Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul again hints at presidential bid, also says he differs from father on some policy

Rand Paul again hints at presidential bid, also says he differs from father on some policy

http://washingtonexaminer.com/rand-p...7#.UOdKRG8j7-Z
    Sen. Rand Paul, heir to his father Rep. Ron Paul's political establishment and following, said Friday that he is thinking about running for president, declaring that only a "libertarian-Republican" can unite the GOP.

Speaking on "The Andrea Tantaros Show with Jason Mattera," which debuted this week, the Kentucky Republican said that while he hasn't ruled a presidential run in 2016 in or out, the GOP is going to have to turn to somebody like him to win enough voters to beat a Democrat.

"We are going to have to have somebody a little bit different than we've had in the past," he told Tantaros on the show that replaced the Laura Ingraham Show on the Talk Radio Network. "Someone who can appeal to people in New England and on the West Coast. Someone who has a little more of a libertarian-Republican approach, I think, would have a better chance with independents and moderates."

"And so we'll think about it."

This week, he took a big step toward having a base to run for the White House by winning a seat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee where he said he will have a voice on international issues.

His first foreign trip in his new role is something of a surprise. He's traveling to Israel and also meeting with officials in Jordan and the West Bank. His father and he have been knocked for being anti-Israel for their opposition to U.S. military aid.

But in the Tantaros-Mattera interview, he broke from his father and said that instead he is worried that foreign aid to Egypt must be blocked because the equipment could end up being used against Israel.

Asked about the differences with his father on foreign policy and Israel, Rand Paul said, "we will be slightly different on some policy."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it's naive to think a GOP nominee can ever appeal to the West coast or New England again. Things have changed too much and they're reliable Democrat states. It will still be very close no matter who the nominee is and will come down to 2-3 states. Putting Wisconsin and PA in play would be progress. Hanging on to FL and winning OH is critical.

The CRA exchange between Rand and Maddow has the most potential to damage him in a general election fight. He needs to make sure he has a good way to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    The CRA exchange between Rand and Maddow has the most potential to damage him in a general election fight. He needs to make sure he has a good way to address it.
    Agreed. Rand is very politically keen though. He handled the Aqua Buddha thing really well and even got Chris Matthews on his side defending him.

We just elected a president twice who was friends with Bill Ayers and went to Jeremiah Wright's church...I'm sorry but anything Rand has done does not even come close to that. Lastly, I'd argue that New England was NEVER libertarian. I think people misconstrue the meaning of libertarianism to be simple fiscal conservatism and social liberalism. I've found many libertarians, especially Ron Paul libertarians, to be arguably even more conservative on many social issues. New England Republicans love to say they are fiscal conservatives, but they love high tax, high spending budgets with an emphasis on public works and social programs. Rockefeller Republicans were progressives, not libertarians. New Hampshire might be the only chance of a true libertarian play.
    Last edited by supermario21; 01-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

I think hes getting ahead of himself or maybe fell in love with the power of being a Senator. He hasn't really impressed me that much in so far as what he has done, not that its been bad, just nothing noteworthy for president. (same with Obama before him)
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

"Asked about the differences with his father on foreign policy and Israel, Rand Paul said, "we will be slightly different on some policy."

I hope it's not too much different.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    We just elected a president twice who was friends with Bill Ayers and went to Jeremiah Wright's church...I'm sorry but anything Rand has done does not even come close to that. Lastly, I'd argue that New England was NEVER libertarian. I think people misconstrue the meaning of libertarianism to be simple fiscal conservatism and social liberalism. I've found many libertarians, especially Ron Paul libertarians, to be arguably even more conservative on many social issues. New England Republicans love to say they are fiscal conservatives, but they love high tax, high spending budgets with an emphasis on public works and social programs. Rockefeller Republicans were progressives, not libertarians. New Hampshire might be the only chance of a true libertarian play.
    I was just gonna say, New Hampshire...

But anyway I think he is looking at it long term, at what type of conservative has the best chance of breaking into these states, and eventually turning them more red, not that they are necessarily libertarian now. The GOP isn't growing, it needs to start capturing some issues and voters from the opposition, IMO, or it will continue to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    He does and took CNN to task in the process.

Last edited by Bastiat's The Law; 01-04-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Rand has used his power in the Senate amazingly. Grinding the Senate to a halt more than once. Fantastic. He is very similar to his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    "Asked about the differences with his father on foreign policy and Israel, Rand Paul said, "we will be slightly different on some policy."

It's really only in rhetoric.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    He hasn't really impressed me that much in so far as what he has done, not that its been bad, just nothing noteworthy for president. (same with Obama before him)
    Then you haven't been paying attention.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Message to the liberty movement; we are taking down the Miami GOP, up next, Broward!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It's really only in rhetoric.
    Precisely.

Ron's views on foreign policy and Israel is what set him apart from the rest of pack in 2008 and 2012. A lot of us would not be here if Ron was not the voice of reason on that issue. Rand Paul is going to be another Rick Perry unless he wholeheartedly endorses the same foreign policy his father endorsed. The GOP is dead, and they have no chance of winning unless they inject some Ron Paul type enthusiasm into their message. Fiscal conservatism along with a status qua foreign policy is not going to be a recipe for success for Rand. Rand needs some new advisers if he thinks emulating Rick Perry will win him an election.
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So we'll take lectures on GOP primaries and foreign policy from someone who joined in Oct 2012...

Did you actually watch any of them in the last 5 years? The most hawkish idiots won them all, all of them.

Yes, Ive been a member here since 2007 under a different username.

and winning a GOP debate is like winning a race in the special Olympics....

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post

This is what worries me, too. The trend away from Ron Paul's foreign policy that I have been noticing. If he's not on board with non-interventionism, I'm not interested. He ought to straight out say it, or else we really don't know. For a while Rand seemed like he would be great, but at this point we need to hear some hard line non-interventionism from him to be sure -- with votes that would be controversial to the pro-war crowd to back it.
    Last edited by Yieu; 01-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopian View Post
    Ron's views on foreign policy and Israel is what set him apart from the rest of pack in 2008 and 2012. A lot of us would not be here if Ron was not the voice of reason on that issue. Rand Paul is going to be another Rick Perry unless he wholeheartedly endorses the same foreign policy his father endorsed. The GOP is dead, and they have no chance of winning unless they inject some Ron Paul type enthusiasm into their message. Fiscal conservatism along with a status qua foreign policy is not going to be a recipe for success for Rand. Rand needs some new advisers if he thinks emulating Rick Perry will win him an election.
    I strongly agree with this entire post. I was going to put the first, second, and last sentences in bold to highlight their importance, but every sentence is important in this quote, and I think Rand should understand this.

There are some here who would ignore what is written here and pretend like it doesn't exist -- but it is important feedback. Without non-interventionism, the liberty message is dead, and no different from what others in the government claim to be offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    I strongly agree with this entire post. I was going to put the first, second, and last sentences in bold to highlight their importance, but every sentence is important in this quote, and I think Rand should understand this.

There are some here who would ignore what is written here and pretend like it doesn't exist -- but it is important feedback. Without non-interventionism, the liberty message is dead, and no different from what others in the government claim to be offering.
    I agree, and Rand needs to say this explicitly, just as his father did. If he can't or won't for political reasons, he's not really any better than Rick Perry...or the rest of the GOP field.

The only difference is rhetoric, if you're expecting him to be as blunt as Ron Paul then you better look for someone else. While that might work for some people it was a turnoff for a majority of Republicans.

Ron Paul caught my attention because he was the only anti-war candidate among a bunch of hawks, not because of his views on Israel, his rhetoric etc.

Just think about how war hungry the rest of the Republicans are, being a moderate (Huntsman) makes you look like a pacifist in comparison.

For the person comparing him to Perry. 1. Perry was a war-hawk (Rand isn't) and 2. Perry would have done better if he wasn't a complete disaster in the debates.

Rand is going to come off as a pacifist regardless, especially if a guy like Santorum runs who basically had one hand on a "nuke Iran" button the whole time throughout every debate.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I agree, and Rand needs to say this explicitly, just as his father did. If he can't or won't for political reasons, he's not really any better than Rick Perry...or the rest of the GOP field.
    The same Rick Perry that was pushing to send troops back to Iraq? The Rick Perry comparison is completely silly and you guys are ignoring that he would have done very well if he wasn't a disaster in the debates.

If Rand does go Ron Paul of foreign policy he won't do it during the GOP primaries.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand is going to come off as a pacifist regardless, especially if a guy like Santorum runs who basically had one hand on a "nuke Iran" button the whole time throughout every debate.
    It's all about how you say something, you can mean the same thing but say it differently and you'll get an entirely different reaction. Ron should have pushed his foreign policy message as more of a pro-American foreign policy or something like that.

But you're right Rand will look like the pacifist in comparison to the rest. Hopefully he's smart enough to spin it into a positive instead of a severe negative (in the eyes of the majority of Republican voters).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    For the person comparing him to Perry. 1. Perry was a war-hawk (Rand isn't) and 2. Perry would have done better if he wasn't a complete disaster in the debates.
    Based on what? Rand voted for Iran sanctions and is already distancing himself from Ron's foreign policy. Rand does not want to cut foreign aid to Israel. I think Rick Perry (based on rhetoric) was even more towards Ron Paul than Rand Paul is.

The only good thing Rand Paul is good on is foreign aid, and even Rick Perry seems to be more hardline than he is. Rick Perry didn't even want to give foreign aid to Israel. Rand Paul wants to tour Israel and suck up their leaders. He has already said the he considers Israel a great ally and does not want to cut them out of foreign aid.
    Last edited by Dystopian; 01-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Rand is visiting far more than Israel, and is meeting with leaders from all sides. It's an important trip for him. This, plus being on the foreign relations committee, will give him the experience he needs to run for president. I'm sorry, but I don't think Perry was sincere about anything, he didn't even know half of his own plans.

Rand is visiting far more than Israel, and is meeting with leaders from all sides. It's an important trip for him. This, plus being on the foreign relations committee, will give him the experience he needs to run for president. I'm sorry, but I don't think Perry was sincere about anything, he didn't even know half of his own plans.
    What did Iran do to us that made Rand vote for sanctions (basically an act of war)? Was it his secret meetings with Bill Kristol http://www.theamericanconservative.c...et-rendezvous/ that influenced him?

I checked a DP link and he stated because the sanctions we're directed at Iran's central bank, he voted for them. I don't get all riled up like some do about that vote. He's more than made up for it with floor speeches on foreign aid, detention, fiscal cliff, etc.

http://www.dailypaul.com/217658/rand...iran-sanctions

He knows damn well that those sanctions hurt regular people, not just the central bank. If he's so against central banks, maybe he should be for ending our central bank (a position that he has never taken)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast