Thread: Egyptian court sentences Christian family to 15 years for converting from Islam

Egyptian court sentences Christian family to 15 years for converting from Islam

I know quite a few Christians from Egypt living here in the Bay Area. I have a feeling more and more of them will be coming here in the years to come. Egypt will make it more and more difficult for Christians to live there.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01...converting-to/

The 15-year prison sentence given to a woman and her seven children by an Egyptian court for converting to Christianity is a sign of things to come, according to alarmed human rights advocates who say the nation's Islamist government is bad news for Christians in the North African country.

A criminal court in the central Egyptian city of Beni Suef meted out the shocking sentence last week, according to the Arabic-language Egyptian paper Al-Masry Al-Youm. Nadia Mohamed Ali, who was raised a Christian, converted to Islam when she married Mohamed Abdel-Wahhab Mustafa, a Muslim, 23 years ago. He later died, and his widow planned to convert her family back to Christianity in order to obtain an inheritance from her family. She sought the help of others in the registration office to process new identity cards between 2004 and 2006. When the conversion came to light under the new regime, Nadia, her children and even the clerks who processed the identity cards were all sentenced to prison.

Samuel Tadros, a research fellow at Hudson Institute's Center for Religious Freedom, said conversions like Nadia's have been common in the past, but said Egypt's new Sharia-based constitution "is a real disaster in terms of religion freedom.”
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are about 15 million Christians in Egypt. Most of them are living in hell because of the islamist ruling. I have said this for years, the radical elements are doing everything they can to kill and harm non-muslims. Same situation goes on in Africa. Nigeria is a great example.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieDan View Post
    There are about 15 million Christians in Egypt. Most of them are living in hell because of the islamist ruling.
    Not our business. We need to pay attention to getting our own house in order. When we do, we will be able to offer something worthy of emulating.

I have said this for years, the radical elements are doing everything they can to kill and harm non-muslims.
    What do you call those who are killing innocent men, women and children with drones?

Same situation goes on in Africa. Nigeria is a great example.
    More none of our business. If you are so worried about it, get your ass over there.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Not our business. We need to pay attention to getting our own house in order. When we do, we will be able to offer something worthy of emulating.

What do you call those who are killing innocent men, women and children with drones?

More none of our business. If you are so worried about it, get your ass over there.
    Oh, really? Did I say intervention was necessary? The thread wasn't about it. You should get your ass out off this discussion unless you have something important to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Is it possible to talk about a situation without pushing intervention? It's a $#@!ed up situation and very sad. That is all.

Two posts down we have a thread about same sex marriage in France. Are we pushing intervention there.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-LGBT-adoption
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Well....I hate to say this but our agitation to get rid of Mubarak is in part responsible. The same or worse will happen in Syria if our Al Qaeda backed forces overthrow the government there. The same and worse happened in Libya with our Al Qaeda backed forces raping and mass murdering black Libyans, Christian or Muslim. Christians in Iraq were better off before we intervened as well. Maybe people will think about this next time they're tempted to blindly rally behind some "popular Arab uprising" because "the people just want freedom." If they throw off an oppressive government on their own terms that's one thing. When CIA paid Al Qaeda backed forces are involved it's something else altogether.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I had two coworkers, both were originally from Egypt (uncle and nephew). They are Coptic Christians. They became US citizens 7 years ago. They used visit Egypt once every one-two years. Now they cannot. They say there are still protestors that go around harassing non-muslims. There are many areas where women have to wear a headwrap or risk getting kidnapped/raped.

Their family and friends, many whom are Coptic Christians, are living in fear right now. Murabak was bad, but the new government is even more bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieDan View Post
    Same situation goes on in Africa.
    A comment like that might put the rest of your statement in doubt. A few years ago, wasn't all of Egypt in Africa? Now almost all of Egypt is in Africa. Almost everyone living in Egypt was born in Africa. I know, some refugees escaped from Asia and some other people moved to Egypt, but almost everyone there is a native African.

And I don't mean this type of African
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-17-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All the more reason we should NOT be backing these so-called resistance groups and rebels.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

Quote Originally Posted by seyferjm View Post
    All the more reason we should NOT be backing these so-called resistance groups and rebels.
    We'll literally be blamed no matter how good our intentions were. I'm not saying our intentions are usually good, but if there was an example (I can't think of one) of one intervention that wasn't for selfish motives we would still be blamed. (for the poverty, etc.) We really do just need to steer clear from these quagmires. I mean, we '$#@!ed' a country up in the '40s. So that means we must go back in the '50s to further meddle. Doesn't go quite as planned so we go back in the '60s. All of the $#@! we did fermented and now we are back again. I really find it unbelievable that these generals (turned lobbyists) and warmongerers have not studied history. Kind of makes you think they want perpetual war.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Oh, and I forgot to comment on the OP. Very sad story. It's a shame that humans are progammed to try and dictate others' lives. (At least I'm partially convinced this is the case) I don't know if we'll ever get to the point of saying, 'You know what, you do this, or you do that, but I really don't give a $#@!. Just don't bother me with it.' The world would truly be a much better place.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 01-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

i think these governments can handle rebellions, but they cant handle jihadists.

how can former libya, egypt, tunisia and all those countries fight off al aqaeda (who are part of the rebels) if USA cant even defeat al aqaeda?

hard to kill crazy people who will blow themselves up or cowards enough to hide behind children.

Now that the french are involved in Mali its starting to look like a full blown crusade could break out. Islamists who are definitely not the same as muslims are fighting guerilla wars with the west on two continents.

Its a damn good thing they are islamists and not muslims...
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    A comment like that might put the rest of your statement in doubt. A few years ago, wasn't all of Egypt in Africa? Now almost all of Egypt is in Africa. Almost everyone living in Egypt was born in Africa. I know, some refugees escaped from Asia and some other people moved to Egypt, but almost everyone there is a native African.

And I don't mean this type of African
    I should have separated the two, but I always try to refer Egypt and northern Africa to the "Arab World", just like this picture demonstrates:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...orld_Green.png

But you're definitely right, whether it's Egypt or Nigeria, it's still Africa

Breaking news here at home...

The USSA continues to imprison a large portion of its populace including mothers and children for what they choose to ingest, further the government has proposed to curtail property ownership if government agents believe a person is "unballanced"...

Back to the foreign news.......

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm afraid Syria isn't far behind. I pray daily for the Christians in that part of the world as U.S. involvement continues to strengthen their enemies. I wish Evangelicals would put aside their fascination with Israel for a moment to see the real cost of the U.S. picking sides in Africa and the Middle East. They're literally encouraging the persecution of their so-called brethern.

i think 95% of the rebels are good people and have good intentions.. its just that for some reason, that 5% gets in power and influences the others.

change is risky. sometimes you have to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarLocke View Post
    I'm afraid Syria isn't far behind. I pray daily for the Christians in that part of the world as U.S. involvement continues to strengthen their enemies. I wish Evangelicals would put aside their fascination with Israel for a moment to see the real cost of the U.S. picking sides in Africa and the Middle East. They're literally encouraging the persecution of their so-called brethern.
    Yeah. But to do that would mean admitting the Iraq war was wrong.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

It's sickening the US is supporting these same anti-Christian militants in Libya and Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    i think 95% of the rebels are good people and have good intentions.. its just that for some reason, that 5% gets in power and influences the others.

change is risky. sometimes you have to risk it.
    Unfortunately that's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    It's sickening the US is supporting these same anti-Christian militants in Libya and Syria.
    You right, and I believe it has to do with the fact that the sitting president of syria belongs to a shiite group of islam which means that they are despised by the Saudies and the rest of the oil rich gulf nations. It's a war between Shia and Sunni currently going on. Iran backs Syria because the rulers are Alawies which is a sect within Shia. It's politics in the end, because if USA and its allies suddenly backs Syria then the OPEC (Sunni) community will start $#@! things up economically.

America sucks more than it used to but it doesn't suck like that.