Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keynesians vs. Austrians on The Simpsons

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks, Comp. Didn't think you could embed vimeo here

+rep compromise for saving me having to click on an EPJ link.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    +rep compromise for saving me having to click on an EPJ link.
    Yeah $#@! that site. They don't blindly love everything Rand does.

We're hitting the big time! Soon "Austrian School" will be a household word. As it is now, when I talk to guys majoring in economics, they have never heard of the Austrian School. Just last week, I was talking to a guy.

"So what are you studying?"
    "Economics"
    "Oh, wow! What kind of economics are you most interested in?"
    "International Economics, probably mostly because I like that teacher."
    "Cool. So, my hobby is economics. Have you ever heard of Austrian Economics? You could also call it Causal Realist."
    "No."
    "Mises?"
    "Uhh..."
    "Ludwig von Mises"
    "No."
    "Murray Rothbard? Hayek?"
    "No."
    "Oh, well, you've heard of Richardo, right? The English Classical School?"
    "Yeah, Richardo, sure."
    "Well, it's kind of like that, but they took the ideas further. Free market."
    "OK."
    "Check it out. Austrian Economics. It's awesome. The only economics that's right!"

So we have a long way to go. Any publicity is good.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I saw it last night - if that was supposed to be a joke, I don't get it.
    Me too, hiding by the side of the rocks and climbing trees? that one just flew over my head

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the OP link comments mentioned trees make paper, print money... While hiding under rocks could mean gold, silver, something tangible.

Or it could be the Keynsians are stuck up a tree with no way down while the Austrians are hiding under rocks means they are not being heard by many people. Kind of like that saying "Where have you been hiding under a rock?" means no one has heard from them for awhile.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

nevermind
    Last edited by hauntedbaby; 01-14-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: mistake

Also it could also be that Keynesians are more pro-active about trying to fix the economy even though their solutions are only temporary whereas Austrians see an economic crisis and rather than trying to proactively solve it they hide under rocks and try to protect their wealth.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Or it could just be an attempt at a comedic non sequitur with no particular meaning or significance at all ... /Occam's Razor
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Seems like an attack. Hiding under a rock is a metaphor for someone who a recluse and is shut off from the world. At least its mentioned which would of never happened before Ron Paul. Perhaps matt is sending an ambiguous message like hes known to do until he reveals what he means 20 years from now.
    Last edited by AGRP; 01-14-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Also it could also be that Keynesians are more pro-active about trying to fix the economy even though their solutions are only temporary whereas Austrians see an economic crisis and rather than trying to proactively solve it they hide under rocks and try to protect their wealth.
    It struck me as this. Not protect "wealth" but wait out the doomsday panic.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Also, it wasn't so much Keynesians vs. Austrians as it was Keynesians-and-Austrians vs. the hounds. And the hounds were clearly the winners ...

What are we to make of that?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Also, it wasn't so much Keynesians vs. Austrians as it was Keynesians-and-Austrians vs. the hounds. And the hounds were clearly the winners ...

I dunno, but if I was being chased by hounds I know I'd rather try to climb a tree than hide under a rock

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I dunno, but if I was being chased by hounds I know I'd rather try to climb a tree than hide under a rock
    *Shakes head*

I don't know how you can call yourself a Ron Paul supporter...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Thank you. This reminds me of the South Park episode involving the Republican debates and a lot of people here over-analyzed the episode, thinking that Ron Paul was replaced by a cat arguing for a return to the Constitution.

It seems like an endorsement of Austrian in a round about way at face value. Hiding under a rock is viewed as a societal negative, but look who they are hiding from: The evil burns and his hounds. Burns is probably Bernanke (or a Rockefeller). The hounds are probably the IRS. The scared captive people running up the trees are the member banks/ters (or heads of the Federal Reserve banks or Bernanke). In this case the peaceful solution would be to not take part in the process at all signified by hiding under a rock.
    Last edited by AGRP; 01-14-2013 at 03:59 PM.

AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

The original writers for the Simpsons left, what, a decade ago. I didn't think Matt had anything to do with the show.

There is a libertarian supposedly on the staff of the Simpsons. It was in Lew.

From the comments to the OP link....

" Tom Finnigan recently published an article about the libertarian writer on the simpsons at lew rockwell"

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    It seems like an endorsement of Austrian in a round about way at face value. Hiding under a rock is viewed as a societal negative, but look who they are hiding from: The evil burns and his hounds. Burns is probably Bernanke (or a Rockefeller). The hounds are probably the IRS. The scared captive people running up the trees are the member banks/ters (or heads of the Federal Reserve banks or Bernanke). In this case the peaceful solution would be to not take part in the process at all signified by hiding under a rock.
    Why would a very liberal-leaning cartoon be promoting Austrian economics and criticizing the IRS and the Federal Reserve? I think you're analyzing this a little too deeply.

Even if there is 1 libertarian (although he hasn't written an episode in a decade), I doubt he'd be making complex parables.
    Last edited by compromise; 01-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Why would a very liberal-leaning cartoon be promoting Austrian economics and criticizing the IRS and the Federal Reserve? I think you're analyzing this a little too deeply.

Even if there is 1 libertarian (although he hasn't written an episode in a decade), I doubt he'd be making complex parables.
    Do I know? Does anyone know? No. No one knows until the writers tell us. This is all fun and games.

***Honorable Mentions***
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    We're hitting the big time! Soon "Austrian School" will be a household word. As it is now, when I talk to guys majoring in economics, they have never heard of the Austrian School. Just last week, I was talking to a guy.

"So what are you studying?"
    "Economics"
    "Oh, wow! What kind of economics are you most interested in?"
    "International Economics, probably mostly because I like that teacher."
    "Cool. So, my hobby is economics. Have you ever heard of Austrian Economics? You could also call it Causal Realist."
    "No."
    "Mises?"
    "Uhh..."
    "Ludwig von Mises"
    "No."
    "Murray Rothbard? Hayek?"
    "No."
    "Oh, well, you've heard of Richardo, right? The English Classical School?"
    "Yeah, Richardo, sure."
    "Well, it's kind of like that, but they took the ideas further. Free market."
    "OK."
    "Check it out. Austrian Economics. It's awesome. The only economics that's right!"

So we have a long way to go. Any publicity is good.
    Ive had similar experiences. Friends and people Ive met who study economics are completely oblivious to Austrian Economics. Its like theyre all indoctrinated Keynesians.

I will comment on the part I think everyone left out which is artificially picking interest rates by what Burns calls a "free market" strategy. At least at this level I think they point at the absurdity of not letting the market determine rates which results in the eventual slaughter of the economy

Anyone see the movie "Loopers" yet? I don't think this counts as a spoiler, so i'm posting it. They use gold and silver as money.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

The Simpsons missed a third group, the police, who would've likely just killed all the hounds.
    Rand Paul 2016

Im going to be lending my cousin books on Austrian econ. She is an econ major and has been inculcated with Keynesian ideals. Im thinking of going with human action first, and if well received going to Man econ state, provided I am done with it at that point.
    Best of luck in life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast