Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of Gun Rights Organizations

List of Gun Rights Organizations

I didn't see a reference here so I thought I'd put one together. Post suggestions and comments in this thread and I'll keep the original post updated. Please suggest groups outside of the USA too. The purpose of this thread is to create a good list of organizations, not a long list, so please help keep the quality of the list high. For example, there are other gun rights groups within Virginia, but the VCDL is the only one of any impact currently so it is the only one listed. Thanks for your help.

Gun Rights Resources
    Open Carry.org
    Handgun Law.us

USA
    Gun Owners of America (GOA)
    Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
    National Association for Gun Rights
    Second Amendment Sisters
    National Rifle Association (NRA) (some disagreement within liberty movement - do your own research)
    Second Amendment Foundation
    The National Skeet Shooting Association and National Sporting Clays Association
    Amateur Trapshooting Association
    Pink Pistols
    Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Women Against Gun Control
    Pacific International Trapshooting Association
    Zone 7 Skeet
    Firearms Policy Coalition
    Fifty Caliber Shooters Association

Alabama
    Alabama Gun Rights
    Alabama Open Carry

Alaska
    Alaska Outdoor Council
    Alaska Machine Gun Association
    Alaska Gun Collectors Assocication
    Alaska Interior Marksmanship Committee
    Alaska Rifle Club

Arizona
    Arizona Citizens Defense League

Arkansas
    Arkansas Carry

California
    Gun Owners of California
    Calguns Foundation

Colorado
    Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

Connecticut
    Connecticut Gun Rights
    Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
    Connecticut State Rifle & Revolver Association, Inc.
    Connecticut Citizens Defense League
    Northeast Combat Pistol League
    Northwest Connecticut Sportsman's Council
    Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc

Delaware
    First State Firearms Freedom Association
    Delaware State Sportsmen's Association

District of Columbia
    LOL!

Florida
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    Second Amendment Coalition of Florida

Georgia
    Georgia Carry
    Georgia Sport Shooting Association

Hawaii
    Hawaii Rifle Association

Idaho
    Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club
    Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association

Illinois
    IllinoisCarry
    Guns Save Life
    Illinois State Rifle Associations

Indiana
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    Guns Save Life

Iowa
    Iowa Gun Owners
    Iowa Firearms Coalition

Kansas

Kentucky
    Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed

Louisiana
    Second Amendment Sisters - Louisiana
    Louisiana Shooting Association
    Louisiana Sportsman
    USPSA Louisiana Section
    Bayou Shooter

Maine
    Gun Owners of Maine
    Maine Gun Owners Association

Maryland
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Maryland Citizens for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Maryland Shooters

Massachusetts
    Gun Owners' Action League
    Lawful And Responsible Gun Owners

Michigan
    Michigan Gun Owners
    Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO)
    Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association
    Michigan Open Carry

Minnesota
    Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance

Mississippi

Missouri
    Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
    Gateway Civil Liberties Alliance
    Second Amendment Coalition of Missouri

Montana
    Montana Shooting Sports Association

Nebraska
    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association

Nevada

New Hampshire
    New Hampshire Firearms Coalition
    Gun Onwers of New Hmpshire
    Pro-Gun New Hampshire

New Jersey
    New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society
    New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense

New Mexico
    New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

New York
    New York State Rifle and Pistol Association (NYSRPA)
    Shooters Committee on Political Education
    Sportsmen's Association for Firearms Education

North Carolina
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association

North Dakota

Ohio
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Buckeye Firearms Association

Oklahoma
    Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA)

Oregon
    Oregon Firearms Federation
    Oregon Gun Owners
    Oregon State Shooting Association

Pennsylvania
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Rhode Island

South Carolina
    GrassRoots South Carolina
    Gun Owners of South Carolina

South Dakota
    South Dakota Gun Owners

Tennessee
    Tennessee Firearms Association

Texas
    Lone Star Citizens Defense League
    Peaceable Texans for Firearms Rights
    Texas State Rifle Association

Utah
    Gun Owners of Utah
    Utah Shooting Sports Council

Vermont
    Gun Owners of Vermont

Virginia
    Virginia Citizens Defense League
    Virginia Gun Owners Coalition

Washington
    Washington Arms Collectors

West Virginia
    West Virginia Citizens Defense League

Wisconsin
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc
    Wisconsin Firearm Owners, Ranges, Clubs & Educators

Wyoming
    Wyoming Gun Owners
    Last edited by cjm; 03-02-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: updated with input through post #39
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The National Association for Gun Rights
    http://www.nationalgunrights.org/

I don't know anything about them, but I discovered them yesterday here at the forums.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

The main NH groups are
    Gun Onwers of New Hmpshire http://gonh.org/
    Pro-Gun New Hampshire http://www.pgnh.org/

Nationally , you left off
    National Association for Gun Rights http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
    National Rifle Association http://www.nraila.org/
    Second Amendment Sisters http://www.2asisters.org/
    Perhaps others
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    The main NH groups are
    Gun Onwers of New Hmpshire http://gonh.org/
    Pro-Gun New Hampshire http://www.pgnh.org/
    I am happy to defer to your local knowledge but I have to ask... is GONH really a gun rights group? The Virginia affiliate for the NRA is the Virginia Shooting Sports Association and their tagline is "Protecting Virginia Gun Rights Since 1938." But if you ask a Virginian which organization to support for gun rights advocacy, I doubt any would suggest the VSSA. To borrow a phrase...

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    If you're in Virginia and not a VCDL member then you're a joke.
    So again, I defer to your local knowledge. If you say GONH is a good group, that's good enough for me.

And let me know if I should strike NH Firearms Coalition. That's just one that I had heard of way down here that looks good on paper, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Nationally , you left off
    National Association for Gun Rights http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
    National Rifle Association http://www.nraila.org/
    Second Amendment Sisters http://www.2asisters.org/
    Perhaps others
    Yes, nationally there are dozens of others. I'm happy to include any group that an RPFer suggests though. I only started with GOA and JPFO since I am familiar with them. I also left off the NRA since I am familiar with them too. There are many reasons to join the NRA but gun rights advocacy is probably not one of them in my opinion. I'm sure that they would stand up to an all out ban of firearms if it came to that, but they also seem content with the incremental bans that are leading to an all out ban. They also misinform voters with their candidate ratings. I would not dissuade anyone from joining the NRA for non-political reasons, but for gun rights advocacy, I couldn't in good conscience recommend that anyone support the NRA. And for the record, I am an NRA life member.

Since the NRA's political advocacy is at best a mixed bag, I initially left off the state affiliates. But I'll add them for anyone who will vouch for them. And if you feel strongly about adding the NRA to the list, I'll do that too, but I will probably put an asterisk and note that their entry is disputed. I hope that seems fair?
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    And let me know if I should strike NH Firearms Coalition. That's just one that I had heard of way down here that looks good on paper, but I have no first hand experience with them.
    The most influential group in NH is GONH, AFAIK. The other 2 groups listed including NHFC are also pretty good groups. Truth is, all 3 groups and the NRA all have issues. GONH and NRA had no problem giving me the amazing ratings I deserve. NHFC pulled a fast one and screwed me, though it might have been an accident so I don't have hard feelings. PGNH doesn't do ratings and none of the other groups in NH are considered of any importance.

It's your list, if you don't want to list NRA, that's your call.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

The most influential group in NH is GONH, AFAIK. The other 2 groups listed including NHFC are also pretty good groups. Truth is, all 3 groups and the NRA all have issues. GONH and NRA had no problem giving me the amazing ratings I deserve. NHFC pulled a fast one and screwed me, though it might have been an accident so I don't have hard feelings. PGNH doesn't do ratings and none of the other groups in NH are considered of any importance.

It's your list, if you don't want to list NRA, that's your call.
    I suppose the forum's authentication and authorization framework makes this my list, but my desire is to have it reflect the views of all the gun rights advocates here. You make a good point about all groups having issues. I'll add the NRA with small disclaimer. Thanks Keith.

H.L. Mencken

Sorry,, but I see the NRA as nothing but controlled opposition.
    Filled with Fudds and Gottminers, they have supported and promoted some of the worst legislation in the past few decades.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Sorry,, but I see the NRA as nothing but controlled opposition.
    Filled with Fudds and Gottminers, they have supported and promoted some of the worst legislation in the past few decades.

I understand that point of view and I hear it a lot. Some might say that the Republican Party is controlled opposition too, but Ron has promoted getting involved and making it better. As I mentioned before in this thread, I wouldn't advise supporting the NRA as a gun rights advocacy group but I can see where others might see the benefit there. They are large, have immediate name recognition, and have a profound influence over a large voting block. During Super Tuesday 2012, Virginia only had Romney and Paul on the ballot. When I spoke to people about Romney's D- GOA rating, the response I almost invariably got was, "What did the NRA rate him?"

Building up the GOA to replace the NRA is almost like building up the LP or CP to replace the GOP. I suppose it can happen, but in all likelihood the NRA seems like a permanent fixture. And the membership is as much to blame as the leadership. Generally speaking, the ins and outs of a particular piece of legislation may be hard to understand and trusting in an issue advocacy group to help you decide your opinion on it makes sense. If the leadership takes advantage of that situation, shame on them. But if the leadership can float a "B" rating for Romney and get away with it, that failure is on the membership.

I don't advise joining the NRA, but those of us who are already members need to take a closer look at our board of directors elections when they come up. Heck, I live just a few hours from their headquarters, maybe I'll run for the board of directors myself.

H.L. Mencken

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Second Amendment Foundation

http://www.saf.org/
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

I'm not sure what the current status of this group is. But it's based in and focused on Indiana. And as far as I know, it's pretty much limited to the southern tip of the state.
    http://www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Thanks for the input, presence. Are any of the AK or CT groups any more effective than others? Or would you recommend that a CT resident join all eight groups listed?

