Thread: [Video] "I escaped a North Korean prison camp" - Shin Dong-hyuk's Survivor Story

[Video] "I escaped a North Korean prison camp" - Shin Dong-hyuk's Survivor Story

"I escaped a North Korean prison camp" - Shin Dong-hyuk's Survivor Story

Reason TV
    Dec 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvfiHmOFY78

Shin Dong-hyuk was born inside Kaechon #14, one of the world's harshest labor camps. His parents were political prisoners, declared enemies of the state for having committed minor offenses against the North Korean regime. Shin was routinely subjected to torture and knew nothing of the outside world until his escape at the age of 23.

Today he is on a mission to tell the world his story. And to remind us of the estimated 200,000 other forced laborers currently languishing under the regime of Kim Jong-un.

Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West
    - Blaine Harden, 2012

Last edited by FrankRep; 01-06-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let them take their freedom for themselves, if we help they will just exchange one Kim for a Barry. $#@! that.

Are their gills on this story, cause it sure is fishy!
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    Let them take their freedom for themselves, if we help they will just exchange one Kim for a Barry. $#@! that.

Are their gills on this story, cause it sure is fishy!
    He escaped North Korea, he did "take freedom."

Source #2

CBS 60 Minutes
    December 2, 2012

[Video] North Korean prisoner escaped after 23 brutal years

Born in a prison camp, Shin Dong-hyuk describes how three generations of a family are incarcerated if one family member is considered disloyal.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Watch this on Netflix. Wow, very depressing and sad. Yes, we don't need to intervene, but let's discontinue to stop South Korea from doing so. I'd volunteer to free those in prison camps.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

North Korea has to be the worst place in the world to live.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Watch this on Netflix. Wow, very depressing and sad. Yes, we don't need to intervene, but let's discontinue to stop South Korea from doing so. I'd volunteer to free those in prison camps.

South Korea can't do anything on its own. Seoul would be blasted in no time if war ever broke out. Best solution is to keep negotiating with them like Western powers are now and hope North Korea eventually opens up and reforms prior to collapse.

I watched a documentary on this dude a while back and IIRC he was escaping with a friend but the friend was fried by the electric fence allowing this guy to use the dead body to shield himself to get through said fence. This guy's mom used to beat him every night after she got done working her 16+hr days in a mine, it's hard to comprehend how mind-$#@!ed this dude really is and all that he went through. He even had the tip of one of his fore fingers but off at the knuckle. Plus, many of these prisoners die from starvation and the living situations are riddled with lice and god knows what else.

bump
    ----

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for bumping this thread. It seems some in the liberty movement are pushing a pro-NK agenda lately.

Like this guy

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...is-NKorea-film

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Thanks for bumping this thread. It seems some in the liberty movement are pushing a pro-NK agenda lately.

Like this guy

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...is-NKorea-film
    I've never understood this strain of thought I've often seen from LRC types. I'm as opposed to intervention as anyone here, but just because we shouldn't be meddling in the internal affairs of North Korea or Saudi Arabia or any other state as a matter of national policy doesn't absolve us of the individual moral responsibility to expose and oppose oppression, violence and evil in those countries.

I'm amazed at those who think nations that deprive their citizens of their fundamental rights and freedoms far more than the American Federal government does somehow become praiseworthy simply by virtue of being opposed to America's geopolitical goals.
    Last edited by Inkblots; 04-14-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    I've never understood this strain of thought I've often seen from LRC types. I'm as opposed to intervention as anyone here, but just because we shouldn't be meddling in the internal affairs of North Korea or Saudi Arabia or any other state as a matter of national policy doesn't absolve us of the individual moral responsibility to expose and oppose oppression, violence and evil in those countries.

I'm amazed at those who think nations that deprive their citizens of their fundamental rights and freedoms far more than the American Federal government does somehow become praiseworthy simply by virtue of being opposed to America's geopolitical goals.
    Who is saying that you should be absolved of exposing injustice of any kind? No one. Red herring.

But should we be closed-minded to valid criticisms of our political system/culture because we don't like the political system/culture of the people making said criticisms?
    Last edited by green73; 04-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Who is saying that you should be absolved of exposing injustice of any kind? No one. Red herring.

But should we be closed-minded to valid criticisms of our political system/culture because we don't like the political system/culture of the people making said criticisms?
    It's a question of credibility I believe. North Korea is notorious for human rights abuses and they're a bit hypocritical pointing out how "horrible" America is while ignoring their own flaws. The U.S. has plenty of good solid liberty supporters who can expose America's flaws, we don't need a North Korean dictatorship to do it.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by COpatriot View Post
    North Korea has to be the worst place in the world to live.
    Nah. Up there though. There are many places in Africa if not as bad, far worse.

E.g. Mauritania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania
    Last edited by Austrian Econ Disciple; 04-14-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    It's a question of credibility I believe. North Korea is notorious for human rights abuses and they're a bit hypocritical pointing out how "horrible" America is while ignoring their own flaws. The U.S. has plenty of good solid liberty supporters who can expose America's flaws, we don't need a North Korean dictatorship to do it.
    The more the merrier I say!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    And what country are you living in right now? Im sorry, but I could but wouldn't give two $#@!s a piss for anything Korea. Not to say I don't wish them the very best, from very far.

Another case of NUNYA. Whats going on in north korea? NUNYA.
    Last edited by bolil; 04-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Best of luck in life.