Thread: Don't take the plea, Ian Freeman's speeding ticket dropped

Thumbs up Don't take the plea, Ian Freeman's speeding ticket dropped

Speeding Ticket Dropped!
    December 20, 2012 by Ian
    http://freekeene.com/2012/12/20/spee...icket-dropped/

The blog post is a great read. I highly recommend it. You can spend 2-3 minutes reading the story at the link or watch this 6 minute video. The video does a great job telling the story. Great work Ian! Way to clog the courts. My guess is Ian was pulled over on Route 9. I think the speed limits are 10-20 miles per hour too low on that road.

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 12-20-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Fantastic. I love seeing everyday ordinary people use the system to defeat their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
    Fantastic. I love seeing everyday ordinary people use the system to defeat their system.
    Well, with Ian, that isn't exactly the case. He runs Free Keene, Free Talk Live and LRN.FM. He is 1 of the big boys in the liberty movement. It is kinda like if da Collins got out of a ticket. Well, maybe Ian isn't at that level
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Tl;dr the officer didn't appear to trial so it was dismissed. There's no need to read the article or watch the video. This happens sort of frequently. Many times it is in your interest to take the plea deal, you don't always get lucky and have the officer not show to trial.

It's not in the interest of long term success for liberty to take the plea.
    Listen to Free Talk Live interview Ron Paul about Ending the Fed. Plus, you can listen to more great pro-liberty talk radio 24/7 via streaming, your phone, local radio, and free-to-air satellite on LRN.FM, The Liberty Radio Network!

He makes a good point, if everyone went to court it would be overwhelmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    He makes a good point, if everyone went to court it would be overwhelmed.
    Yeah. I agree with Ian. I mean, if you are facing felony charges, that is 1 thing. I think it makes sense for most people to not take the plea for minor charges. I'm glad people like him do things like fight speeding tickets.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I did this twice in my early twenties and won both times.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Great work Ian! Way to clog the courts.

He took up about 30 seconds of the courts time. I don't know if I would really call that clogging the court's time.

Dave Ridley refuses to Take The Plea. The government takes him on. He wins! That's a nice win for the 1st Amendment.

Long story short. The government didn't like Ridley. He was told to stop covering the story of the Vice President visiting Hillsborough County, NH. Ridley agreed and started to slowly walk backwards to his car, as reporters are taught to do. The cops didn't think he was fast enough and arrested him. Ridley fought the charges since he did nothing wrong and likes to fight false charges. The judge ruled in his favor.

The long version of the story played out in 3 videos. You may not need to see both of the 1st 2 videos. Pick either video and watch it.

Here is the video of the judge ruling in Dave Ridley's favor. Dave, thanks for not backing down. You are an inspiration to us all. If only more reporters were like you!

If you really want extra details, here is a 4th video on the case. It is about a pro-liberty law firm making some government workers sound silly on the witness stand. You can also hear the judge get a little mad at some of the pro-liberty people in the audience because they kept whispering whenever something went right for Dave Ridley.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 12-22-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    He took up about 30 seconds of the courts time. I don't know if I would really call that clogging the court's time.
    Had they not dismissed the case, I would have clogged it in trial and that hearing on the speedy trial. The point is to have as many people as possible be willing to go to trial and clog the courts. Then you will see them dismiss more cases and eventually hopefully not bother charging people with these victimless "crimes".

If you want to do what's right for you, that's fine, and totally understandable.

However if you want to do what's right for liberty - don't take the plea.
    Listen to Free Talk Live interview Ron Paul about Ending the Fed. Plus, you can listen to more great pro-liberty talk radio 24/7 via streaming, your phone, local radio, and free-to-air satellite on LRN.FM, The Liberty Radio Network!

I have to wonder if they were going to throw it out anyway, or if they were going to pursue it unless the defendant asked for it to be dismissed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I have to wonder if they were going to throw it out anyway, or if they were going to pursue it unless the defendant asked for it to be dismissed.
    I've been on the receiving end of several traffic tickets, and I have never known ANY state, city or municipality to ever "throw it out anyway." It's all about revenue for the (so-called) authorities, which means no ticket is ever going to be altruistically thrown out.

If everyone, every time, fought these things tooth and nail instead of rolling over and giving in, the profit to the state would evaporate.

Ian is right. The only real choice is to contest these things.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Ian is right. The only real choice is to contest these things.
    The best choice is to move together with other liberty lovers here in NH and contest them here, where activists are actually having an impact.

http://freestateproject.org

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    He took up way more time. There was correspondence back and worth. It is explained in the blog. Same thing with the Dave Ridley case. The Ridley case even had a lawyer arguing points and took more than 1 day.

