Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul/Mike Lee 2016

Why Rubio? are you kidding? his entire staff hate Rand and are from the Bush administration.

I don't see Rand picking Rubio or vice versa in any way shape or form.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the power of veep picks to sway votes is somewhat overrated. If Rand is the nominee, he should choose someone that he knows is qualified and that he can work with. Also it'll need to be someone that won't embarass him or his campaign. If the person is also from a swing state or a minority, then he should go ahead and choose that person. It shouldn't be seen as a guarantee that will by itself win swing state or minority votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    I think the power of veep picks to sway votes is somewhat overrated. If Rand is the nominee, he should choose someone that he knows is qualified and that he can work with. Also it'll need to be someone that won't embarass him or his campaign. If the person is also from a swing state or a minority, then he should go ahead and choose that person. It shouldn't be seen as a guarantee that will by itself win swing state or minority votes.
    Qualified...that screams out Demint to me.

No way in hell Rand taps Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Qualified...that screams out Demint to me.

No way in hell Rand taps Rubio.
    I agree. I think Rubio has baggage and that's why even Mitt Romney didn't pick him. Plus, I think it is true that they don't like each other.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    And he's a ****. That will hurt Rand with conservatives.
    Crap did not know that.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

And he's a ****. That will hurt Rand with conservatives.
    A **** sapien?

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    A **** sapien?
    Smart3 will make an other condescending remark towards stupid so-cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Havax View Post
    How can someone who isn't from a state, help win any states?

I don't understand the reasoning behind Rubio either. Jack Hunter is always writing hit-pieces on Rubio accusing him of being a neiconservative, and he's very close to Rand, probably Rand's chief ghostwriter. Rubio has also called the 10 Senate and 87 House Republicans who voted against military intervention in Libya far-right/far-left people and who don't stand for a strong national defense as conservatives should (ironically in interviews with liberal news outlets and speeches at liberal think tanks), evidently directing it most at Rand Paul.

Also, if most Mexicans in New Mexico didn't vote for ethnic Mexican Susana Martinez, do you seriously expect them (and Guatemalans, Nicaraguans and Columbians) to vote for some white Cuban guy on the bottom of the ticket? The best way to get Latino support is not to throw "one of them" on the ticket, but to have a successful Latino outreach programme, as Ron Paul did. People will vote for whoever they perceive to be working in their interests. They are not idiots and are very aware that someone from their own ethnic background (or some other similar ethnic background in the case of Rubio) may not be working in their interests. Hence Republicans must convince Latinos that they are through a successful campaign focusing on things Latinos and conservatives have in common. Otherwise, they will vote Democrat even if the Dems throw two white Southerners on their ticket.
    Last edited by compromise; 01-03-2013 at 04:27 AM.

He would pick whoever will complement the ticket the most. Someone like Luis Fortuno or Martinez seem very possible. I'm just saying Rubio because Rubio is the big favorite over everyone else to get the nomination right now. He's not going to pick Mike Lee or Jim Demint or Justin Amash or anybody like that. The odds of that happening are zero. He's not picking Jim Demint. Jim Demint doesn't help him win swing state and is pretty universally disliked by Republicans and independents. (I like him but what I like doesn't matter.) I think people are basing on what they would like to see happen not what is even in the realm of possibility. Romney's veep choice was someone who at least seemed very different, likewise with Bush I, Bush II (perceived at least) and Reagan.

I'm only saying what I think seems likely. I would love a Rand Paul/Andrew Napolitano ticket. I also realize that everything will have to break in Rand's favor for him to win and he is going to maximize his odds of winning. Just to be in reality he is probably less than 2% to win the Presidency right now. Winning the primary is going to be really tough and winning a general election might even be tougher vs a Cuomo or Hilary candidate.
    Last edited by misean; 01-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    I trust Mike Lee as much as I trust Ted Cruz. I don't.
    Probably as much as you don't look at voting records either.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Havax View Post
    Ineligible.

Fortuño is not eligible to be vice president/president. There is a 14 year US residency requirement to be president (and therefor vice president as well) and Fortuño does not meet it. Puerto Rico does not count as the US for this purpose.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
    An April 2000 report by the Congressional Research Service, asserts that citizens born in Puerto Rico are legally defined as natural born citizens and are therefore eligible to be elected President, provided they meet qualifications of age and 14 years residence within the United States. According to this report, residence in Puerto Rico and U.S. territories and possessions does not qualify as residence within the United States for these purposes.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...f/RL30527.pdf/

Even if Puerto Rico became a state before 2016, he still wouldn't be eligible.

He'd only have the time since Puerto Rico became a state that counts as residency within the US. The time before would still count as residency in an unincorporated (that being the key) territory.

There was talk about Goldwater being ineligible to run for president because he was born in Arizona before it became a state, but he was deemed eligible because the Arizona Territory was an incorporated US territory, as opposed to PR, Guam, and the Virgin Islands, which are unincorporated.

Interestingly, Puerto Rico may be a US possession, but it is an unincorporated territory and therefore the US Constitution does not automatically apply in its entirety in unincorporated territories, something established in the SCOTUS Insular Cases and reaffirmed by Harris v Rosario (1980). As an unincorporated territory, the provisions of the Constitution and in some cases citizenship have been extended onto the people, not the territory itself by extending the protections under the privileges and immunity clause to that territory (extended to Puerto Rico by act of Congress in 1947).

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chris Christie might actually be a good choice too. It would be after he secured the GOP nomination, so the conservatives will still turn out to vote that hate Christie anyway. Christie is against the drug war, and has no public statements about foreign policy, so he could easily just adopt Rand's anti-interventionist rhetoric. By the way, Christie is the ONLY republican besides Ron Paul that I've seen diehard democrats say they could see themselves voting for.

Are you kidding? Christie is a big spending Republican, the budget hole in NJ is growing and he's begging for pork. Plus, he sucks up to Obama.

Also, NJ will never be put in play by a VP pick so it's pointless trying that. They will vote for the Democrat, by 20 points.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Are you kidding? Christie is a big spending Republican, the budget hole in NJ is growing and he's begging for pork. Plus, he sucks up to Obama.

Also, NJ will never be put in play by a VP pick so it's pointless trying that. They will vote for the Democrat, by 20 points.
    Yup.

As far as Republicans go, Christie isn't too bad and would give Rand the best chance of winning. I don't think he has many strong political beliefs and would defend Rand whenever needed. He's also greatly respected by many swing voters, and even Democrats, although I'd imagine the Dems will start hating him again soon enough.
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 01-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.

The VP has to be someone that is not too evil... because in the event Rand somehow miraculously became president. He might have an accident or a crazed gunman that incapacitates him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    As far as Republicans go, Christie isn't too bad and would give Rand the best chance of winning. I don't think he has many strong political beliefs and would defend Rand whenever needed. He's also greatly respected by many swing voters, and even Democrats, although I'd imagine the Dems will start hating him again soon enough.
    Don't be stupid.. Christie is a loud mouth who hails from a state that will vote Democrat by 20 points. The point of a VP pick nowadays is to try and put a swing state in play.

And if he defends Rand like he defended Boehner the other day I think he'd kill the campaign.

Christie pretty much sucked as a campaigner for Romney. I know it's hard to get excited for Romney, but still. And New Jersey will go dem anyway.

What if another hurricane hits and Christie starts campaigning for Cuomo?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good point. Christie is like a rabid dog, he has no sense of loyalty and will just as soon bite you as he would the dems.

Christie is looking out for his own interests. He wouldn't play second fiddle to anyone.

Christie is an unwise choice for a lot of reasons. Best not to go with him.
    Last edited by compromise; 01-04-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Good point. Christie is like a rabid dog, he has no sense of loyalty and will just as soon bite you as he would the dems.
    He's a load mouth idiot desperate to seem "cool" to the NJ Democrat voting crowd.

He's a load mouth idiot desperate to seem "cool" to the NJ Democrat voting crowd.
    NJ Democrats will never vote VPOTUS candidate Christie over POTUS candidates Clinton (Senator from New York) or Cuomo (Governor of New York).

Don't be stupid.. Christie is a loud mouth who hails from a state that will vote Democrat by 20 points. The point of a VP pick nowadays is to try and put a swing state in play.

And if he defends Rand like he defended Boehner the other day I think he'd kill the campaign.
    Christie would help Rand appeal to independents all across the country, and lure in the big money donors. Remember all the millionaires were holding out on sending money to Romney cause they didn't know if Christie would get in the race? He's also not going to turn against his own ticket as someone suggested, cause he'll be in perfect shape to become President in 8 years if his ticket wins.

