Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PHOTOS: Rand Paul Visits The Western Wall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PHOTOS: Rand Paul Visits The Western Wall

http://www.businessinsider.com/rand-...-photos-2013-1

I wanto go there and do that someday.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice Yamaka Rand
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-08-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopian View Post
    Nice Yamaka Rand!!!!!!

I never knew you were Jewish.
    You are kidding right? I have several Kippahs and I am not even Jewish. Its just something they give you for attending Bat mitzvahs

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You are kidding right? I have several Kippahs and I am not even Jewish. Its just something they give you for attending Bat mitzvahs
    Would you wear a turban if an Arab asked you to?

Christian-Judeo traditions transcend each other. That wouldn't apply with Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    Christian-Judeo traditions transcend each other. That wouldn't apply with Islam.
    Seeing as am an atheist, I could still seeing myself wearing it for a friend. In fact even at my most religious point in life, I could still see myself wearing it for a friend.

Christian Judeo traditions? What do people who love Christ have in common with people who killed and hate Christ? At least Islam acknowledges Jesus' existence and prophecy.

Islam and Christianity have a lot in common, in fact, all three religions do because they are all Abrahamic. That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Islam and Christianity have a lot in common, in fact, all three religions do because they are all Abrahamic. That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

maybe, if whoever is doing the asking was a good friend and doing it would make him/her happy, I will wear a turban. But muslim generally do not ask non Muslims to wear turbans unlike jews and their kippah.

I would if I wasn't looking to get patriot votes.

I enjoy funny hats, so yes. I'd wear sombraros, popehats, and turbans consecutively if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Besides that, I've heard it is actually required at the wall. This link says the same thing:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6121753_dres...jerusalem.html

Men wishing to enter the prayer section of the wall are required to wear either a Jewish skull cap called a yamakah or kippah or a hat. Any hat will do as long as it fits the visitor's head and doesn't have overt decorations. If a male visitor does not have a hat, he may take a paper yamakah provided at the entrance to the prayer section of the wall. Males may also venture into a special prayer room exclusively set aside for Orthodox males who sometimes pray in the room for hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Besides that, I've heard it is actually required at the wall. This link says the same thing:
    Yup, its probably because the orthodox types run the show over there. Conservative and reform jews probably wouldn't have cared if you have a kippah or not

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't remember having to wear any head cover. And I went to both the wall and one of the study/prayer rooms.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Nice Yamaka Rand
    and we have people here who want him for President....*facepalm*

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice Yamaka Rand
    Lowest Common Denominator, I don't know a single Jew impressed by a stunt like that.

Quote Originally Posted by loveableteddybear View Post
    Lowest Common Denominator, I don't know a single Jew impressed by a stunt like that.
    But I bet you know a lot of Jews that are offended if he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cero View Post
    There were some posters on here saying that everyone was required to wear the yarmulke. According to this video, that is obviously not the case.

Why are there so many pictures being taken? Is this a sacred religious experience or a photo op to go show AIPAC?
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-10-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    But I bet you know a lot of Jews that are offended if he didn't.
    Then those same Jews will vote for democrats who want Israel erased from the map, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post
    Then those same Jews will vote for democrats who want Israel erased from the map, go figure.
    Who would that be? Which Democrat in this country wants Israel wiped off the map? Howard Dean?

This is the kind of $#@! that I hate seeing out of politicians. You know, if Rand Paul cared that much for Israel and really wanted to see the Wall for his own religious beliefs, then fine. I wouldn't begrudge him that. But, am I way off line to think that he's only doing this $#@! for political purposes? Because every politician thinks he has to make a pilgrimage to Israel to suck up to their leaders and prove that he's a friend of Israel before he can run for president in the United States.
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.

This is the kind of $#@! that I hate seeing out of politicians. You know, if Rand Paul cared that much for Israel and really wanted to see the Wall for his own religious beliefs, then fine. I wouldn't begrudge him that. But, am I way off line to think that he's only doing this $#@! for political purposes? Because every politician thinks he has to make a pilgrimage to Israel to suck up to their leaders and prove that he's a friend of Israel before he can run for president in the United States.
    He's visiting several other countries besides Israel. You always fail to mention that for some reason.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And Rand is "sucking up to Israel's leaders" by telling them that we should eventually end all foreign aid to Israel? Lol.

*facepalm* Of all the things to bitch about ...

Let's just hope he never goes to Japan and bows to anyone. God only knows what that might mean. (It certainly couldn't be that he would simply be engaging in a very long & time-honored local custom. No, not at all.)
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    *facepalm* Of all the things to bitch about ...

Let's just hope he never goes to Japan and bows to anyone. God only knows what that might mean. (It certainly couldn't be that he would simply be engaging in a very long & time-honored local custom. No, not at all.)
    I know what you are getting at, but bowing in Japan (as in your example) does mean something. It shows subservience if you bow lower than the other party. High power folks in Japan basically just give a head nod. And when entertaining a westerner, a hand shake will do. You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties), right?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties), right?
    No way, man! I've seen Shōgun. They didn't have any of that stuff ...
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    No way, man! I've seen Shōgun. They didn't have any of that stuff ...
    My finals in Chinese III in high school was watching Shogun.. lol. I learned nothing from that class.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I know what you are getting at, but bowing in Japan (as in your example) does mean something. It shows subservience if you bow lower than the other party. High power folks in Japan basically just give a head nod. And when entertaining a westerner, a hand shake will do. You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties),
    Bows can have a lot of meanings...but height matters in very polite situations. When bowing to someone of equal status, and if you happen to be much taller than they are, you're actually supposed to bow deeper than the other party (to symbolically bring your height to their level). Obama's bow was super stiff and formal, and a little awkward and embarrasing since he tried to mix in a half handshake at the same time, which was weird, but overall it wasn't that bad and didn't mean subservience, IMO... I won't be upset if Rand does something like this one day, and I don't mind him visiting the wall, etc. I get what people mean though. Our politicans don't seem to be focused on America first.
    Last edited by July; 01-09-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast