Thread: Derrick J's Victimless Crime Spree (2012)

Derrick J's Victimless Crime Spree (2012)

This is my review of the documentary Derrick J's Victimless Crime Spree that I just posted to IMDb.com:

In a TED Talk titled “Pay attention to nonviolence” filmmaker Julia Bacha said:

If we don’t pay attention to these efforts [nonviolent protests], they are invisible, and it’s as if they never happened. But I have seen first hand that if we do, they will multiply. If they multiply their influence will grow…. These leaders have proven that nonviolence works in places like Budrus [in Palestine]…. Let’s give them attention so they can prove it works everywhere.
    Derrick J’s Victimless Crime Spree shines a bright light on the activism that Free State Project participants are doing in New Hampshire to increase awareness of the many injustices perpetrated by government today.

In the film we get to meet many members of the growing liberty community in New Hampshire and get a sense that they are very kind and welcoming. Derrick J says in the film how surprised he was to find that he felt right at home only a few days after moving to New Hampshire.

This film was made on a very low budget using a lot of amateur footage, but is still an enjoyable watch and contains some very powerful scenes.

One memorable moment was Derrick J getting arrested for his act of civil disobedience in which he held a small amount of marijuana and sang John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance.”

In my view it is insane that people still let “government officials” get away with committing these crimes (arresting peaceful people) without facing any consequences whatsoever.

Let’s pay attention to the nonviolent activism being done in New Hampshire by watching this film and sharing it with others so we can create a more just and peaceful world.

Purchase the Director’s Cut DVD at AMAZON for $8.99

My blog post on this: http://wp.me/p2cdsV-hU
    Last edited by PeaceRequiresAnarchy; 01-06-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    "A consistent peace activist must be an anarchist." – Roderick T. Long, An Open Letter to the Peace Movement, https://peacemovement.wordpress.com/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great movie. Highly recommended!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Hey,

Glad you guys liked the movie! Thank you for sharing it.

-Ian Freeman
    Executive Producer
    Derrick J's Victimless Crime Spree
    Listen to Free Talk Live interview Ron Paul about Ending the Fed. Plus, you can listen to more great pro-liberty talk radio 24/7 via streaming, your phone, local radio, and free-to-air satellite on LRN.FM, The Liberty Radio Network!

Well, he was wrong when he was in the court building. He disrespected their space by following them around, and filming them. If they were at his house, or he was filming an officer that had pulled him over, that's different. It appears that he is the aggressor here.

Govt employees don't have a right not to be filmed.
    Listen to Free Talk Live interview Ron Paul about Ending the Fed. Plus, you can listen to more great pro-liberty talk radio 24/7 via streaming, your phone, local radio, and free-to-air satellite on LRN.FM, The Liberty Radio Network!

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    Well, he was wrong when he was in the court building. He disrespected their space by following them around, and filming them. If they were at his house, or he was filming an officer that had pulled him over, that's different. It appears that he is the aggressor here.
    If that's their space as you say then why do they steal my money to pay for both the space and their salaries? Derrick J is there to claim his rights.... right in the face of the thieves that take them. Check your premises if you think he's the bad guy.

great documentary btw. My favorite civil disobedience was when Derrick was holding the pipe with the cop next to him just waiting for him to take a hit. (singing a John Lennon song)

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    If that's their space as you say then why do they steal my money to pay for both the space and their salaries? Derrick J is there to claim his rights.... right in the face of the thieves that take them. Check your premises if you think he's the bad guy.
    1. He didn't have a dog in this fight. It was not his battle.
    2. The man with the hat was being disrespectful. The court has a code of conduct that he was not following.
    Now the street scene with a sign was a different story. He was on a public street excercizing his right of free speech.
    The guy with the hat was being disrespectful. The court has dress and conduct codes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. He didn't have a dog in this fight. It was not his battle.
    2. The man with the hat was being disrespectful. The court has a code of conduct that he was not following.
    Now the street scene with a sign was a different story. He was on a public street excercizing his right of free speech.
    The guy with the hat was being disrespectful. The court has dress and conduct codes.
    You say that a street is different from a courtroom, but how so? In both cases, he was on property that he helped pay for, doing nothing violent or aggressive toward anyone else.

I'll be damned if I'm going to be told what I'm "allowed" to wear on property financed by money stolen from me, by grown men wearing wigs and black dresses.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    You say that a street is different from a courtroom, but how so? In both cases, he was on property that he helped pay for, doing nothing violent or aggressive toward anyone else.

I'll be damned if I'm going to be told what I'm "allowed" to wear on property financed by money stolen from me, by grown men wearing wigs and black dresses.
    Okay. Go ahead and get locked up. Your choice. Post in on youtube.

Lick boots much?

Hey BAllen, how does that boot taste? The state loves your obedience.

Hey BAllen, how does that boot taste? The state loves your obedience.

I'm just stating the facts. If you can't handle it, that's YOUR problem.

Note that being disrespectful and violating someone's rights are not the same thing. I'm not sure what specific event you were referring to, but in general I believe that if you have the right to see someone/something and remember what you see and tell others about it then you have the right to use a tool (a camera) to help. I think that's the only consistent position. I elaborated on the argument in this blog post and responded to some criticisms in this thread on FreeRatio.org Ademo Freeman caged for "wiretapping" - My defense of his right to record. I tried discussing the argument with the liberty people on Ron Paul Forums here, but didn't find anyone who disagreed with me willing to share their reasoning.
    Last edited by PeaceRequiresAnarchy; 02-15-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    "A consistent peace activist must be an anarchist." – Roderick T. Long, An Open Letter to the Peace Movement, https://peacemovement.wordpress.com/

I'm just stating the facts. If you can't handle it, that's YOUR problem.
    I have been locked up for standing up for my beliefs. I don't need you to tell me what happens. :P

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cute movie, I actually appreciate people who give a finger to the man.

At the end of the day it may or may not be effective what they are doing in Keene, but I can't help respecting what they do.

We are gathering liberty lovers in NH and getting active. It is absolutely effective to concentrate activism. People who want to be effective should move to NH ASAP. http://freestateproject.org

Great stuff

+rep. keep going
    No - No - No - No

great video!

+ rep

How close are you to replacing that judge and the others with pro-liberty folks?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    great video!

+ rep

How close are you to replacing that judge and the others with pro-liberty folks?
    I think the general aim of liberty activism is not to replace the judges and other government thugs with people who won't commit aggression (although if we can do that great; saving people from criminals is always good), but rather is to change public opinion so that people don't think that the men with robes calling themselves the government magically have extra rights.

If I acted like the public judge and said that someone had to go to prison for possessing marijuana, for example, and then called a few of my friends to use force against that person to lock him up, then everyone would be outraged at my behavior and my friends' behavior and wouldn't let us get away with it. If we can change peoples' minds so that the public reacts the same to these government criminals as they would react to private individuals committing the same crimes then our society would be much more free and just.

So to the answer the question, I think that the liberty activists in New Hampshire are making substantial and meaningful progress in the quest to disillusion people about government. It may be true that most of the politicians in office are still the same old crooks and the laws on the books are almost just as anti-liberty as they have always been, but the number of liberty-minded people is growing and in the long run that is what is needed for a just society.
    Last edited by PeaceRequiresAnarchy; 02-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    great video!

+ rep

Ted, we've got a long way there. We need more people to move and get active here in NH, where activism actually makes a difference. Please visit http://freestateproject.org to get signed up and join thousands of liberty-minded folks in NH.

By the way, it's your last day to pre-order DJVCS on DVD!

http://order.victimlesscrimespree.com

Just $8.99 at Amazon and qualifies for Free Super Saver Shipping!

Nice vid, I applaud the courage. I would like to do such things here in Chicago but even a nights stay in cook county jail can result in a lifetime of consequences. I was very skeptical at first but am becoming more attracted to New Hampshire. Well done again.
    Best of luck in life.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    Nice vid, I applaud the courage. I would like to do such things here in Chicago but even a nights stay in cook county jail can result in a lifetime of consequences. I was very skeptical at first but am becoming more attracted to New Hampshire. Well done again.
    Yes, please do not try civil disobedience unless you live in a place like NH, surrounded by liberty-loving people.

You should definitely wait until you move to NH.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...