H.L. Mencken

We do not need lists,or organizations. Realize that the minute you put your name on a list, that list is out there for good and the gov can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    We do not need lists,or organizations. Realize that the minute you put your name on a list, that list is out there for good and the gov can get it.
    There are very effective gun rights organizations out there doing the dirty work for the rest of population. If you cherish your anonymity, support them anonymously with cash donations.

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Stupid comment is stupid

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ha, thanks for the quote!

So I'm sure this is outdated info at this point ( I put this list together in '07 ) but I did something similar on thehighroad.org.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=292484

Regarding VCDL, here's a write up of what we did this past Monday (was going to xpost here but the site was down). Every MLK day they swarm the capitol offices - while armed - and have a nice talk with our delegates and state senators.
    http://www.revolutionbox.org/Thread-...es-while-armed
    There are some less-than-libertarian ideas in the group, sure, but you can't argue that we're pussyfooting.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Thanks for the input, presence. Are any of the AK or CT groups any more effective than others? Or would you recommend that a CT resident join all eight groups listed?
    I can't comment, I was just helping expand your resource via google search. I recommend anyone do their own research into their state specific organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I can't comment, I was just helping expand your resource via google search. I recommend anyone do their own research into their state specific organizations.
    Fair enough, I appreciate the contributed leg work. I will just assume that they are all good groups until someone with local knowledge says otherwise. Thanks again!

H.L. Mencken

Ha, thanks for the quote!
    One cannot deny truth.

So I'm sure this is outdated info at this point ( I put this list together in '07 ) but I did something similar on thehighroad.org.
    Thanks for the reference!

Regarding VCDL, here's a write up of what we did this past Monday (was going to xpost here but the site was down). Every MLK day they swarm the capitol offices - while armed - and have a nice talk with our delegates and state senators.
    http://www.revolutionbox.org/Thread-...es-while-armed
    There are some less-than-libertarian ideas in the group, sure, but you can't argue that we're pussyfooting.
    +rep. Very good writeup. I'm sorry I missed Lobby Day this year. I had the time off from work and was ready to go but a personal conflict came up that meant I couldn't make it into Richmond that day.

H.L. Mencken

Indiana
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    returns a Trial Expired page
    "We're sorry but this account's trial has expired. "

You should add under Michigan the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO). They are the leading legislative lobbying win for gun rights in Michigan. As I understand it MGO splintered from MCRGO and while they have similar aims they do it a bit differently. MCRGO seems to be a bit more structured and professional whereas MGO appears to be more fluid and grassroots-led. Both are good organizations from my experiences and I follow and support both.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

Not gay myself, but I know we do have gay members on the RPF boards. Pink Pistols is a gay pro-2A group with 29 active Pink Pistols chapters nationwide. From their website:
    The Pink Pistols was founded on the principles of “Non Aggression”, we don’t promote or condone violence, but we recognize that “self defense” is a human right and sometimes extreme measures are called for.

Many straight people also oppose “hate crimes” because they too see “hate crimes” for what they are, “human rights violations”.

As such, the Pink Pistols has and will continue to have “Gay-Straight Alliances” because our lives depend on it.
    http://pinkpistols.org/

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks again for the reference. I clicked through the links and added the working ones to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Indiana
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    returns a Trial Expired page
    "We're sorry but this account's trial has expired. "
    I saw that when you originally posted, but it appears to be working again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
    You should add under Michigan the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO). They are the leading legislative lobbying win for gun rights in Michigan. As I understand it MGO splintered from MCRGO and while they have similar aims they do it a bit differently. MCRGO seems to be a bit more structured and professional whereas MGO appears to be more fluid and grassroots-led. Both are good organizations from my experiences and I follow and support both.
    Thanks for the input! I've added the MCRGO.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
    Not gay myself, but I know we do have gay members on the RPF boards. Pink Pistols is a gay pro-2A group with 29 active Pink Pistols chapters nationwide. From their website:

http://pinkpistols.org/
    Indeed. A traditionally liberal/progressive demographic that recognizes the importance of gun rights -- fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Very good, thanks for the input!

H.L. Mencken

Oh, there is also Michigan Open Carry, Inc. which specifically deals with open-carry laws, education, and promotion. They seem like a pretty good org from what I've seen, though I haven't done anything with them personally (yet, I want to go to one of their seminars ASAP).
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    The National Association for Gun Rights
    http://www.nationalgunrights.org/

I don't know anything about them, but I discovered them yesterday here at the forums.
    I got a letter from Rand Paul today encouraging a donation to The National Association for Gun Rights...
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I got a letter from Rand Paul today encouraging a donation to The National Association for Gun Rights...
    I got that too. I was going to ask if anyone is familiar with them and how they compare with the GOA and NRA.

usa

opencarry.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast