Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Communication if the grid goes down ?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Matt, all you need to jam more frequencies in more places is more transmitters. That's all.
    More transmitters, and more men to guard those transmitters.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Google HSMM MESH. Its ham radio internet. We gave streamed full pbx voip systems, video, web server, email.... Etc.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    More transmitters, and more men to guard those transmitters.
    All those transmitters would need a LOT of power too! Probably have to have several coal plants everywhere to block everything...

It depends on your communications needs. Are you trying to communicate a block over? The next county? The other side of the world?

Ham radio is your best bet - with the right equipment and some learning on your part you can send text & data over ham. Aside from ham, though, you do have some options for a more localized effort - FRS/GMRS radios, CB radio, and Marine radio are all options to look into.

Some good resources:
    American Preppers Network Radio Net - The "communications arm" of the American Preppers Network. Some good information, more prep-oriented than your regular Ham enthusiast site.

Amateur Radio Relay League - Founded in 1914, the American Radio Relay League is the national association for amateur radio in the USA. Today, with more than 158,000 members, ARRL is the largest organization of radio amateurs in the United States. Lots of good technical information.

General information on Packet Radio (being able to pass digital data packets over analog radio): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio Also has links to other packet technologies, like D-STAR. BBS systems, e-mail, text chat, small file transfers, and more can be done over ham.

For more localized communications, FRS/GMRS radios and CB radio is a safe bet. CB is fine in the car or as a base station, and there are some fine handheld units. Other than that, Garmin actually makes a GPS/2-way radio (FRS/GMRS), digital camera/NOAA weather alert radio combination, their Rino 655t. The topo 100k maps are esily replaced with the (much better) topo 26k maps. If you have multiple Garmin Rino's, you can see each other on your map, making keeping track of friends/family easy. They have lower models, as well. I work as a Satellite technician in Afghanistan right now, and we use the Garmin Rino 110's for the digital compass and exact LAT/LONG when putting up dishes.

If you're concerned about batteries, get the Midland XT511. It combines a 2-way radio (FRS/GMRS), AM/FM radio, NOAA weather radio, flashlight, and USB charge port in a portable package. Comes with rechargeable batteries, and can be recharged via built-in hand crank dynamo. 90 second of cranking provides roughly one hour of continuous-use power.

Oh, and as for jamming radio communications? The military has got you on that one - they have a fleet of jammers that have been used in OIF and OEF to effectively neuter radio-controlled IED's, and they are perfectly good at knocking out all legitimate comms as well. It's a common problem over here in Afghanistan - the Army with leave their Dukes (a type of jammer) on when they drive into the FOB and knock out all comms not in it's exclude list -mostly military frequencies.

Here's a system that the USMC uses: http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...CHAMELEON.html
    Here's a great series of articles about IED's, and the Jammers the military is using against them. Note the things they can jam (key fobs, cell phone, frs radio, etc.): http://www.barthworks.com/military/ied02.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
    Oh, and as for jamming radio communications? The military has got you on that one - they have a fleet of jammers that have been used in OIF and OEF to effectively neuter radio-controlled IED's, and they are perfectly good at knocking out all legitimate comms as well. It's a common problem over here in Afghanistan - the Army with leave their Dukes (a type of jammer) on when they drive into the FOB and knock out all comms not in it's exclude list -mostly military frequencies.

Here's a system that the USMC uses: http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...CHAMELEON.html
    Here's a great series of articles about IED's, and the Jammers the military is using against them. Note the things they can jam (key fobs, cell phone, frs radio, etc.): http://www.barthworks.com/military/ied02.htm
    That's very localized and on a specific set of frequencies. They cannot jam the entire spectrum all at once in all places.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Matt, all you need to jam more frequencies in more places is more transmitters.
    See my previous post.

Okay. Now tell me what in God's name that has to do with which frequencies carry farther in which medium, or conform to the curvature of the earth better. I dare you.
    Because some bands do that better than others given specific conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty2897 View Post
    All those transmitters would need a LOT of power too! Probably have to have several coal plants everywhere to block everything...
    Exactly, it's not really feasible.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Question

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    Google HSMM MESH. Its ham radio internet. We gave streamed full pbx voip systems, video, web server, email.... Etc.
    What about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRLP

Matt - I can tell you from personal experience that if they want to drop the comms out in a 1km radius, they can. And they can do it even further than that when they crank the power. And yes, if they want to block out a spectrum (HF, VHF, UHF, etc.) they can. All of it. Goodbye HAM, cell phones, FRS/GMRS, Wifi/Wimax, CB, AM/FM. Incredibly easy to do.

Like I said, I'm a satcom engineer here in Afghanistan - I also manage the data network (including around 30-35 wireless shots) and manage the VHF radios we use (mostly motorola GP360's) and yes, the Army can drop our comms easily. The Marines at least remember to turn off their Dukes/Chameleons/THOR/etc. before they come back on the base.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In NH, a whole bunch of people have radios. The number keeps growing. A guy buys them wholesale from China and sells them for $40 cash. He even has the equipment to program them for you at no extra charge. They only reach a couple miles but you can ad on something that extends the range a little. I'd guess, in a few years, a lot more folks will have radios.

There is also pirate radio up here. Oh, and some people made sure the police scanner in several of the cities (including Keene and Manchester) are public. Plus other stuff I'd rather not say.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Question

Like I said, I'm a satcom engineer here in Afghanistan -
    Ok, cool. Glad to know that because now my respect for your opinions just went up...

Matt - I can tell you from personal experience that if they want to drop the comms out in a 1km radius, they can. And they can do it even further than that when they crank the power.
    How far out?

According to Animal Planet and Nat Geo, bigfoots use wood knocking, and the sound travels for miles on a calm night.

Matt - I can tell you from personal experience that if they want to drop the comms out in a 1km radius, they can. And they can do it even further than that when they crank the power. And yes, if they want to block out a spectrum (HF, VHF, UHF, etc.) they can. All of it. Goodbye HAM, cell phones, FRS/GMRS, Wifi/Wimax, CB, AM/FM. Incredibly easy to do.

Like I said, I'm a satcom engineer here in Afghanistan - I also manage the data network (including around 30-35 wireless shots) and manage the VHF radios we use (mostly motorola GP360's) and yes, the Army can drop our comms easily. The Marines at least remember to turn off their Dukes/Chameleons/THOR/etc. before they come back on the base.
    I deployed to Bosnia with one of the engineers that developed those IED jammers.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Last edited by klamath; 01-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Some good info in this thread. BTW, there have been other threads on this forum about the same question.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-13-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

klamath - so you know exactly what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    If it was bad for me to post online. It was bad for you to copy. Now I cannot edit it but you can

I don't actually have 1 of the radios myself.
    Fixed

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    klamath - so you know exactly what I am talking about.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    The more and more I think about what is happening and how the govt. is positioning itself - the more I think there will be an "event" which will knock out the internet and local communications - with the govt. then taking it over to tell the masses what to do. The stock market will collapse and only certain people will be able to get on it and they will clean our clocks. Total govt. controlled media and Orwell-like reality.

What is in place for local communications if this happens?... other than ham radios? anything?
    This is an opportunity for someone to invent a network of string-and-can communications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Wanted to get a ham radio...but the whole fcc thing is throwing me off. I think im just goingto get a cb for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris from Upstate NY View Post
    According to Animal Planet and Nat Geo, bigfoots use wood knocking, and the sound travels for miles on a calm night.
    Yes they do , and yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Wanted to get a ham radio...but the whole fcc thing is throwing me off. I think im just goingto get a cb for now.
    I wasn't thrilled with the licensing aspect either.

I got my handy talkie and used it only for monitoring for six or so months before I even took the test/got licensed.

Being able to monitor other stations/operators gave me a pretty good idea of what the licensed hams in my community are thinking. From my monitoring experience there are hams that I would network with and there are some that I would totally avoid (FCC rule nazis).

At this time in our county my ham radio also allows me to scan police/emergency frequencies on the go from my vehicle.

I monitor way more than I transmit. Being licensed and 'legally' able to transmit gives me a sense of what my equipment can do and if it's operational. Also, in my area, a licensed operator is more likely to get a ton more help from others. <-- Learned that by monitoring. Know your neighbors!

I can monitor CB frequencies with my handy talkie radio but can't transmit on those bands at this time -I'd have to mod my radio. In my area there is a whole lot more to monitor on the ham bands/emergency bands than the CB band.

This is the handheld radio I went with after a crash course learnin' myself about 'em:
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexvs.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    There are some cons to this particular model but overall I've been pretty satisfied with it. It has a nice balance of a lot of things for such a small package.

If I had it to do over, I'd go with a cheaper handheld and spend the saved money on a 6 -160 meter portable HF transceiver & accessories.

License or no license, the equipment is there for all to purchase.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Gun fire is all the communication we need.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    Yet it is silence I will listen for,
    Best of luck in life.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This is both false and reckless.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 01-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    I wasn't thrilled with the licensing aspect either.

I got my handy talkie and used it only for monitoring for six or so months before I even took the test/got licensed.

Sooo, does communication equipment WORK the same with or without licensing/permission?

Bearing the publication of gun owner addresses in mind, can "Authorities" more easily bushwhack licensed/ALLOWED communication equipment? Or does "unauthorized" transmission point a neon arrow at a readily findable Disobeyer?
    Last edited by cheapseats; 01-15-2013 at 10:34 AM.

...if they want to drop the comms out in a 1km radius, they can. And they can do it even further than that when they crank the power. And yes, if they want to block out a spectrum (HF, VHF, UHF, etc.) they can. All of it. Goodbye HAM, cell phones, FRS/GMRS, Wifi/Wimax, CB, AM/FM. Incredibly easy to do.

Does that mean NOTHING works, not even walkie-talkies such as kids and skiers use?

Let's play PRETEND...exactly what you describe HAPPENS. Does it become the "ground type of thing" mentioned elsewhere in this thread...or is the ground game foiled by generalized wreckage, and are people too busy keeping the roof/food thing together to be bothered with trying to say whassup to other people in the exact same predicament?
    Last edited by cheapseats; 01-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post

This is the handheld radio I went with after a crash course learnin' myself about 'em:
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexvs.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    There are some cons to this particular model but overall I've been pretty satisfied with it. It has a nice balance of a lot of things for such a small package.

If I had it to do over, I'd go with a cheaper handheld and spend the saved money on a 6 -160 meter portable HF transceiver & accessories.

What did that thing set you back?

This one looks pretty sweet, for a throw away.. ($42)

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...I1KTHFLOJP18QM

-t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast