Thread: Question regarding US President protocol with foreign royalty or allies

Question regarding US President protocol with foreign royalty or allies

I found this story on Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/thatcher-paper...012217318.html

To me, the story seems to be portraying the Queen of England as somehow superior or in an implicit position of authority over a US Citizen, specifically, the President (Reagan, in this case). It talks about how the British mindset is that if you get an invitation from her royal majesty, you promptly accept without question. I don't mind that he did accept her invitation and all that, but what I'm wondering is, is this a case of superiority complex on the part of these title of nobility bearing people, or is this a case of protocol between heads of states of allies, regardless of whether royalty is involved or not?

If this is just a matter of protocol between heads of states of allies, regardless of whether or not there's someone with a title of nobility involved or not, then I don't have a significant problem with this issue. However, if this is a case of the British thinking they're somehow above us, maybe we should remind them that we're not their colonies anymore and we don't recognize titles of nobility. The Queen of England is just another average woman to US Americans. Same with kings, queens, emperors, princes, princesses, knights, dukes, earls, counts, etc. of any other country.

I'd like to know from anyone who is well versed with international protocol and relations issues what their take is on this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Neil Desmond; 12-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The is the Queen of the UK, not England.

What can you expect from a Monarch who was born to Reign over her subjects like myself. I wouldn't want to wear uniform outside the Palace or that silly bear skin piece.