The point of the VP would be to help Rand win, not to make policy decisions, and the Dems are going to be extremely difficult to beat in 2016 so gotta put our best foot forward here and not risk putting a Democrat in office cause the VP must be ideologically pure. The VP is mostly a figurehead, and will follow whatever policy the President pursues. The majority of voters dislike the "Tea Party" and think it is too conservative, and putting a moderate on the ticket would help immensely.

Also Hispanics are overrated in importance. Except for in Florida, and maybe Nevada, the large majority of swing states have a disproportionate white population, and blacks are the more prevalent minority. And it's hard to imagine the GOP ticket winning Ohio and Virginia and losing Florida, which would be virtually the only situation where Florida would even matter.
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 01-06-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Christie would help Rand appeal to independents all across the country, and lure in the big money donors. Remember all the millionaires were holding out on sending money to Romney cause they didn't know if Christie would get in the race? He's also not going to turn against his own ticket as someone suggested, cause he'll be in perfect shape to become President in 8 years if his ticket wins.
    your dead wrong if you think Christie can help Rand "across the country". Christie is a loud mouth who's style is not appreciated outside New jersey or New york. Maybe he can help Rand there but the GOP nominee is going to lose those states so it;s not much help.

And not turning against his own ticket?? He turned against Romney and Boehner and that's just in the last few months. Christie doesn't care about anyone else but himself. He would be a disaster as a VP pick and it doesn't accomplish anything.

Millionaires held money from Romney? Romney was swimming in money.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.

your dead wrong if you think Christie can help Rand "across the country". Christie is a loud mouth who's style is not appreciated outside New jersey or New york. Maybe he can help Rand there but the GOP nominee is going to lose those states so it;s not much help.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2012/1...ays-85237.html

The polls refute your assertion. Christie is by far the Republican with the most national appeal, at least at the moment.

And not turning against his own ticket?? He turned against Romney and Boehner and that's just in the last few months.
    He would never turn against his own interest, and his interest right now is getting re-elected in a pretty strongly blue state.

Christie doesn't care about anyone else but himself. He would be a disaster as a VP pick and it doesn't accomplish anything.
    Regardless of who he cares about, he would be a strong VP pick.

Millionaires held money from Romney? Romney was swimming in money.
    Yes, they did.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/1...stie-opts-out/

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Christie is not all he's cracked up to be. I guarantee you his style is no good outside his base of New Jersey or New York. Polls right now are just showing that he has name recognition nothing more.

Secondly, what does it accomplish as a VP pick? It will not help Rand in NJ/NY because they're going to vote for the Democrat by 25 points, it's not going to help in swing states where his loud mouth is more likely to get him into trouble and people aren't going to flock to the ticket because a loud mouth big government Republican from New Jersey might be Vice President.

The main consideration for a VP pick is if they can help in a swing state or put a purple state in play where victory or expanding the map is critical in what could be a close election, such states like WI, MI, PA, OH, VA and there are better candidates to do that than the loud mouth Christie.

I don't see why you're a fan of this blustering fool. He just went on TV and denounced Boehner. He toured Sandy victims with Obama but refused to do so with Romney. He ain't a team player and cares only about himself. It's unlikely anyone will be enthused if he's on the ticket.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Home state advantage is strongly overrated. Romney/Ryan still lost by 6 points in Wisconsin. In order for the GOP to win in 2016, they'll need to win Ohio, Virginia, and one of the gray states here: http://www.270towin.com/2012_electio...php?mapid=bCxp.

The reason why I don't consider Florida to be a crucial swing state is that it's almost completely implausible to see the GOP lose Florida while winning Ohio and Virginia, and one of the gray states.

So what VP pick is going to help Rand win one of the gray states and also OH, and VA? Christie should be of significant appeal in libertarian/independent-leaning NH and CO, and get enough of the independents in OH and VA to give Rand the best shot of winning.

What Christie offers is defending Rand from BS charges, making the ticket more palatable to anti-Tea Party independents, and bringing money in while not completely selling out to his base. Christie isn't great on the issues but winning is the most important when the Dems will probably be looking strong in 2016.

Who else would you suggest as options for Rand? The other options either would kill the funding and turn off the anti-Tea Partiers (Lee/Napolitano/Amash/Cuccinelli, Walker etc), or sell out to the neocons (Rubio for example). The only real alternative to Christie seems to be John Kasich, who isn't exactly a liberty guy but could help Paul secure Ohio and one of the other midwest swing states, as his popularity is rebounding.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast