Cut it out and throw it in the trash so you have the pope's blessing.

Edit: This is what I said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    That said, in every pregnancy there is the possibility of the woman coming down with some disease like cancer where the prescribed treatment could very well kill the fetus. If she's made it to late term a c-section can be performed, but earlier that's a legit reason for an abortion.
    And this is how you quoted me.

but earlier that's a legit reason for an abortion.
    Let me know when you're ready to debate honestly.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 01-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Ever since the first abortion was performed guessing (circa A.D.) someone decided who lives and dies. Not to get off topic but wars are fought on that premise.
    Try Classical Greece, Hippocrates mentions abortion (and prohibits it) in his Oath.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Do you know what They received a suspended sentence. (No jail time). even means? IT MEANS THEIR SENTENCE WAS COMMUTED!
    They did not receive a suspended sentence. The convicted received a royal prerogative of mercy from Queen Victoria. And a suspended sentences is not the same thing as a commuted sentence.

C) Your "Take the baby out with the rest of the tissue and throw it in the trash and it's not an abortion because the Catholic church says so" position is untenable.
    There is a big difference between something which has one purpose, that is to kill the child, and another which is a to medically cure the mother through the removal of tissue which unfortunately leads to the death of the child because we do not have the technology to transplant the child into the uterus.
    Last edited by Confederate; 01-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    There is a big difference between something which has one purpose, that is to kill the child, and another which is a to medically cure the mother through the removal of
    tissue which unfortunately leads to the death of the child because we do not have the technology to transplant the child into the uterus.
    1) Chemotherapy, what I talked about initially and what you dishonestly clipped out, has the sole purpose of curing cancer, but it can cause a natural abortion.

2) Medically what is described in point #1 is still called an "abortion" but your Catholic sensibilities cause you to react illogically when the word is used.

3) Taking "tissue out" and "throwing it in the trash" when there is still a baby inside is no ethically better then injecting chemicals to kill said baby no matter how you or 1 million other Bishops try to dress it up.

Edit:

4) Your "it's okay to take the baby out with the tissue and throw it in the trash" position actually fits the "pushing someone who's bleeding and attracting sharks out into the water" scenario whether you can admit that or not. In both cases you aren't directly killing the "victim" (different from the cannibalism case you cited) and in both cases the victim doesn't immediately die. In fact in the shark case there's always the possibility the victim could catch a ride on a dolphin.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 01-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NYers are idiots that beg for their rights to be taken away. They are a hopeless bunch.

(I live in NY)

Quote Originally Posted by loveableteddybear View Post
    NYers are idiots that beg for their rights to be taken away. They are a hopeless bunch.

(I live in NY)
    Vox Day asked yesterday, "Note that the Canadian government backed down when Canadians didn't comply. Are New Yorkers really more servile than Canadians?"

Evidently yes, they are. (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWGZpu_TXw#t=1m53s
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I agree with Confederate 110%. I live in NY. Cuomo Bloomberg and all the rest are all filth. This new proposal is disgusting.

I urge people to read up on Abortion in the soviet union. The Statistics and numbers are astonishing. That where we are headed in this country.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123