Thread: Tires Slashed, Guns Pulled On Self-Driving Cars As Arizona Residents Revolt

Tires Slashed, Guns Pulled On Self-Driving Cars As Arizona Residents Revolt

More than 20 driverless vehicles in Arizona have reportedly been vandalized over the last two years, according to the New York Times, as enraged locals in the Waymo test market of Chandler have begun to revolt.

Tensions began to flare last year after an Arizona pedestrian was killed by a self-drivng Uber car, with residents slashing tires, throwing rocks at, pulling guns on, and trying to wreck the autonomous cars.

Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road. One woman screamed at one of the vans, telling it to get out of her suburban neighborhood. A man pulled up alongside a Waymo vehicle and threatened the employee riding inside with a piece of PVC pipe.
    In one of the more harrowing episodes, a man waved a .22-caliber revolver at a Waymo vehicle and the emergency backup driver at the wheel. He told the police that he “despises” driverless cars, referring to the killing of a female pedestrian in March in nearby Tempe by a self-driving Uber car. -NYT
    There are other places they can test,” said 37-year-old Erik O’Polka, who was issued a warning in november after multiple reports that his Jeep Wrangler had tried to run Waymo vans off the road. In one instance, O'Pokla reportedly drove head-on toward one of the self-driving vehicles, forcing it to abruptly stop.

O'Polka's wife Elizabeth, 35, admitted in an interfview that Erik "finds it entertaining to brake hard" in front of the driverless vehicles, and that she herself "may have forced them to pull over" for a good yelling-at. The couple says their hatred of self-driving cars began when their 10-year-old son was almost hit by a self-driving vehicle while playing in a nearby cul-de-sac.

"They said they need real-world examples, but I don’t want to be their real-world mistake," said Polka. "They didn’t ask us if we wanted to be part of their beta test," added his wife.

Some of the attacks have been difficult for law enforcement to pursue, as Waymo emergency drivers told the Chandler police that the company prefers not to pursue the prosecution of the assailants. In several cases, the police say Waymo was unwilling to provide video of the attacks - and were told that they would need a warrant in at least one case.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...sidents-revolt
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Couldnt have happened to a nicer bunch of human replacing dependency creating in your face soulless machines.

---

And theres this...

Last edited by DamianTV; 01-02-2019 at 05:31 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I don't understand all the hate on here for driverless vehicles. Is this site populated by an unusually high amount of truck and uber drivers? They are the only ones who won't be helped by this technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    I don't understand all the hate on here for driverless vehicles.
    Driverless vehicles will add yet another massive layer of surveillance and government control.

Hope somebody chucks a molotov into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Driverless vehicles will add yet another massive layer of surveillance and government control.

Hope somebody chucks a molotov into them.
    Smart phones track anything these vehicles would track. Nothing will be different in that department. Is that really your only reason. Such stupidity.

Do you know how much cheaper shipping and manufacturing will be? That will positively effect the entire country. As for the people whose jobs get replaced with automation, they will now be contributing to the economy in other areas. It's a net increase in productivity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Smart phones track anything these vehicles would track. Nothing will be different in that department. Is that really your only reason. Such stupidity.

Do you know how much cheaper shipping and manufacturing will be? That will positively effect the entire country. As for the people whose jobs get replaced with automation, they will now be contributing to the economy in other areas. It's a net increase in productivity.
    Dumb phones can't control where you are allowed to go, they can't lock you in and ship you to rendition site #666.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Dumb phones can't control where you are allowed to go, they can't lock you in and ship you to rendition site #666.
    Lol. You think there won't be manual overrides? Manual overrides will be mandatory.

I'm with you. Some fear technology for how it can be misused. But that seems (to me) like fearing a gun because a killer may get control of it. (BTW, the biggest killer of all has lots and lots of those!)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Lol. You think there won't be manual overrides? Manual overrides will be mandatory.
    No they won't, they are building some without them right now.
    They may even prohibit them and they may not work.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm with you. Some fear technology for how it can be misused. But that seems (to me) like fearing a gun because a killer may get control of it. (BTW, the biggest killer of all has lots and lots of those!)
    But he doesn't have control of my gun or my car, he wants it though.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But he doesn't have control of my gun or my car, he wants it though.
    I get it. You are guided by your fears. (It shows on every issue) And new technology is always scary.

But I'm not askeered. I'm more concerned about the laws they make to govern this technology than I am about the technology itself.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I get it. You are guided by your fears. (It shows on every issue) And new technology is always scary.

But I'm not askeered. I'm more concerned about the laws they make to govern this technology than I am about the technology itself.
    Another Dodo bird.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm in no particular hurry for this technology.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I predict one day we'll all be riding horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

How dare anyone do anything that I don't want them to do! I'll destroy their property to teach them the error of their ways!
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Utter technocratic horse$#@!.

Why do you think I do not carry a "smart" phone around with me?

Embrace your chains if you want, slave, but keep them off me.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-02-2019 at 07:51 PM.