Thread: White House petition to bring troops home from Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

White House petition to bring troops home from Afghanistan

Please sign and share this petition to bring our troops home from Afghanistan now.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...n-now/ZJJV09DT

Bring all troops home from Afghanistan now.

The United States has been at war in Afghanistan for over 11 years, which makes it the longest war with US ground troops in history.

The Congressional Research Service says the US has spent $557 billion in Afghanistan from 2001 through 2012.

66,000 US troops remain in Afghanistan as of January 2013.

Reports indicate the Administration may decide to keep as many as 15,000 US troops in Afghanistan in 2015 and beyond.

Over 2,000 US soldiers have lost their lives in Afghanistan and tens of thousands have come home wounded.

Therefore, We the People demand all US troops be brought home from Afghanistan now.
    I started this petition after reading that the first casualty of 2013 was of a 28 year old soldier killed on January 10 and that only two national media news organization have reported on it (no CNN, NY Times, Reuters, etc).

Now, Mitch McConnell is saying that we need at least 10,000 troops beyond 2014 and the Administration is deciding how many to leave behind rather than when to bring them all home.

Although this won't change policy, I'm hoping the media will report on this petition (since they have been doing it a lot recently) and bring awareness to the situation.

People are tired of this war so please share and let them express their frustration by signing this petition. It needs 150 signatures before it becomes open and searchable to the public.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unbelievable out of 240 open petitions this is the only one......

First one I have ever signed.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisMarion View Post
    Unbelievable out of 240 open petitions this is the only one......

First one I have ever signed.
    Yea, I was surprised there wasn't one petition related to Afghanistan.

+rep for signing

https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/sta...05463528329216

--
    edit, also promoted to front page
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I bet the people in the White House just laugh at silly petitions. People really think these are going to do anything?
    If you are in the North Texas area, join our page to get active and fight for Liberty!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/28828...8287801289033/

#LiveFree

Quote Originally Posted by KMX View Post
    I bet the people in the White House just laugh at silly petitions. People really think these are going to do anything?
    It's just infuriating that there are NONE. What happened to the antiwar left? Let's put it in their faces and at least maybe a few will think about it. And the media does report when it reaches a level it needs to be addressed by the white house per Obama's promise.

But no, I don't sign these generally, because I think Obama does it to cherry pick what he wants to do anyhow and claim a mandate, ignoring those he'd rather not see - unless they become cause celebre like the Piers Morgan one.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by KMX View Post
    If you think the only goal is to actually get Obama to bring all the troops home, then yea, it's not going to accomplish that.

However, more political people understand that certain actions generate media attention and can help the cause in other ways.

Look at the Death Star petition. You think the actual goal was to build a death star? Come on...

It got almost 35k people to sign a petition and probably many to think about how absurd it is to waste money building something useless. Then after the White House responded, every media organization reported on it.

Is anyone keeping track of how many meaningful-not-farfetched White House petitions have logged a significant number of signatures, only to be dismissed with some variation of THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST?
    Last edited by cheapseats; 01-15-2013 at 01:36 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    Is anyone keeping track of how many meaningful-not-farfetched White House petitions have logged a significant number of signatures, only to be dismissed with some variation of THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST?
    They respond to petitions that gather more than 25k signatures within a month. You can see all 96 responses here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/responses

The main point isn't to get a White House response. It's to generate media attention and to remind people that there are still tens of thousands of troops there and they will not all be brought home even after 2014.

15 people signed the petition today.

signed it
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Quote Originally Posted by shane77m View Post
    signed it
    remind me to give you rep when you are no longer a guest and are rep receptive...

The online White House petition system is a way for the government to easily identify the troublemakers. "Hey, come over here and give us your name and address.... we won't bite."
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    The online White House petition system is a way for the government to easily identify the troublemakers. "Hey, come over here and give us your name and address.... we won't bite."
    yeah, that occurred to me, but with all the data mining crap they are pulling, I figure I'm pretty naked already.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    yeah, that occurred to me, but with all the data mining crap they are pulling, I figure I'm pretty naked already.
    No comment at this time

Did this one make it in before the 100,000 signature cut off date?
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have to read the fine print. Yes it did, however, if they say it is when it reaches their 'shows up in database' threshold, it hadn't done that yet. It better make it.

Yea it did. It only needs 150 signatures before it becomes searchable to the public. I think once it's open to the public, it should pick up signatures on its own. The problem is getting to 150.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Yea it did. It only needs 150 signatures before it becomes searchable to the public. I think once it's open to the public, it should pick up signatures on its own. The problem is getting to 150.
    Did you post this at DP? Unfortunately when you posted it here, the forum immediately went down, so it didn't get as much exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Did you post this at DP? Unfortunately when you posted it here, the forum immediately went down, so it didn't get as much exposure.
    Yea I did. No response.

http://www.dailypaul.com/270266/whit...om-afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    bumped it there as well.

22 signatures? What say you?

By the way, the name of the soldier lost that was mentioned in the OP is Aaron X. Wittman.

25 year old soldier killed on January 16. It's been over 15 hours since DoD sent out a press release of the death and still no national media coverage.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.