Thread: Drama in RNC election as Ron Paul supporter makes run for chairman

Drama in RNC election as Ron Paul supporter makes run for chairman

Some last minute drama has been injected into the race for chairman of the Republican National Committee as a national committeeman from the Ron Paul wing of the party is mounting a last minute effort to challenge Reince Priebus for chairman.

But as he tries to get support for his bid, Mark Willis of Maine is facing questions from other Republicans on the committee about whether he broke party rules and supported Paul as a write-in for president over GOP nominee Mitt Romney in the 2012 general election, The Daily Caller has learned.

The reason for these questions: Willis was actually listed on the 2012 general election ballot in Maine as a declared write-in running mate to Paul, the Texas libertarian.

Had he voted for himself and Paul over Romney, Willis could be removed from the committee, according to party rules. Republican Party rule 4(b) says, “The Republican National Committee shall have the power to declare vacant the seat of any member who refuses to support the Republican nominee for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States.”

But in an interview with The Daily Caller on Thursday, Willis strongly disputed that he supported Paul in the general election and said he had nothing to do with being listed as a write-in candidate on the ballot. He said he supported Romney.

“I had nothing to do with it,” Willis said by phone of his addition to the ballot. “I had no knowledge of it. No consent. I found out about it after the fact. After it had been done.”

Critics on the committee, however, remain skeptical, pointing out that Willis did not try to have his name removed. He also didn’t publicly denounce his addition to the ballot.

“When it was brought to my attention, I had to make a judgment call as to what is the right thing to do for the state of Maine,” Willis explained to TheDC. “And I made the judgment call to just not do anything, keep it quiet, don’t talk about it, don’t draw attention to it.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/17/dr...#ixzz2IG0s7p5v
    Write to your National CommitteeMen and Women to support Mark Willis!!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure he is a good man and all but... It is pretty strange for a person wanting to spend 70 hours a week working for a party as it's leader when he just ran against the party.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I'm sure he is a good man and all but... It is pretty strange for a person wanting to spend 70 hours a week working for a party as it's leader when he just ran against the party.
    So, you don't believe him when he says he had nothing to do with it?

I'm sure that is why they are making a big deal of it to make it seem so, but I'm sure he had no more to do with being on that ballot than Napolitano had of being Ron's VP in CA (I had tried to make it Clyde but another group got their 55 electors in first.)
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Have you read his platform?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Have you read his platform?
    Did he come out to try to get Rule 12 changed? I know he is pro grass roots. I think that might get a bunch of activists, evangelical, other conservative groups, in his camp. Return the federal structure of the RNC.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I'm sure that is why they are making a big deal of it to make it seem so, but I'm sure he had no more to do with being on that ballot than Napolitano had of being Ron's VP in CA (I had tried to make it Clyde but another group got their 55 electors in first.)
    Yeah, great point.

I'm not saying it's his fault. It's annoying that his friends did something, something they thought was good, yet it hurt him.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-17-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

So, does this guy stand a chance?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was finally able to find contact info for my national comm peeps and urged them to support Willis. And that's despite one of them already stating they're both supporting Reince for reelection tho they did specifically say that favor changing the rules back next week to favor the roots. I made sure to label those rules as part of the Romney schemers top-down approach.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzums View Post
    http://www.gop.com/members/

Find your committee person.
    thank you for posting that!