Clogging the courts means less state troopers are giving speeding tickets, less town cops are giving speeding tickets, less prosecutors are doing needless things, the court staff has to postpone victimless trails and so on. BTW, I don't support speeding as long as the road has a reasonable speed. I think the speed on that section of the road for Ian was 55 MPH. Safely, it could have been 75MPH, depending on the conditions. I beleive it was daytime and not raining. So, unless Ian was going over 5 MPH over 75 MPH (so 81 MPH or more), he shouldn't have been ticketed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Much respect to anyone who fights it in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    He took up way more time. There was correspondence back and worth. It is explained in the blog.
    I took up a small amount of court time, but more of the trooper's time since she had to reply to my motion to dismiss. Had the case moved forward rather than be dismissed, then one could say I took up some court time.

Here is another. This took up a bunch of court time before the trial. Then, there was the trial. Another victory! This time in Concord, New Hampshire.

No-finding Verdict in Bicycle Headlamp Trial
    December 21, 2012 by Free Concord
    http://freekeene.com/2012/12/21/no-f...eadlamp-trial/

I recommend clicking on the link above to read the post. There are 13 links in the post. None of the links are copied below.

It comes as a modest victory that the case of State v Garret Ean, relative to a bicycle headlamp violation dating back to June 2011, was closed without a guilty finding on December 18. Judge M. Kristin Spath issued the order which I received on the 20th stating that, “The court is using its discretion pursuant to RSA 262:42 and placing this complaint on file without a finding for a period of six months…” This ‘neither guilty nor not-guilty’ ruling is a legislative creation for New Hampshire courts which reads, “A complaint against a person…may be placed on file at the discretion of the court, if the violation appears to have been unintentional, or if no person or property could have been endangered thereby.” This provision applies most to the ambiguous motor vehicle statutes and some other infractions that do not fall under the more straightforward criminal code. While I complete a summary article on the entire court performance, here is a brief history of the case chronicled with court documents.

The first court appearance I had for this incident was in September 2011, when I received discovery from the state and traded with them my evidence and witness list. The case was continued a number of times while my witness was traveling. When a date of late September 2012 was set for the trial, I was concerned that my witness may not have returned to New Hampshire by this time. Before I had a chance to file another continuance request, I received one from the state’s attorney Heather Flanner, which requested the trial be moved to a date later than October 25. I did not object to the continuance, but apparently it must have been withdrawn by the prosecution, because on September 28, I received a Notice of Fine from the court, claiming that I had been found guilty in abstentia for a trial date that I had missed on September 25. Because of this, the non-guilty finding is all the more an accomplishment as a guilty verdict and fine were imposed by the court previously. On October 4, I typed up and sent out a motion for reconsideration. I received the state’s objection(1,2) to my reconsideration motion the following week. Humorously, the same attorney who had signed the request for continuance beyond October 25 signed the motion that I be found guilty for failing to appear in September. Fortunately, the presiding judge rejected the state’s objection and signified that my motion was granted when I received notice that the trial date had been rescheduled for December 11. Finally, on December 20, I received what should be the final two pieces of paper(1,2) on the subject.

Awesome.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Ian just had another charge dropped. The charge was dropped because it was unconstitutional. Go Ian!

Cheshire Sheriff’s No-Trespass Orders Ruled Unconstitutional
    March 6, 2013 by Ian
    http://freekeene.com/2013/03/06/burk...ase-dismissed/

...Shortly thereafter, heroic free-speech attorney Jon Meyer stepped forward to take the case on principle and pro-bono. In a hearing held regarding the validity of the no trespass order, Meyer had Sheriff Dick Foote on the ropes. That raw video is long (and entertaining in many parts), but for those with less time, Meyer also summarized Foote’s ridiculous claims regarding the order in post-hearing memorandums, which you can read here.

Now, several months after that hearing, Keene district court’s judge Edward Burke has made the right decision. He has ruled in an order that the no-trespass orders, as applied to me and Kelly Voluntaryist, are unconstitutional and dismissed the cases against us!...

See the rest of the article. http://freekeene.com/2013/03/06/burk...ase-dismissed/

Great news relating to the previous post!

Sheriff Rivera Withdraws Unconstitutional No Trespass Orders
    March 23, 2013 by Ian
    http://freekeene.com/2013/03/23/sher...espass-orders/

Newly elected sheriff Eli Rivera has done the right thing and withdrawn all the no trespass orders that were issued by his predecessor, Dick Foote. As you may recall, the orders were recently ruled unconstitutional by Keene district court judge Ed Burke.
    After Burke’s ruling, on behalf of all those issued the letters, I wrote to Eli requesting he officially rescind the unconstitutional orders and issue an apology to the activists whose rights have been trampled by these illegal orders. I also asked him to issue a proclamation that his agents will respect the rights of those who wish to access the courts and that media will no longer be threatened for recording in the court lobby.
    To his credit, Eli did quickly issue an official letter rescinding the no-trespass orders, though he was confused about them and totally unaware of their issuance to Pete, Talley, and Beau. However, the letter included no apology or proclamation. You can read it yourself here.

This is serious folks.