Thread: [SkyNews]: Is Obama set to preside over the end of American empire?

[SkyNews]: Is Obama set to preside over the end of American empire?

China And US Enter New Territory Over Economy
    SkyNews.com
    Monday 21 January 2013

China is forecast to have the world's biggest economy by 2016, but does this one-party state want to be the world's policeman?

Barack Obama officially begins his second term as US president but the legacy of his next four years may already have been written.

If predictions are correct, President Obama is set to preside over the end of an empire as America is eclipsed by China as the world's economic superpower.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has predicted that China will become the world's largest economy by 2016 - a milestone which will have profound global geopolitical implications.

The fundamental shift explains why the direction of the US/Chinese relationship is more important than any other over the coming few years. In a recent interview with Time magazine, President Obama put the relationship and the broader Asia-Pacific region at the top of his agenda.

"We are helping to shape and frame what the Asia-Pacific region will look like. That's critically important because that’s where the growth and population and increasing centre of gravity is going to be.

"China is going to continue to rise and we should hope for China's success. A stable China that over time is transitioning to a more open, democratic society would be really good for us economically and politically."

The US became the world's most powerful country economically more than 100 years ago, since then that clout has allowed Washington to establish itself as the world's leader.

America has, to the benefit of some and the detriment of others, acted for decades as the world's policeman.

It has the world's pre-eminent military force and the most advanced monetary system. The US dollar is the only genuinely global currency.

It is no coincidence that organisations like the International Monetary Fund and the United Nations should be based in America.

All that has been possible because of America's position as the largest economy on earth and victory in the Second World War.

But China's meteoric rise over the past few decades could change everything.

If the OECD is right, then the economic sun will set for America in the
    second half of 2016 - three years into Mr Obama's second term.

America will no longer be able to boast about being number one, a fact that is bound to play as a pivotal moment in the psyche not just of Americans but of those who will be taking the baton - the 1.3 billion people of China.

As the economic leader, will China take on the responsibility as the global policeman? Will an ever increasing Chinese clout shape world events? Will the West increasingly bow or succumb to Chinese demands because their economies are so entwined in China's?

http://news.sky.com/story/1040702/ch...y-over-economy
    Last edited by kety; 01-21-2013 at 05:03 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The end of the American empire I would welcome... its the American Republic that I am concerned with.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    The end of the American empire I would welcome... its the American Republic that I am concerned with.
    I am not. The Republic died many decades ago. Top for this one to burn and a new one to arise.

Meh, China's GDP per capita will still be like 1/4 of America's.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Which means it will have at least that much headroom to continue growing.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    GDP also includes government spending... so its not much to brag about.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

The US GDP is $15 trillion and China's GDP is $7.2 trillion. Even at 0% and 10% annual growth rates, China doesn't come close to passing the US by 2016 in terms of GDP.

So what exactly is it that China will pass the US in by 2016?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._GDP_(nominal)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    The US GDP is $15 trillion and China's GDP is $7.2 trillion. Even at 0% and 10% annual growth rates, China doesn't come close to passing the US by 2016 in terms of GDP.

while that may be true, i feel the GDP numbers are bull$#@!. If we produce more $#@! then china, why is everything in the United States made in china? I should see more american made products than Chinese.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post

while that may be true, i feel the GDP numbers are bull$#@!. If we produce more $#@! then china, why is everything in the United States made in china? I should see more american made products than Chinese.
    Last edited by psi2941; 01-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

FACT:

The USA produces FAR more QUALITY than China.

FACT:

China overwhelmingly makes garbage trinkets. While they may be improving, their overall quality is nothing like American made.

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    The American Republic died after the Union won the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    FACT:

FACT:

China overwhelmingly makes garbage trinkets. While they may be improving, their overall quality is nothing like American made.

I think some would disagree that China makes garbage trinkets:

If it is true that China exports garbage trinkets-it is then equally true we export wealth to purchase those trinkets. You tell me who is coming out the winning end
    Last edited by TomtheTinker; 01-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarLocke View Post
    I think some would disagree that China makes garbage trinkets:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPhone (and most other electronics) is designed here in the US and then assembled in China.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPirate View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPhone (and most other electronics) is designed here in the US and then assembled in China.
    That's correct. But it's a good example of how China can work with its neighbors and the U.S. to put out quality products. The iPhone is far from a garbage trinket and it sells by the millions. So they're certainly capable of putting out quality products.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meh, A revolution stirs in China methinks. Can't keep that many people poor forever.
    Best of luck in life.

Indeed, that is why that many people will be killed if a revolution was to get started

america started going down hill in the early 80's when washington started taking down the middle class thru --trickle down--wto--gatta--nafta .

we do mfr great hamburgers .

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    FACT:

FACT:

This was true 20 years ago.
    It is less true today.

Go find a tool sold by Harbor Freight that you would think would be a piece of $#@!. I can practically guarantee that there's at least four FAQ's on the internet for what you need to do to turn it into a badass tool capable of competing with American made products.

It's true that they're not selling them ready to go out of the box. But people are willing to spend 1/4 the cost on a tool they need to spend a couple hours tweaking.

America did the same thing to the Japanese in the 1960s. Back then, anything that came from Japan was crap.
    They did it to the Koreans int he 1990s. Back then, anything from Korea was crap.

Everything the Chinese produce today is ten times better than it was 20 years ago. And quality is not going down.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.