Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unemployment Rate at 7.8

Unemployment Rate at 7.8

The unemployment rate is at 7.8 percent. Is anyone bitching and moaning?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/01...-rate-economy/

Most economists expect that the U.S. economy will be held back by tax hikes this year as well as by weak spending by households and businesses, which are still trying to reduce their debt burdens.

on a side note...

Is there a currency which is backed by gold?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of the "job growth" or slowed job loss is due to Sandy recovery.

Unemployment numbers should start getting worse as the next months are reported, just my guess....

As millions continue to leave the work force because there is not a job to be found, the official unemployment rate can improve. Obama could potentially achieve a 0.00% unemployment rate with just one last American working.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Unemployment numbers should start getting worse as the next months are reported, just my guess....
    I'm with you, I just don't see how it can get better, short of creating either jobs or money out of thin air (measuring tricks don't count)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post

No

I believe the Swiss Franc was the last to be backed by gold. It was 40% backed by gold until 2000.

LOL. The real unemployment number is way higher than 7.8%.
    I am the spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    LOL. The real unemployment number is way higher than 7.8%.
    No kidding But hey, if it makes anybody feel better to see a small number, let them believe it. People who are unemployed or underemployed don't care how many others there are.

Sure, and I'm 29 yrs old........
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    No kidding But hey, if it makes anybody feel better to see a small number, let them believe it. People who are unemployed or underemployed don't care how many others there are.
    Lol right?
    I am the spoon.

They can say what they want. The figures in <backwater>, USA don't follow.

My county..

2012 10 10·0
    This is about as liberal assessment as I have seen. Well over 18% in my county. Well over.

Should be closing in on 7.0% even by the end of the year. The trend is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Oh yeah, everything is coming up roses.
    "The Patriarch"

If you consider an unemployment check as being employed.

Ya, I'm curious if when the "unemployment rate" reaches 6.5% Bernanke will raise interest rates as he said he would. If rates are allowed to go up any significant amount, excess reserves will be dumped in a hurry, spiking massive instant inflation, causing loss of confidence in the dollar, and sending us in a spiral.

The interest rates are stuck near zero I think, for the remaining life of the dollar's history.

("unemployment rate" is in quotes because its obviously a bull$#@! made up number)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Since 2005 the unemployment rate in Hillsdale, Michigan has ranged from 6.2% in October 2005 to 19% in July 2009. The current unemployment rate for Hillsdale is 8.4% in September 2012. See how other local areas compare by using our Unemployment Compare tool.
    If the unemployment number here dropped that sharply it's because people are fleeing this county. Probably to Indiana.

As for myself I'm an unemployed College Student. I'm not looking for work because there are no jobs here. This place is an economic disaster. I need to finish school, get my stupid diploma paper, and bug out of here.

This would never have been tolerated under a Bush Admin. Then again, the continuing of the wars wouldn't have either.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I would think more torwards 8 or 9 .....

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would think more torwards 8 or 9 .....
    Numbers are set by the definition of those that set the formula.

If the government said tomorrow that unemployment was at 2% it wouldn't make it so. And national makes no difference when it comes to regional for an individual.

As much as I hate my job, I'm very thankful that Ive got it.

The unemployment rate is at 7.8 percent. Is anyone bitching and moaning?
    7.8%... of Americans that are either employed, or actively looking for work.

The real % of Americans unemployed is something more like 60% of the total population that is eligible to work (i.e. adults ages 18-60).

But Obama wont' tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Sure, and I'm 29 yrs old........
    What is that in cat years?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Jordan Your faith in the keynesian model is unflappable. Have you ever considered that left alone the economy would have recovered quicker?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two things will probably slow the January figures. One is holiday temporary help being let go. Two is the still remaining uncertainty about the budget issues. Companies are holding off more hiring until they get a better idea of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyInNY View Post
    7.8%... of Americans that are either employed, or actively looking for work.

The real % of Americans unemployed is something more like 60% of the total population that is eligible to work (i.e. adults ages 18-60).

But Obama wont' tell you that.
    If somebody is not looking for a job, should we count them as being unemployed?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Labor Force Participation Rate was 66.3% in December 2002. In December 2012 it was 63.6%.
    http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Say it is 50 or 60 % , that is not enough taxpayers to keep spending going without adding 5 -6 trillion in debt every four years or so , I imagine.Spending cuts have to happen, or fail , we all know there is no intent to cut spending , leaving one result.

Medicare would have to be cut to the bone ( eliminated or only for the destitute ), Social Security money would have to be pulled out into a seperate fund, defense would have to be cut, about everything else eliminated .Never going to happen.

re

The problem is that they don't count people that can no longer apply for unemployment benefits as unemployed in their numbers. I hate they say people that are no longer claiming unemployment benefits as being people that gave up looking for work. I believe most are people that no longer can claim benefits because they ran out of benefits. There is a ton of long term unemployed people that they called hopelessly unemployed people. The government needs to do something help out those that no longer get benefits that have been out of work for a year or two.

This article below says there are 3 million hopelessly unemployed people that is about 10 percent of the US population. So add 7.8 + 10 = almost 18 percent real unemployment.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/04/news...loyed-workers/
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 01-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerrockstar View Post
    The problem is that they don't count people that can no longer apply for unemployment benefits as unemployed in their numbers. I hate they say people that are no longer claiming unemployment benefits as being people that gave up looking for work. I believe most are people that no longer can claim benefits because they ran out of benefits. There is a ton of long term unemployed people that they called hopelessly unemployed people. The government needs to do something help out those that no longer get benefits that have been out of work for a year or two.

This article below says there are 3 million hopelessly unemployed people that is about 10 percent of the US population. So add 7.8 + 10 = almost 18 percent real unemployment.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/04/news...loyed-workers/
    Not exactly true. To be in the workforce, you must meet two criteria. One- have a paid job- be working. Or number two- not have a job but be actively looking for one. If you aren't looking for a job, you aren't in the workforce and you aren't considered unemployed.

Whether or not you are receiving any sort of unemployment benefits does not add or remove you from being considered unemployed. If your benefits run out and you don't look for work, yes- then you will not be considered to be part of the work force. If your benefits run out and you are actively looking for a job and not working for money, you will still be counted as unemployed and in the workforce.

To be elgible to be on unemployment, you are supposed to be looking for a job but people may fudge on that to collect the money. Once the benfits do run out, they may fess up and say they aren't looking for a job. That WILL get them considered no longer in the workforce.

They conduct telephone surveys and ask thousands every month a series of questions to try to determine if they are working or looking for a job.

From the CNN article:
    They're not counted as part of the labor force, the official unemployment rate, or the category the Labor Department refers to as "discouraged workers" -- those who haven't bothered to look for work in the last four weeks.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast