Thread: Man brings rifle and pistol into JC Penney

Man brings rifle and pistol into JC Penney

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/18/photos-ut...-into-jcpenny/

RIVERDALE, Utah – Facebook photos of a man armed with a rifle shopping at a Riverdale JCPenney have gone viral.

According to KTSU, Cindy Yorgason took the photos on Wednesday and posted them on her Facebook profile. They show a man in line at the store with a rifle slung across his back.

Weber Area Dispatch said a 22-year-old man names Joseph Kelley called them on Wednesday to let them know he was planning to carry his weapons in public. He told police he brought the assault rifle to the store to demonstrate that they are not dangerous in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

While openly carrying weapons is legal in Utah, many businesses have their own policies against it.

Store officials are now saying they’re looking into the incident. They haven’t released their official policy regarding guns in the store.

was carrying an unloaded rifle and a glock with extra magazines.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference -
    they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

"Whatever my individual desires were to be free, I was not alone.
    There were many others who felt the same way."

-- Rosa Parks
    Last edited by presence; 01-20-2013 at 06:42 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Seems needlessly provocative at this moment, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    ...but that's just my opinion.
    Correct.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I am currently looking into the laws in Minnesota to see if I'm lawfully able to do the same.

- ML

Provocative, but... Nothing happened. This is something that needs to be encouraged. Repeatedly. Until it is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Correct.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    I am currently looking into the laws in Minnesota to see if I'm lawfully able to do the same.

- ML
    You need a permit to carry a pistol. Open or concealed.

Looks like open carry of long guns are prohibited.

http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/
    Last edited by Danke; 01-18-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSWPaulsen View Post
    Provocative, but... Nothing happened. This is something that needs to be encouraged. Repeatedly. Until it is the norm.
    Yeah, maybe you are right... maybe what we really need is a mass movement of publicly armed individuals...

It is legal, he even called ahead, yet police are looking into the 'incident'?

Where's the story?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I appreciate people open carrying; however, this gentleman needed to set his sling so that the weapon was pointed down or straight up. The way he was carrying it was muzzle sweeping everyone else.

Safety first!
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

I think a concealed weapon is more useful and valuable than a weapon carried out in the open. Why alert would be bad guys that you have a weapon to stop them, they will shoot you first and take your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    I think a concealed weapon is more useful and valuable than a weapon carried out in the open. Why alert would be bad guys that you have a weapon to stop them, they will shoot you first and take your gun.
    Might be a little difficult with a long gun.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Delete: duplicate post
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    That's one thought, but consider this... it invites more people to do the same. A psycho may be able to take one guy... but not 5, 10, or more Open carrying is a force deterrent... just like a armed guard. Thugs still move on guards, but it doesn't happen that often. Even criminals don't like getting shot. They will move onto a soft target in most cases.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    I appreciate people open carrying; however, this gentleman needed to set his sling so that the weapon was pointed down or straight up. The way he was carrying it was muzzle sweeping everyone else.

Safety first!
    I agree. I think the hand gun is one thing and the other is cumbersome in that setting, but I agree from living in California the people, not seeing them, are much more terrified than those who go to gun ranges or see them around.

I'm sure he was trying to breed familiarity.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-18-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Might be a little difficult with a long gun.
    That's true... a long gun is going to make a thug with a pistol have a very bad day. The rifle has more power and is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Seems needlessly provocative at this moment, but that's just my opinion.
    That was my opinion as well.

You need a permit to carry a pistol. Open or concealed.

Looks like open carry of long guns are prohibited.

http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/
    Minnesota sucks.

- ML

Out of what 300+ million people did today,how is this news?More people need to do this,I have stood in line behind armed cops in convenience stores countless times and never thought twice about it.What if he went off the rails and started shooting everybody? Do people here just consider cops more stable than civilians as a group?If someone says this is needlessly provocative,that tells me that millions of civilians need to be doing it until it is commonplace and nothing to remark upon.

The fact that this is news in Utah,let alone thousands of miles away,is a sad commentary on our current state of affairs.

Photo of JC Penney shopper with rifle strapped to back, strikes a nerve

"IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Skinheads ruling the world.

seriously.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Utah gives me hope for the 2nd Amendment.

The whole Mitt Romney thing was quite disappointing (although he was more closely related to Massachusettism than Mormanism), but in general, Utah seems to know what it's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    I have stood in line behind armed cops in convenience stores
    Statistically more likely to shoot a civilian than another civilian...

"The-Newz" could focus on that fact if they chose to..........

Anyone else going to a Gun Appreciation Day rally today?

I think I'll run down to the state capitol and join in...
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

This should not have been news. It should have been common occurance and unworthy of notice.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.