Thread: Can an Economics Teacher secretly do stand up comedy on the side?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can an Economics Teacher secretly do stand up comedy on the side?

I've been teaching high school economics for a few years but I want to bring the liberty message to more people. I also want to make more money and pursue my passion and for once actually speak my mind and have fun at the same time. My friends and students always tell me, in different words, that I do an awesome job of explaining how f*cked up the government is in a funny yet easy to understand way. I know I could do this sh*t and I know when the sh*t hits the fan I want to do comedy over teaching considering I don't want to work for the government and I hate the bullsh*t communist method of handing out teacher promotions. I live near New York and I think I could blend in and do comedy under a different name. Could I pull this off? Do I even care?
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    New York State bans stand up by high school economics teachers in their collective bargaining contract with the teachers' union.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    New York State bans stand up by high school economics teachers in their collective bargaining contract with the teachers' union.
    I teach in NJ
    Last edited by Gumba of Liberty; 01-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    I teach in NJ
    Even worse! It's a felony there!

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Even worse! It's a felony there!
    I'll take my chances

Go for it! The world of comedy is a place where the libertarian voice is sadly lacking influence, and stand-up is a wicked fun career (did it for a couple years in my teens). Being an econ teacher is icing on the cake.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

You have to have a sense if humor to teach in Nj (born and bred)
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

A sense of humor that mocks absurdities and hypocrisies is always going to sell. George Carlin and Chris Rock both did it with everything, including politics, no reason why there couldn't be a niche for great economics-centered standup. You're not telling jokes. You're just teaching in way that gets people laughing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Find a small comedy club and find out.

You should find things that work for you and things that don't. Work up an act full of the things that do work...there's that word again!

Do a 5 min. video. Post it with a poll. I'm interested enough to watch and rate.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Do a 5 min. video. Post it with a poll. I'm interested enough to watch and rate.
    ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I'd say your only hang-up would be that anything you say in public could be used against you by your employer...even if they say they wouldn't. So it would be best to not be exceptionaly down on the school system that you work in. I would also refrain from using a lot of bad language. I'm sure your contract has something in it that gives them the ablity to boot you for conduct unbecoming of an employee. But past that do what makes you happy. Life is short. Heck you might find that you're talented enough that you make it in the comedy industry and don't need the teacher job.

Go for it... my favorite art form..
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    - Jimi Hendrix

"If one rejects laissez faire on account of mans fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action."
    - Ludwig Von Mises, Planning for Freedom

I recommend a sledgehammer and some melons or maybe some ventriloquist dummies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

I actually had an economics prof who did stand up on the side.

Www.standupeconomist.com
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