Thread: Kentucky US Rep. Thomas Massie Charts His Own Path

Kentucky US Rep. Thomas Massie Charts His Own Path

Congressman Geoff Davis, a Republican serving Kentucky’s 4th congressional district, announced in 2011 that he was retiring from office at the end of his term, but in the summer of 2012, Davis resigned his seat immediately.

With a resignation so late in his term and hoping to save the cost of a replacement election on another date, this created an unusual scenario: a special election and general election on the same day. Thomas Massie, the judge-executive of Lewis County and the winner of the May Republican primary, holds the rare distinction of being sworn in immediately following the November election.

Before he became a congressman, Massie was born in West Virginia and moved to Kentucky, and became a stand-out in several fields. A graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Massie is the owner of 24 technology patents and still receives royalties on a patent developed during his undergraduate thesis.

A judge-executive before taking office, a position in Kentucky local government that is likened to being mayor of the county, Massie has quickly set himself apart from many of his colleagues.

At the start of the 113th Congress, Massie broke ranks and opposed John Boehner (R-OH) for Speaker of the House. In a sign of solidarity with his colleague and lack of confidence in current leadership, Massie cast his vote for Michigan Republican Justin Amash, one of four Republicans allegedly removed from their committee assignments because they had not sufficiently voted the party line.

In another departure from his party, Massie voted against HR 3783, a resolution for a “comprehensive strategy to counter Iran’s growing hostile presence in the Western Hemisphere” that many saw as furthering the likelihood of a future US-Iran confrontation.

Almost immediately following the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, when many were clamoring for more or stricter gun free school zones, Massie announced legislation that would effectively repeal such zones. Despite much objection, Massie defends his position:

“A bigger federal government can’t solve the problem. Weapon bans and gun free zones are unconstitutional. They do not and cannot prevent criminals or the mentally ill from committing acts of violence. But they often prevent victims of such violence from protecting themselves.”
    more: http://ivn.us/2013/01/20/kentucky-us...-his-own-path/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Massie is going to be a future Ron Paul. These people are rare as hell but we need to find more of them!

He's been a principled man so far. Off to a great start.

My favorite congressman. Perfect liberty voting record thus far.

Paul/Massie 2016.

Man I really hope that I get one of the intern spots with him! It's gonna be a long couple of weeks waiting for them to contact me with anything.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

Quote Originally Posted by seyferjm View Post
    Man I really hope that I get one of the intern spots with him! It's gonna be a long couple of weeks waiting for them to contact me with anything.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Paul/Massie 2016.
    I don't think two people from the same state would be a good idea.

Not to mention they have the same hair style!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post