Thread: For the Children video game safety tax

For the Children video game safety tax

If a new bill becomes law, gamers in Missouri could pay a "violent-game" tax in the near future. Missouri representative Diane Franklin (R-123rd District) introduced HB 157 (via PC Gamer) to the state's General Assembly this week, proposing that all games rated T, M, or AO carry a 1 percent excise tax.

Revenue derived from this initiative would be deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.

According to the bill, "immediate action" is necessary to protect and ensure the mental health of those exposed to violent video games. In addition, it claims that such a bill is necessary for the "immediate preservation of public health, welfare, peace, and safety."

HB 157 was introduced to the Missouri General Assembly January 14, exactly one month after the schoolhouse massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 children and six adults dead.

This is not the first time a state representative has introduced a bill seeking to tax violent games. In January 2012, Oklahoma state representative Will Fourkiller (D-86th District) introduced a bill that would charge a 1 percent excise tax, with revenue derived to be given to the state's obesity-fighting and anti-bullying funds.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/missour...me-tax-6402471
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    deposited into the state's general revenue fund and be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games.
    That's hilarious! I'm pretty sure if it was going to be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games, whatever that is, the money would be deposited into a treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games fund.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    That's hilarious! I'm pretty sure if it was going to be used only for the treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games, whatever that is, the money would be deposited into a treatment of mental health conditions associated with "exposure" to violent video games fund.
    My thought exactly.

Well video games were fun while they lasted. Back to Hooked on Phonics.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

DON'T TAX MAH GAMES BRO!!!
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    DON'T TAX MAH GAMES BRO!!!
    But it's for the children...

deposited into the state's general revenue fund
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Don't necessarily have a problem with a indirect tax like this..... just wish they would not bull$#@! the reason saying its for the children when we know full well that it is because they are broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger29860 View Post
    Don't necessarily have a problem with a indirect tax like this..... just wish they would not bull$#@! the reason saying its for the children when we know full well that it is because they are broke.
    They're stealing from productive companies and funneling that money to a government bureaucracy. I've seen this happen in N.J. with gambling in Atlantic City, it fails hard.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds to me like a another new useless industry formed by government. Alcohol treatment anyone?
    "The Patriarch"

one more reason to sail the high seas......