Thread: Get ready for the Yahoo! hate...

Get ready for the Yahoo! hate...

oh dear, just saw this pop up on Yahoo!

Rand Paul: Teachers should be armed

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...-election.html

nearly 2,000 comments in an hour... not sure if I can stomach looking through the hate and bile.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya I dunno if teachers "should be" armed, but they certainly should be able to if they choose.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Idiotic statement by Paul. Most teachers should not be armed simply because they don't have the temperment or training. I would not send my kid to a school with armed teachers. A couple armed security guards in a school makes sense, arming teachers does not.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Idiotic statement by Paul. Most teachers should not be armed simply because they don't have the temperment or training. I would not send my kid to a school with armed teachers. A couple armed security guards in a school makes sense, arming teachers does not.
    If you don't trust the teachers at your school with guns, why do you trust them with your child's education?

They are already charged with protecting your child in case of an emergency, whether armed or not.
    Last edited by VoluntaryAmerican; 01-18-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

read this earlier this morning in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    Can't watch the video, but from the article it looks like they twisted his words. He didn't say "let's arm teachers" as if he wants them all issued guns. He said that the Gun-Free Zone legislation should be repealed so that teachers can CHOOSE to carry a gun if they want. Big difference.

"Let's arm teachers" is a great headline to send the anti-gunners into a blind rage though.
    sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post

nearly 2,000 comments in an hour... not sure if I can stomach looking through the hate and bile.
    I just looked through the comments; they're not all bad. The ones who will be most vocally against this are the anti-gun libtards who would never vote for a Republican or Libertarian anyway.

They also took Rand's statement out of context. I don't think he's saying that all teachers should be forced to carry concealed weapons, just that they should be afforded the option.

3,500 comments in 3 hours!

Did they put it on the front page or something?

Rand sure knows how to send them crazy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    If you don't trust the teachers at your school with guns, why do you trust them with your child's education?

They are already charged with protecting your child in case of an emergency, whether armed or not.
    Absolutely. They need to get rid of these gun free zones. How can anyone send their child off to school where they are completely defenseless. Right now, the only hope is that they are in a classroom the shooter does not target. If they are in the hall they are as good as dead. It is now standard procedure for teachers to shut and lock classroom doors immediately and to not let anyone in under any circumstances to MINIMIZE casualties. If a teacher is armed, qualified, and willing to stop a massacre, they should be afforded that opportunity.

Get rid of the disarmament zones and ALLOW teachers to attend training and get certified to carry a concealed weapon in school just as anywhere else In conceal carry states.
    Last edited by pacodever; 01-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacodever View Post
    Absolutely. They need to get rid of these gun free zones. How can anyone send their child off to school where they are completely defenseless. Right now, the only hope is that they are in a classroom the shooter does not target. If they are in the hall they are as good as dead. It is now standard procedure to shut and lock classroom doors immediately and to not let anyone in under any circumstances.

Get rid of the disarmament zones and ALLOW teachers to attend training and get certified to carry a concealed weapon in school just as anywhere else In conceal carry states.
    You're right, I didn't feel safe in my high school and I know millions of kids in high school currently don't feel safe. My high school had no armed guards or teachers and we were told to lock down and sit in the classroom as you said. I always told myself in one of these situations I would jump out the window or run for it, no way would I sit and wait in a classroom.

At my state college we have many armed campus cops, so it's safer. However, then you have police state concerns and harassment that goes along with a high density of police in one area.

The best move for liberty and safety is just remove the gun free zones and allow people to defend themselves.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

abolishing "gun free zones" makes more sense

Notice that the article never provides a quote of what Rand actually said.

Anyone who has a concealed carry permit has been trained and should have the right to carry a concealed weapon anywhere they want to, including public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Of course not.

typical media twist to whatever he actually said.
    Ron Paul 2012: Liberty, Peace and Prosperity for America !

Ron Paul: Predictions of 24 April 2002 - see how many came true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

Vote On Principles, Defend Our Constitution, Follow the Path shown by the Founders !

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post

Yeah he messed up saying "should be armed" when he should have said "be allowed to be armed."

No one should be forced to buy or carry anything they don't want to. It is a minor point, but Rand is going to have to be careful what he says from now on because the media will use quotes like this to bury him if he runs for president in 2016.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Come on Brandon, you've been here since '07, should know by now to take anything the media says with a grain of salt. Rand was speaking out against the "Gun Free Zone" idiocy. He did not advocate arming teachers. Here's what he said:

"If my kids were at that school, I would have preferred that the teacher had concealed-carry and had a gun in her desk. Is it perfect? No. Would they always get the killer? No. Would an accident sometimes happen in a melee? Maybe. But nobody (at the Connecticut school) had any defense, and he just kept shooting until he was tired and he decided to shoot himself."

video of the statement, still with the misleading title: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...chers/1843003/

Media - ZOMG Rand Paul says ARM all teachers with ASSAULT WEAPONS!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!!

If not wanting to stop someone from having a weapon constitutes arming them, then I am currently responsible for arming all of you because I do not write laws and show up at your door to take your guns.

By this logic, anyone who doesn't support gun confiscation and "gun free zones" is some kind of arms dealer who wants to "arm" everyone.
    Last edited by Expatriate; 01-21-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Yeah he messed up saying "should be armed" when he should have said "be allowed to be armed."

No one should be forced to buy or carry anything they don't want to. It is a minor point, but Rand is going to have to be careful what he says from now on because the media will use quotes like this to bury him if he runs for president in 2016.
    He didn't say "should be armed". The media said that and then acted outraged at their own statement. How odd, eh?

Watch the video in my last post, it has everything he said in it. Note that even though the title is Sen. Rand Paul: Let's arm teachers, he never says those words. That's why they did not put quotation marks around it.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

double post
    Last edited by Expatriate; 01-21-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0611 View Post
    Of course not.
    This place looks awful familiar.

At least he is pissing off Democrats really bad. The great thing about Rand is that these "blunders" are just going to ingratiate him more and more with standard partisan hacks in the GOP. Liberty infiltrates the GOP establishment with Rand Paul at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    At least he is pissing off Democrats really bad. The great thing about Rand is that these "blunders" are just going to ingratiate him more and more with standard partisan hacks in the GOP. Liberty infiltrates the GOP establishment with Rand Paul at the helm.
    That's the thing, he didn't make a blunder. Media channels are just saying he said something he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I dunno if teachers "should be" armed, but they certainly should be able to if they choose.
    Bingo!! I don't think we should force teachers to be armed. But if they choose to do so then they should be able to do it.

He never said "arm teachers".

USAtoday video of the statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Paul
    "If my kids were at that school, I would have preferred that the teacher had concealed-carry and had a gun in her desk. Or the principal. Is it perfect? No. Would they always get the killer? No. Would an accident sometimes happen in a melee? Maybe. But nobody (at the Connecticut school) had any defense, and he just kept shooting until he was tired and he decided to shoot himself."
    Does that sound like "Arm all teachers?"

This roughly the same as if Barney Frank said he wanted gay marriage legalized, and then the news said "Frank: Everyone should be forced to get a gay marriage."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yet another double post
    Last edited by Expatriate; 01-22-2013 at 04:17 AM.