Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Communication if the grid goes down ?

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    What did that thing set you back?

This one looks pretty sweet, for a throw away.. ($42)

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...I1KTHFLOJP18QM

-t
    Radio was around $370.00, accessories (extra batts, chargers, after market-antenna) set me back another $250.00 or so. It's the accessories that 'get ya'. lol

Those throw aways have their issues but for $42 -not bad.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^^^ what sort of issues

...then Klaatu signaled GORT with a borrowed flashlight.

GORT then caused the entire RonPaulForums website to go down for exactly 24 hours.

Forum members still failed to notice the irony of this thread, even after power and communications were restored.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post

GORT then caused the entire RonPaulForums website to go down for exactly 24 hours.

Forum members still failed to notice the irony of this thread, even after power and communications were restored.
    lulz...

not the forum going down, of course.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    ^^^^ what sort of issues
    I understand that some of the Baofeng & the Wouxun radios (Chinese radios) have ease of programing and accessory issues. Ain't so easy to program them and any after market accessories should be scrutinized.

That said, I've heard folks use the Wouxuns on our community repeaters and they sound pretty good.

I've found radios are a maze of of pros and cons. Best to first determine your needs and how deep you think you might want to get into it.

I picked up my stuff from these guys: http://www.universal-radio.com/index.html

They seem to be pretty upfront about the Chinese stuff.

The Baofeng UV-5R... This radio requires purchase of the USB-02 programming cable and downloading of software prior to use. These radios are certified under FCC part 90 and operate differently from traditional amateur equipment. FCC Part 90 radios do not operate natively in the VFO mode and are not as frequency agile and are best suited when frequencies are programmed into memory and operated in a channelized mode. Although they offer good value, they may not be suitable as a "first radio".
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

I was on 10 meters frantically calling: "Ron Paul Forums QSO, Ron Paul Forums QSO!"

No one QSL'd me. lol

Ron Paul

Thought of this thread as I tried to log into RP forums yesterday. Don't have a HAM or CB so what was I to do if this was a real shutdown. 95% of people don't have off-grid radios or communications and this could be a real problem.

Forum members still failed to notice the irony of this thread. . .
    Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    . . . Don't have . . . 95% of people don't have . . .

. . . this could be a real problem.
    One tank of gas will only take you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    I was on 10 meters frantically calling: "Ron Paul Forums QSO, Ron Paul Forums QSO!"

No one QSL'd me. lol

Good one.

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but Tube radios with discreet components are best since they aren't affected by emf blasts, chips can be fried.

edit: perhaps there is some sort of grounded or active shielding that can be done for chip'ed transmitters?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 01-17-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Clyde - if you possess foreknowledge of when the attack will occur, you could probably protect your electronics through some combination of grounding and the use of Faraday cages.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Maybe someone already mentioned this, but Tube radios with discreet components are best since they aren't affected by emf blasts, chips can be fried.

edit: perhaps there is some sort of grounded or active shielding that can be done for chip'ed transmitters?
    Faraday Cage.
    keep a backup set off all electronics you need in it.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Bring back the original Spark Gap Xmitter... Yea, a Digital Spark Gap! Don't expect it to do more than simple text messaging though. Jamming is impossible 'cause it does all the jamming anyone could want, on all/any frequency, unless it's tuned up very carefully!

The FCC will still try to hunt you down though... so, CB or Ham radio is the best option - just remember it's not private!

I can imagine an "underground personal SONET" that clandestinely rides on intercepted dark (un-used) optical fiber cables!

These guys might have some interesting tips (and traps!): http://www.2600.com/

Last edited by FindLiberty; 01-18-2013 at 01:46 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    deleted duplicate post - (it hangs upon submit sometimes)
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 01-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    This is the handheld radio I went with after a crash course learnin' myself about 'em:
    http://www.yaesu.com/indexvs.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
    There are some cons to this particular model but overall I've been pretty satisfied with it. It has a nice balance of a lot of things for such a small package.

If I had it to do over, I'd go with a cheaper handheld and spend the saved money on a 6 -160 meter portable HF transceiver & accessories.
    You can get a Wauxon or Boefeng very very cheap (well under $100).

http://www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=52
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

What do you think of something like this? Hand crank...

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-XT511-...ords=ham+radio
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    What do you think of something like this? Hand crank...

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-XT511-...ords=ham+radio
    The reviews there seem pretty straightforward about what it is and how it does.

I'm after a far greater range myself but could also see a use for a short distance radio system, but maybe not that short. Like the crank though.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 01-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    Ron Paul

If the government tries to shut down all communication with radio interference then there are other less efficient and slower ways to communicate. Programmed drones with exact details to reach a location with your message. Not ideal, but will work even with radio interference by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    If the government tries to shut down all communication with radio interference then there are other less efficient and slower ways to communicate. Programmed drones with exact details to reach a location with your message. Not ideal, but will work even with radio interference by the government.
    A totally EMP resistant and organic means of communication.

removed double post
    Last edited by sparebulb; 01-20-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Communication devices can also be used to "attract" the enemy in useful cases. Perhaps to see which way the wind blows.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123