Thread: Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Update #2: I have been elected co-chair of my county GOP!

Update:

I am running for Co-Chair. Chair is not winnable at this point. Election is on the 17th. One third of vote locked up thus far.

Should I run for an officer position in my county GOP?

Every way I look at it I'll be short votes or at best tie. The only way I'd win is if they don't show up or I'm extremely persuasive. I'm certain they will turn out. The last time a liberty person could have won a position they postponed the election and brought in absent committee members. This was a decade ago and based more on a community divide rather than a political one.

However, my local GOP is deeply divided and I don't want to cause more resentment by running and losing. I also don't want to fracture the activist base in my small town of 9,500 even if I win. Unity is more important to me right now. We are non-verbally agreeing to disagree. But there are many harsh feelings. We DOMINATED our precinct caucuses in 2012 and won all delegate positions at our county convention leading to district and state conventions. Emotions are still raw for some.

No liberty person has stepped forward to run for any position; chair, co-chair, treasurer, or secretary. I am only interested in co-chair.

There is much strength in my local liberty group but no engaged leadership. I've stepped up on occasion to fill voids and feel I must do so again. I guess I need help weighing pros and cons. Election is in 11 days. Do I just put this off and organize for our 2014 caucus and sweep committee member positions then?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'm mulling it over. Off to bed, I'll check back in the morning.
    Last edited by Uriah; 01-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.