Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Communication if the grid goes down ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Communication if the grid goes down ?

The more and more I think about what is happening and how the govt. is positioning itself - the more I think there will be an "event" which will knock out the internet and local communications - with the govt. then taking it over to tell the masses what to do. The stock market will collapse and only certain people will be able to get on it and they will clean our clocks. Total govt. controlled media and Orwell-like reality.

What is in place for local communications if this happens?... other than ham radios? anything?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is wise to have a ham radio. These allow alternative communication with other prepared people if the worst happens.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    It is wise to have a ham radio. These allow alternative communication with other prepared people if the worst happens.

How many ham radios would it take to relay news from one coast to the other?

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    How many ham radios would it take to relay news from one coast to the other?
    If you know what you're doing and have the right equipment, just 1 radio.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I don't foresee an "event", but many, many little ones. So many that you won't even notice they're happening. It's easier for them that way.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Obama has already signed an executive order allowing the govt. to take over all communications if deemed necessary...

Ham radios are certainly good - but very few have them. I am thinking more "on the ground" type of thing where information other than govt. propaganda is relayed - almost like a daily newsletter of sorts.

Not sure about the rest of you but if the grid ever goes down and you are in the Mid Atlantic and hear reports of rabble rousing than come on down for that is where ye shall fine me.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    Not sure about the rest of you but if the grid ever goes down and you are in the Mid Atlantic and hear reports of rabble rousing than come on down for that is where ye shall fine me.
    I'll be brewing beer and reloading rifle rounds in the basement lol
    Lībertās Aut Mors

Whenever, therefore, a lie has built unto itself a throne, let it be assailed without pity and without regret, for under the domination of a falsehood, no one can prosper.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    Obama has already signed an executive order allowing the govt. to take over all communications if deemed necessary...

Ham radios are certainly good - but very few have them. I am thinking more "on the ground" type of thing where information other than govt. propaganda is relayed - almost like a daily newsletter of sorts.

DRIVERS NEEDED.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    DRIVERS NEEDED.
    And horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Pigeons.
    Remind me before I eat them all....

I have a cb radio in my pickup. Works like a charm. Gets me the lowdown on all the speed traps, DWI checkpoints, and random inspection traps that keep the politicians well fed here in NY. When $#@! hits the fan it will be my first option. When the gas runs out and I can't charge my battery, I will resort to plan B... smoke signals. The secret is to have really dank bud, this makes the thickest smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris from Upstate NY View Post
    smoke signals. The secret is to have really dank bud, this makes the thickest smoke.
    I hear that Federal Reserve Notes are great for smoke signals... at least they're better at making smoke than they are at holding their value.

a modified ham radio is essentially the only way you can communicate over distance without the feds getting in.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

It's a reasonable concern - It all seems to be hanging by a thread. (no pun intended)
    Ham/CB communication is fine, "if allowed", (feds will always "get in")
    but if the whole power grid is down and out, good luck!
    Sooner or later, we ALL will be so screwed without power / food, etc...
    Got ammo?

Suicide Hammer (Team America style.)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An acquaintance of mine in NH was a friend of the late king of Jordan via ham radio, so the range is there. But if the radio is using a satellite to bounce signals off, couldn't the gov't shut those down? Maybe clandestine short wave?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnuhana View Post
    An acquaintance of mine in NH was a friend of the late king of Jordan via ham radio, so the range is there. But if the radio is using a satellite to bounce signals off, couldn't the gov't shut those down? Maybe clandestine short wave?
    Can't you just bounce a signal of the satellite even if they turn it off or encrypt it? It's just an object floating in space. I'm sure if you can find it you can use it. I watched a youtube video a while back where a guy took open source software and two direct TV dishes and used them to transfer data by bouncing the signal off a tall tower that could be seen from both locations a couple of miles away.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnuhana View Post
    Ham has the range. And there's using a satellite relay, and there's bouncing a signal off of a satellite. Like, for example, a ham signal can be bounced off of the moon. This isn't using the moon (a satellite) as a relay station. This is bouncing electromagnetic waves off of a solid surface.

They can't 'shut the moon down'.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    The radio waves don't bounce off of satellites,they bounce off of different layers of the ionosphere,Some better at night than day,winter than summer and different frequencies better off of different layers.
    It isn't 'either or'. Communications satellites are radio repeaters. Maybe 'bounce off' isn't the right word, but to say that man-made satellites don't extend radio range is silly. And while man-made satellites are too small to be useful for the purpose, a certain satellite called The Moon bounces radio signals very nicely, thank you. I'm not saying you're wrong about the ionosphere. You aren't. I'm just trying to clarify.

Ham and other radio signals do have disadvantages. They can be received by anyone, be they good guys or bad guys. They can be jammed by a stronger radio. Jamming one frequency doesn't make other frequencies useless, but some frequencies are handier than others. For example, an FM signal does not in any way have the range of a 'ham' frequency signal. There's a reason Navy submarines use very low frequencies--they carry through water.

At the end of the day, though, shutting down conventional means of communications is very much a last resort because the multinational corporations can't get along without them. So, the emphasis seems to be less on shutting communications down than on making sure the powers that be can eavesdrop on them all at will. That indicates to me that our best bet lies less in the hardware and more in innovative new methods of encryption.

Or even in old but proven methods of encryption. Anyone speak Navajo?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-13-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

The radio waves don't bounce off of satellites,they bounce off of different layers of the ionosphere,Some better at night than day,winter than summer and different frequencies better off of different layers.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Ham radio can't be jammed? What if the government broadcasts propaganda over all the frequencies the people try to use?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Ham radio can't be jammed?
    Of course it can. Who said otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Ham radio can't be jammed? What if the government broadcasts propaganda over all the frequencies the people try to use?
    It would be very very very difficult to do and thus highly improbable. Besides, if you have a modded radio that allows you to transmit outside of ham bands, then you could also likely get around it too.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It would be very very very difficult to do and thus highly improbable.
    Really? You ever try to get a radio signal through on the same frequency as the local clear channel AM station? Try it some time. The government can create one hell of a lot of electromagnetic noise. Bank on it.

Besides, if you have a modded radio that allows you to transmit outside of ham bands, then you could also likely get around it too.
    Sure, being flexible in your frequencies is a way to avoid jamming. Of course, there are two issues involved there. If your intended recipient (the person you're trying to communicate with) doesn't know where in the spectrum you're switching to, you wind up talking only to yourself. And once you get outside the bandwidth known as ham radio, the signal's ability to cover great distances is greatly diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Really? You ever try to get a radio signal through on the same frequency as the local clear channel AM station? Try it some time. The government can create one hell of a lot of electromagnetic noise. Bank on it.
    Not spectrum-wide they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And once you get outside the bandwidth known as ham radio, the signal's ability to cover great distances is greatly diminished.
    errr... not exactly.... see this -

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/p...3-allochrt.pdf

Not spectrum-wide they can't.
    Matt, all you need to jam more frequencies in more places is more transmitters. That's all. Excuse me if I don't share your love for underestimating potential enemies.

errr... not exactly.... see this -

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/p...3-allochrt.pdf
    Okay. Now tell me what in God's name that has to do with which frequencies carry farther in which medium, or conform to the curvature of the earth better. I dare you.

If data throughput is not an issue, you could do a number of things with a digital stream to improve a link and protect from interference and many other problems with wireless links.

Something along these lines

Ultra narrow band-width channel
    Receiver with excellent noise figure (first LNA with very low noise figure and high gain)
    Brick wall band pass filter after the IF
    Simple QPSK modulation
    A combination of block-code forward error correction wrapped around a convolutional correction code with a low coding rate
    Frequency hopping with hundreds of channels hopping in a pseudo-random sequence just fast enough for a small, complete packet to fit in a single channel.
    Maybe dynamic preamble and frame sync words based on the current channel and position in the hopping sequence (protection from synchronized jamming)

I think a system like this would go a long way to protect simple low-rate messaging systems.

[edit]
    If you decided not to abide by the regulations, there are even more things you could do... obviously.
    Last edited by liberty2897; 01-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.

If the grid goes down, the most important people you will need to talk to are those that are your neighbors. So verbal.

but for the intent of the question: I've always liked this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LGJ7evrAg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast