Thread: Controversial bird flu - to make it easier to spread in humans - work resumes

Controversial bird flu - to make it easier to spread in humans - work resumes

Controversial research into making bird flu easier to spread in people is to resume after a year-long pause.

Some argue the research is essential for understanding how viruses spread and could be used to prevent deadly pandemics killing millions of people.

Research was stopped amid fierce debate including concerns about modified viruses escaping the laboratory or being used for terrorism.

The moratorium gave authorities time to fully assess the safety of the studies.

A type of bird flu known as H5N1 is deadly and has killed about half the people who have been infected.

It has not caused millions of deaths around the world because it lacks the ability to spread from one person to another. Cases tend to come from close contact with infected birds.

Scientists at the Erasmus University in the Netherlands and the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the US discovered it would take between five and nine mutations in the virus' genetic code to allow it to start a deadly pandemic.

Dangerous science?

Their research was the beginning of a long-running furor involving scientists, governments and publishers of scientific research.

It is easy to see why designing a more dangerous version of H5N1 would raise concerns. A virus which can kill half of the people it infects and could spread rapidly from person to person is the stuff of Hollywood disaster movies.

However, the research could reveal important insights that could prevent such an infection arising in the wild and help build defences just in case.

The studies in ferrets showed that five to nine mutations were needed to get H5N1 spreading through the air from animal to animal.

This helps health officials tracking the virus as they can keep an eye out for danger signs in the virus' genetic code. Two of the mutations have been seen in the wild - but alone are not enough to set alarm bells ringing.

Getting an idea of what a highly infectious H5N1 virus would look like can also be used to help design effective vaccines and anti-viral medications.

This controversy is about balancing risks - do you study the virus with a remote chance of it getting out of the laboratory or do you avoid such research and miss out on discoveries which could save lives in the next pandemic?

The US National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity asked academic journals not to publish key parts of the findings. It was concerned terrorists would use the details to develop a biological weapon.

It provoked outcry among some scientists who said their academic freedom was being restricted. Other scientists said the risk of the virus spreading was too great for such research to take place and described it as a folly.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21165288
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let's each hold guns to our heads and research probabilities in statistics using a method commonly known as "Russian Roulette." The controversy is about balancing risk here - do we attempt this a hundred times with the remote possibility of blowing our brains out or do we avoid this research and miss out on discovering anomalies and probability patterns? These people are drowning in a sea of stupidity, or there is a Rockefeller nearby.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

This...this $#@!ing $#@! is what is going to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, if anything man made does.

This where my Luddism turns into full blown, red eyed, spittle flying rage.

$#@! you, $#@! your research, $#@! your "intellectual curiosity", I'm sick and $#@!ing tired of having a gun held to my head by the technocrats and "experts".

You and your unintended consequences have $#@!ed us up far too many times in the past, to be playing around with $#@! like this.

You'll release a pandemic plague upon us and mumble "Oops, our bad" into your beards while humanity dies in a giant pool of sputum and $#@!.

Nice $#@!ing work.

Kill these $#@!ing places with fire, burn them to the ground, bulldoze the ashes and salt the earth where they stood.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.

This controversy is about balancing risks - do you study the virus with a remote chance of it getting out of the laboratory or do you avoid such research and miss out on discoveries which could save lives in the next pandemic?
    Lovely bit of emotional demagoguery here. If you don't support this research then you are for killing people.

This, along with the report about wanting to clone a Neanderthal, reinforces the public's perception of science as a profession of madmen. Either these people are insane, or they don't really care. It's all about feeding their egos, and since they're so smart they think nothing can go wrong. Reminds me of The Stand.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This...this $#@!ing $#@! is what is going to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, if anything man made does.
    This where my Luddism turns into full blown, red eyed, spittle flying rage.

$#@! you, $#@! your research, $#@! your "intellectual curiosity", I'm sick and $#@!ing tired of having a gun held to my head by the technocrats and "experts".

You and your unintended consequences have $#@!ed us up far too many times in the past, to be playing around with $#@! like this.

You'll release a pandemic plague upon us and mumble "Oops, our bad" into your beards while humanity dies in a giant pool of sputum and $#@!.

Nice $#@!ing work.

Kill these $#@!ing places with fire, burn them to the ground, bulldoze the ashes and salt the earth where they stood.
    I've stated so much. I caught a lot of $#@! too from those who feel we are much better off manipulating and mutating genes as we see fit. While I like your phrasing, I would also like to add that I personally feel we are as dumb as we think we are smart. There is no way to guarantee these mutations, whether that be salmon or H151, will not escape. Further there is no way to know the full scale consequences of what would happen if they did. For all I know, HIV was the result of someone who thought they were too smart for 'our' own good. Start tinkering with $#@! that shouldn't be tinkered with and pretty soon you don't know how to fix what you broke. Some people actually applaud this type of 'exciting,' new, science. While I am not particularly religious, I can see the consequences that could come should we continue to 'play God.'
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 01-23-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I can think of few situations the term 'Pandora's Box' better fits....
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden