Thread: Algeria launches 'final assault'; 7 hostages dead

Algeria launches 'final assault'; 7 hostages dead

Remind me to never get rescued by Algerian special forces. 2:3 hostage to militant dead ratio not good odds.

AIN AMENAS, Algeria (AP) — Algeria's special forces stormed a natural gas complex in the middle of the Sahara desert in a final assault Saturday, killing 11 militants, but not before they in turn killed seven hostages, the state news agency reported.
    The latest deaths bring the official Algerian tally of dead to 19 hostages and 29 militants, although reports on the number of dead, injured and freed have been contradictory throughout the crisis.
    On Thursday, Algerian helicopters opened fire on a convoy carrying both kidnappers and their hostages, resulting in many deaths, according to witnesses.
    Casualty figures varied widely. The Algerian government now says 19 hostages and 29 militants have died since Thursday. Before the final assault, the militants claimed through the Mauritanian website ANI that the helicopter attack alone killed 35 hostages and 15 militants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...-dead/1847203/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AP has a reporter in Ain Amenas , saying 19 hostages dead, 29 of hostage takers dead.Total.
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.

The corporate history of BP (British Petroleum) is really amazing. Gulf oil spill, Sha's overthorow in Iran, this episode in N Africa & spoils of war in Iraq. Plus there genuis marketing campaign, labeling them the GREENEST of all energy co's.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    The corporate history of BP (British Petroleum) is really amazing. Gulf oil spill, Sha's overthorow in Iran, this episode in N Africa & spoils of war in Iraq. Plus there genuis marketing campaign, labeling them the GREENEST of all energy co's.
    Do you have books you can recommend on this topic? Just saying because I am interested.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    Do you have books you can recommend on this topic? Just saying because I am interested.
    Confessions of an Economic Hitman.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

i'd not want to be rescued by the algerians..

What about the Nationalities of the hostages? Werent some of them American European etc? Any condemnation of this major Algerian $#@! up?

ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — The death toll from the terrorist siege at a natural gas plant in the Sahara climbed past 80 on Sunday as Algerian forces searching the refinery for explosives found dozens more bodies, many so badly disfigured it was unclear whether they were hostages or militants, a security official said.

Algeria said after Saturday's assault by government forces that at least 32 extremists and 23 hostages were killed. On Sunday, Algerian bomb squads sent in to blow up or defuse the explosives found 25 more bodies, said the security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Confessions of an Economic Hitman."

Brian 4liberty, haven't read this.. though I want too, does he specifically mention BP?