Thread: Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett

This author is pretty darn amazing, especially on the topics of government, power and money.

For people on this board I would recommend starting with the Disc World novels 'Going Postal' and 'Making Money'. These are battles over central banks, monopolies and currencies in a fantasy setting.

On the civics bent, Night Watch and Monstrous Regiment delve into police work in brutal ways.

Quotes:

Two types of people laugh at the law: those that break it and those that make it.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

“There were plotters, there was no doubt about it. Some had been ordinary people who'd had enough. Some were young people with no money who objected to the fact that the world was run by old people who were rich. Some were in it to get girls. And some had been idiots as mad as Swing, with a view of the world just as rigid and unreal, who were on the side of what they called 'the people'. Vimes had spent his life on the streets, and had met decent men and fools and people who'd steal a penny from a blind beggar and people who performed silent miracles or desperate crimes every day behind the grubby windows of little houses, but he'd never met The People.
    People on the side of The People always ended up dissapointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.
    As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up. What would run through the streets soon enough wouldn't be a revolution or a riot. It'd be people who were frightened and panicking. It was what happened when the machinery of city life faltered, the wheels stopped turning and all the little rules broke down. And when that happened, humans were worse than sheep. Sheep just ran; they didn't try to bite the sheep next to them.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

“A weapon you held and didn't know how to use belonged to your enemy.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Making Money

“Whole new theories of money were growing here like mushrooms: in the dark and based on bull$#@!.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Making Money

“Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

“Steal five dollars and you're a common thief. Steal thousands and you're either the government or a hero.”

“There is always a choice."
    "You mean I could choose certain death?"
    "A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

“Do you understand what I'm saying?"
    shouted Moist. "You can't just go around killing people!"
    "Why Not? You Do." The golem lowered his arm.
    "What?" snapped Moist. "I do not! Who told you that?"
    "I Worked It Out. You Have Killed Two Point Three Three Eight People," said the golem calmly.
    "I have never laid a finger on anyone in my life, Mr Pump. I may be–– all the things you know I am, but I am not a killer! I have never so much as drawn a sword!"
    "No, You Have Not. But You Have Stolen, Embezzled, Defrauded And Swindled Without Discrimination, Mr Lipvig. You Have Ruined Businesses And Destroyed Jobs. When Banks Fail, It Is Seldom Bankers Who Starve. Your Actions Have Taken Money From Those Who Had Little Enough To Begin With. In A Myriad Small Ways You Have Hastened The Deaths Of Many. You Do Not Know Them. You Did Not See Them Bleed. But You Snatched Bread From Their Mouths And Tore Clothes From Their Backs. For Sport, Mr Lipvig. For Sport. For The Joy Of The Game.”

“But, in truth, it had not exactly been gold, or even the promise of gold, but more like the fantasy of gold, the fairy dream that the gold is there, at the end of the rainbow, and will continue to be there forever - provided, naturally, that you don't go and look. This is known as finance.”

“How can you protect yourself by carrying a sword if you don’t know how to use it?’
    Not me, sir. Other people. They see the sword and don’t attack me,’ said Maladict patiently.
    Yes, but if they did, lad, you wouldn’t be any good with it,’ said the sergeant.
    No, sir. I’d probably settle for just ripping their heads off, sir. That’s what I mean by protection, sir. Theirs, not mine. And I’d get hell from the League if I did that, sir.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

“You take a bunch of people who don't seem any different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national borders and an anthem.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

“It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

“It is a long-cherished tradition among a certain type of military thinker that huge casualties are the main thing. If they are on the other side then this is a valuable bonus.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

“It was much better to imagine men in some smokey room somewhere, made mad and cynical by privilege and power, plotting over brandy. You had to cling to this sort of image, because if you didn't then you might have to face the fact that bad things happened because ordinary people, the kind who brushed the dog and told the children bed time stories, were capable of then going out and doing horrible things to other ordinary people. It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

“Taxation, gentlemen, is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum amount of moo.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Jingo
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol. I'll have to check it out. I was looking for some "light" reading and read just read the four children's novels he wrote about a young witch. Pretty prolific writer it seems.

Butler Schaffer quotes Pratchett regularly. Sounds like an interesting writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

My friend made me read a pratchett book a few years ago. Can't remember the title but it was about religion and I thought it was a pretty well written and thoughtful book.
    "Look, the American people have chosen to have a fiat money standard because they want a welfare state. You cannot have a gold standard and a welfare state at the same time. You have to make the choice. We have made a decision as a society that we’ll be dealing with the welfare state." -Alan Greenspan

actually i just picked up a book which is a graphic novel of the first 2 discworld books.

Quote Originally Posted by dbill27 View Post
    My friend made me read a pratchett book a few years ago. Can't remember the title but it was about religion and I thought it was a pretty well written and thoughtful book.
    Small Gods? I recommend that to everyone :-)
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

I have 10 or so hard cover Terry Pratchett books i found in a house i was working on last year. I've read a couple of of them, the "Night Watch" being one of them. They are great stories and there is always a good laugh or two mixed in with the over all message.

Its also nice seeing some of the characters from different books show up in others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.