Thread: Teacher Problem

Teacher Problem

My son is the number 2 sophomore at his high school. His GPA is .01 less than the #1 kid who happens to be one of his best friends. The Problem is my son has had a teacher for 2 years who grades in a questionable manner. When my son was a freshman this particular teacher told me and my wife that in 20 years he has only given higher than a 90 on class participation twice and in both cases it was to girls that did extra credit projects. That class was tools and materials. Unknowingly my son signed up for CAD with the same teacher this year. The grading policy of this particular teacher drags my sons GPA down. My son is in all advanced classes. He has 103 in Pre-Cal, 99 in Biology….. This kid is very smart and has an amazing attitude! Well don’t you know I complained earlier this year. Now the teacher gives 95 for class participation because "the class is so smart". This is after talking to the administration. Recently my son overheard this teacher tell a female student that he will give her a 97 for class participation if she gets pencils out of the cupboard and puts them back at the end of class.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess this answers that thread "why girls get better grades than boys."

Your son is a perfect candidate for homeschooling.
    Red: the blood of angry men
    Black: the dark of ages past
    Red: a world about to dawn
    Black: the night that ends at last!

The word discrimination thrown around does wonders
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

My econ teacher gave me a D. This was in 2007. He also ran his chubby mouth about too big to fail. I was given a D by an adherent to a failure.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Restore America Now View Post
    Your son is a perfect candidate for homeschooling.
    I have to strongly disagree.

Somebody making grades that high in those advanced classes needs to keep at it. He can get into any college he wants if he keeps it up and it will be paid for.

Eric Cartman has prepared the appropriate response.

“The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    I have to strongly disagree.

Somebody making grades that high in those advanced classes needs to keep at it. He can get into any college he wants if he keeps it up and it will be paid for.
    I wouldn't go to college if it was paid for, but then again, I'm smarter than your average FEMA Youth.
    I'm starting to think that the Mayans were right about 2012. Ron Paul will change the world.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor8000 View Post
    I wouldn't go to college if it was paid for, but then again, I'm smarter than your average FEMA Youth.
    Unless time is a big concern, I'd go the route that brings big bucks. Which is college.

High school diplomas don't cut it anymore, neither do associates degrees really.

For those that can't go for free, you can basically get your core class credits for free(after tax credits and stuff) at a community college which I highly recommend for people. Saves a ton of money. Also, kids can take "AP" classes in high school, where you can take a test and get college credit for about 80 dollars.

Don't get more student loan debt than you need. The "college experience" isn't worth the money, and you can have your experience but just for not as long.

Education is not about grades. Grades are supposed to be a measurement of learning, but that is no longer the case.

If your son learns all of the material, don't sweat the grades.

On a side note, I had a girlfriend in high school that made the honor role every year and finished with one of the highest grade point averages in a large graduating class. She didn't know how many halves were in a basketball game. When I laughed and told her that if there are halves, there will be two; she got all mad and told me she didn't watch basketball! We had the same fun with how many liters are in a 2-liter bottle because she couldn't remember the metric system.

I'd suggest teaching your son that grades are not as important as learning. Be proud of his learning - not the arbitrary measurements of some government-union-babysitter.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    My son is the number 2 sophomore at his high school. His GPA is .01 less than the #1 kid who happens to be one of his best friends. The Problem is my son has had a teacher for 2 years who grades in a questionable manner. When my son was a freshman this particular teacher told me and my wife that in 20 years he has only given higher than a 90 on class participation twice and in both cases it was to girls that did extra credit projects. That class was tools and materials. Unknowingly my son signed up for CAD with the same teacher this year. The grading policy of this particular teacher drags my sons GPA down. My son is in all advanced classes. He has 103 in Pre-Cal, 99 in Biology….. This kid is very smart and has an amazing attitude! Well don’t you know I complained earlier this year. Now the teacher gives 95 for class participation because "the class is so smart". This is after talking to the administration. Recently my son overheard this teacher tell a female student that he will give her a 97 for class participation if she gets pencils out of the cupboard and puts them back at the end of class.
    Dude, that girl is obviously sucking off the teacher.

Seriously though: "He has 103 in Pre-Cal"

How can people get better than perfect scores these days? If a kid can get better than a 100, he should be skipped a grade, not given a 105. When I have kids, a 135 will be considered a $#@!ty grade. The Fed must have started QE4 on grades.

Quote Originally Posted by loveableteddybear View Post

How can people get better than perfect scores these days? If a kid can get better than a 100, he should be skipped a grade, not given a 105. When I have kids, a 135 will be considered a $#@!ty grade. The Fed must have started QE4 on grades.
    Extra credit.
    I had above 100% in my English and Chemistry classes. Easy enough if the work isn't difficult and you're graded on the work you complete, and not what information you actually retain.

Let it be a real world lesson to him that will apply in college and employment. In some majors, like Engineering, most of the turds sink to the bottom and are flushed out by the third year. However some, somehow even though so full of $#@!, continue to float and make it through. This is how.
    Last edited by madengr; 01-21-2013 at 12:06 PM.

There are several issues I could raise here, none of which would stand much chance of being addressed. But what the hell - firstly, this is a great example of why no rational parent puts there children into such schools. I mean no disrespect to you and I do realize how difficult the situation can be, but I would not let my children anywhere near such places. YMMV.

I would be on this issue like stink on rice. When I was a teacher, the noisiest, most obnoxious parents were the ones who got results. This is your child's future in some respects that is in the hands of some douche. Hello? Yes? I would take the roof off that school at this point. If that did not work, I would find the most satanic lawyer on the planet and ream everyone involved until they prayed for death to take them. This is an issue on which I am intransigent and unequivocal. Mess with my children and you will pay a price for which you have no coin. Just my personal position on such matters.

On a more philosophical note, who gives a $#@! about grades? Buying into that bull$#@! is a loser any way you slice the pie. Again, my miserable opinion only.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

There are several issues I could raise here, none of which would stand much chance of being addressed. But what the hell - firstly, this is a great example of why no rational parent puts there children into such schools. I mean no disrespect to you and I do realize how difficult the situation can be, but I would not let my children anywhere near such places. YMMV.

I would be on this issue like stink on rice. When I was a teacher, the noisiest, most obnoxious parents were the ones who got results. This is your child's future in some respects that is in the hands of some douche. Hello? Yes? I would take the roof off that school at this point. If that did not work, I would find the most satanic lawyer on the planet and ream everyone involved until they prayed for death to take them. This is an issue on which I am intransigent and unequivocal. Mess with my children and you will pay a price for which you have no coin. Just my personal position on such matters.

On a more philosophical note, who gives a $#@! about grades? Buying into that bull$#@! is a loser any way you slice the pie. Again, my miserable opinion only.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

It's all about the teachers and even professors. Everyone who has been in college knows that you take 'the professor'—not the course. Likewise, these high school students are getting crappy teachers. I am surprised that they give teachers any leeway now though. The way public education has been going, teachers don't even teach... they are called 'classroom educators' now.

Another option is to opt out of high school and get a GED. Yes, a high school diploma is better, but if you are planning on getting a college or junior college degree anyways, it doesn't matter since you omit the high school diploma on the resume if a higher education degree has been attained.

There are crappy teachers out there... but equally, there are also a lot of crappy professors.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Delete
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-21-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    It's all about the teachers and even professors. Everyone who has been in college knows that you take 'the professor'—not the course. Likewise, these high school students are getting crappy teachers. I am surprised that they give teachers any leeway now though. The way public education has been going, teachers don't even teach... they are called 'classroom educators' now.

Another option is to opt out of high school and get a GED. Yes, a high school diploma is better, but if you are planning on getting a college or junior college degree anyways, it doesn't matter since you omit the high school diploma on the resume if a higher education degree has been attained.

There are crappy teachers out there... but equally, there are also a lot of crappy professors.
    I've encountered many job applications which asked whether I received a high school diploma or a GED, followed by the name of the high school. Obviously, it would look better to not have a GED.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Recently my son overheard this teacher tell a female student that he will give her a 97 for class participation if she gets pencils out of the cupboard and puts them back at the end of class.
    Whoa, that's a little TOO much information there buddy...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    I've encountered many job applications which asked whether I received a high school diploma or a GED, followed by the name of the high school. Obviously, it would look better to not have a GED.
    Hmm... all of the applications that I had only asked for high school or GED within the same line. I guess it depends... but it looks better yet when you have an associates or bachelors.

Unless time is a big concern, I'd go the route that brings big bucks. Which is college.

High school diplomas don't cut it anymore, neither do associates degrees really.
    College degrees don't cut it anymore either - more than half of recent college graduates can't find a job.

The math on college degrees at this point is economically negative - in a pretty big way - excepting only highly technical fields where you can't get any sort of equivalent training elsewhere. For the vast majority of college students that doesn't apply.

College debt default rates are going parabolic due to this situation, but those who can't pay can't discharge the debt - they are stuck with it, and its compounding interest, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    College degrees don't cut it anymore either - more than half of recent college graduates can't find a job.

The math on college degrees at this point is economically negative - in a pretty big way - excepting only highly technical fields where you can't get any sort of equivalent training elsewhere. For the vast majority of college students that doesn't apply.

College debt default rates are going parabolic due to this situation, but those who can't pay can't discharge the debt - they are stuck with it, and its compounding interest, forever.
    A college student will still make more and is more likely to get hired than a high school graduate.

Not everybody should go to college. Somebody making High A's in AP classes would be wasting a huge opportunity if they didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor8000 View Post
    I'm going to college because it's paid for...
    I just don't know what went wrong!

For those that can't go for free, you can basically get your core class credits for free(after tax credits and stuff) at a community college which I highly recommend for people. Saves a ton of money. Also, kids can take "AP" classes in high school, where you can take a test and get college credit for about 80 dollars.

Don't get more student loan debt than you need. The "college experience" isn't worth the money, and you can have your experience but just for not as long.
    I never graduated High School. I found it to be insulting that I should be forced to play a game and jump through hoops that are just there to help the school get more money. I left as soon as I turned 18. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. No employer has ever questioned my education. I currently make about $25k, but within a year I should have that doubled as I will be moving into Network Administration once I get my CCNA. Within 5 to 10 years I should be seeing around 6 figures. All of this without a stupid high school diploma and without any college.
    I'm starting to think that the Mayans were right about 2012. Ron Paul will change the world.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sending my son to public school, but man I'm going to have to deprogram him every day when he comes home from school. I really want to homeschool but I'm a single father.

Quote Originally Posted by loveableteddybear View Post

Grade inflation to make kids feel extra special.

Grading should always be on a curve. If you get 98% on a test but the class average is 97% there is no way that should count as an A.

Quote Originally Posted by american.swan View Post
    I'm sending my son to public school, but man I'm going to have to deprogram him every day when he comes home from school. I really want to homeschool but I'm a single father.
    You need a partner to make it work. Family will do in a pinch, but a spouse is ideal.

There are several schools, especially for engineering, where there are 5-year plans (even without a scholarship), where the students are apprenticed out and the money they "earn" pays for tuition. Then, after graduation, they have good references and portfolios from these real companies they worked at.
    If he's up to it, as someone mentioned, he can just go to college. A friend's daughter in 9th grade, wasn't allowed in the gifted program probably because her dress was too goth. She went and enrolled in a community college. Then she took each junior high text book back to the appropriate teacher and told them their services were no longer needed.
    Also, you could look for colleges that are heavily endowed, but not by the government. Then you know that the money/scholarship you get is paid by people who donated it. I know Harvard gets gov't grants and all, but as an example, one student went in and did an informational interview and told the guy she knew she could never afford to go there. He said, "You have to understand: we decide we want you and then we talk about what you can afford."
    Maybe he should just start looking.

"Just" is a Four Letter Word.

When someone says "Just" do this, or "Just" do that, consideration of that persons situations are usually not considered. My friends expect me to "Just" get married and settle down. Okay, to who? They say it like it is such an easy thing to accomplish. "Just" go to college. Why dont we say "Just" encure the financially equivilant burden of buying a house that provides absolutely no meaningful guarantee that the cost of that education will be afforded by a job that is not there. "Just" also has another underying implication, and that is to abide by the expectations of others.

When I hear the word "Just" any more, it is becoming increasingly offensive.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.