Thread: Unexpected votes on Racial Justice Act 09 Repeal (2011) and Reform (2012)

Unexpected votes on Racial Justice Act 09 Repeal (2011) and Reform (2012)

The problem here was that both parties were wrong.

The Democrats had set up a system where certain statistics based in the judges and courts involved on a convicts sentence of death would trigger the ability to file for a hearing. If racism was determined, then the sentence was reduced to life in prison.

The Republicans were pretending that racism didn't exist and calling the whole thing a Democratic attack on the death penalty.

The problem with the Republican position here is obvious, and although many were more articulate, that was the overall gravity of it. Some of the key players were personally focused on statistics also, but still played it politically like an attack on the death penalty etc.

The Democrat position is even worse, but deceiving in it's rationality.

The fundamental problem is that statistics don't commit crime. Statistics don't commit racism to hand out verdicts or sentences. People do that. You can't hang justice on statistics. We aren't mush, we are people, and the more government forgets that, the more we will continue to erode our individual rights.

What should have happened in the RJA was the creation of a very low man-power preliminary hearing process, a place where such statistics would then be allowed as evidence, where a defendant has apprx 90 minutes to argue that racism had a negative impact on his sentence or conviction, and then a judge and a panel work much like a grand jury with indictments, but instead of handing out an indictment they are handing out full trials to determine 1) did racism occur? and 2) if so what is the corrective action for justice."

The RJA09 was almost worse than nothing for several procedural and practical reasons alone. But on principle it made the act several orders worse than nothing. Leaving aside the statistics piece, the RJA09 only allowed an empaneled judge to reduce sentence from death to life. So, what if the Judge actually found that racism somehow led to that innocent man's conviction in the first place? Sorry guy, here's your life in prison now. I suppose he might get a pardon from the Governor then. So it actually harms justice directly in some cases. Also, it only covers the death penalty. I understand the whole creeping incrementalism camel's nose under the tent, but isn't the community a lot more affected by racism in drug convictions than murder convictions? I believe I recall that African Americans make up some 12% of drug users but 54% of drug convicts. Why not start where you will have the most real benefit instead of just symbolic?

So the Democrats were wrong in the RJA09 to attach justice to statistics instead of to individuals and people where it belongs. The Republicans were wrong to just sit there and act like racism wasn't an issue at all in the justice department, and to not try and replace the RJA centered on our own Republican principles.

I knew above all we had to repeal the statistics piece, because it would do serious long-term damage to the whole concept of 'justice' at the State level. Yet I was horrified by the justification under which we were operating. Later I voted against overriding the governor's veto on the 'compromise.' The compromise worse than the original repeal.

I argued on the House floor "do I want to be shot in the head or in the heart?" and called both parties out for childishness and hard headedness.

One thing that did though is Speaker Tillis and President Berger suddenly took me awful serious on my threat to oppose the override of the budget. and asked me what I wanted. So I asked for a House Resolution, (985?) condemning the suspension of Habeas Corpus in the 2012NDAA. A House Resolution only, no Senate involvement. Forty minutes later they came back and told me I had a vote on HB36 Ballot Access in the Senate.

They dead refused to hear a House only Resolution only on the NDAA Indefinite Detention, and instead pressured the Senate to hear my Ballot Access bill.

So I opposed the veto override of the RJA compromise, and called out every party involved while doing so. It was fun in a 'a million people are watching right now, am I going to survive this?' kind of way.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 01-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow Glen good job. Are you going to run again? I hope you will think about it. We need you in government.

Thanks, eventually yes. I don't much like being there in the first place, and I'm not about to work 120 hours a week to get a job I don't want, when I'm doing all that work alone, ever again. so there's that. If people want me in office then they will come help me because forkitall if I am ever going to burn 72 and 96 hour days again for a frelling campaign I do myself. Best way to sent me in a hurry to live in a hole in Wyoming somewhere.

ETA: in 2010, Moresco came out for the final stretch, and just having one person help was the difference between winning and losing. When I say 'that was the difference one person made" you may not understand. That was the difference one person made. because other than an occasional passerby lending a hand, that was just about how many people who really stuck in to help.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 01-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Gunny, what is your state district? I have inlaws in parts of N.C., south of Winston Salem.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Gunny, what is your state district? I have inlaws in parts of N.C., south of Winston Salem.
    Now it's all messed up. State Senate 18 State House 25 US Congress 13

but I would like to become Walter Jones's heir maybe, and you can do that in NC.

Southwest Franklin County north of Wake and Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Now it's all messed up. State Senate 18 State House 25 US Congress 13

but I would like to become Walter Jones's heir maybe, and you can do that in NC.
    You can run for 3rd district rep? When might that be? I would like to get some of the inlaws involved promoting your campaign when that happens (My wife's nephew comes to mind, and perhaps brother). Will you be running for state senate or rep in the meantime?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 01-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    You can run for 3rd district rep? When might that be? I would like to get some of the inlaws involved promoting your campaign when that happens (My wife's nephew comes to mind, and perhaps brother). Will you be running for state senate or rep in the meantime?
    It would be a while. I know Jones wants to serve at least 2 more terms, so that would not be a quick route by any means, but what it WOULD do is let me make enough money so I can kick off a descent enough campaign with my own holdings. If I were to take this specific route, then I would probably look for a job as a Jones policy asvisor and make myself completely invaluable to him, so in say 3 terms when he decides he's had enough and can leave the office in good hands, I get his contacts and networks.

So if I take the Jones-heir route, I may not be in office for another 6 to 8 years, but it will be most of a gimme.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    It would be a while. I know Jones wants to serve at least 2 more terms, so that would not be a quick route by any means, but what it WOULD do is let me make enough money so I can kick off a descent enough campaign with my own holdings. If I were to take this specific route, then I would probably look for a job as a Jones policy asvisor and make myself completely invaluable to him, so in say 3 terms when he decides he's had enough and can leave the office in good hands, I get his contacts and networks.

So if I take the Jones-heir route, I may not be in office for another 6 to 8 years, but it will be most of a gimme.
    So, currently you are weighing this out, correct (running for state rep/senate or work for Jones for a couple of terms)? Do you have good contact with Jones right now? I think you would make a good advisor for him, it could get him grassroots support and he could do some good things for the state/country (as well as you getting good contacts and experience).