Thread: Kamchatka Russia, Volcanic Eruption: "dormant since 1970's"

Kamchatka Russia, Volcanic Eruption: "dormant since 1970's"

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137518n

Video at link. Sorry all I have at the moment.

---------------------------------------------
    meh... I thought it just happened... buggin'

been erupting since November:

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012...1341355950636/
    Lava flows up to 10 miles long have spewed from two fissures on the volcano's slopes, officials said.

Last edited by presence; 12-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    maybe it'll blow up a landmass the size of texas and cover the earth in nuclear winter for decades to come.

end of world is nigh.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Is that on the ring of fire? I understand that is becoming active. Living in California, I care.

Last edited by sailingaway; 12-20-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

those volcanoes are probably closer to cali than Moscow.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

In geological time, being dormant for 35 years is not a very long time at all. Since it seems to be releasing pressures fairly often it would not seem that it would be building up to anything cataclysmic.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/waterco...Volcano-Erupts
    Russia-- An erupting volcano in Russia's Far East has drawn crowds of thrill-seeking tourists, eager to see the clouds of ash, lava flows, and smoking rocks for themselves. The Kamchatka Plosky Tolbachik volcano eruption sent clouds of ash into the skies of Russia.

(Reuters)-- Plosky Tolbachik, dormant for close to 40 years, has recently erupted, spewing clouds of ash up to 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) into the air, and spilling hot lava down its flanks. The volcano, which is located in Russia's Kamchatka region, erupted in an unusual way - the lava and ash flowed not out of its main crater, but from the volcano's sides.

The molten rock from Plosky Tolbachik destroyed a nearby recreational base, and set fire to a forest within the volcano's close vicinity. According to Russian media reports, however, there were no casualties from the eruption. The erupting volcano, which would be considered a natural disaster by much of the world, has become a tourist attraction in this corner of Russia's Far East. Some tourists have approached the flowing lava to have their pictures taken on a background of molten rock and burning trees. Other tourist groups have organized outings with off-road vehicles delivering tourists to the base of fresh ash and rock deposits from the eruption. According to Sergei Alexeyev, the director of one tourist company, Plosky Tolbachik is a unique opportunity for people to see a volcano eruption first-hand. "Thirty-six years ago Kamchatka residents and other Russian - at that time Soviet - residents could observe such an eruption. On the territory of the Kamchatka Peninsula and in Russia in general there probably are no more such places where you can approach and directly look at the volcano crater where the lava is coming from, where the ash is erupting from. Yes, I think it is a unique thing," Alexeyev said. Tourists who made the trip to observe the eruption aftermath said they had no regrets about approaching the smoking volcano. "We have certainly not expected to see something like this, we saw from a distance how it was flowing, but this view now is no less impressive, we are simply shocked," tourist Igor Poluektov said. "It was worth doing it, it's marvelous, incredibly beautiful, you can't express it with words, you should just see it, feel it, touch it with your own hands, it's just great," another tourist, Maria Sokolova said. The tourists, who ignore warning signs, and the danger of shifting lava, and hot falling rocks, are willing to travel long distances and pay top prices to see the volcano.

It is a ten-hour car ride from the nearest settlement to Plosky Tolbachik's slopes. The trip costs some 20,000 rubles (about 650 dollars) for locals, and up to about 30,000 rubles (close to 1000 dollars) for Moscow tourists. The last time Plosky Tolbachik erupted, it was active for 5 months, but it is unknown how long its current eruption will last.

Saw that on the news yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Is that on the ring of fire? I understand that is becoming active. Living in California, I care.

Seems like Kamchatka is to the north of that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Seems like Kamchatka is to the north of that.
    the volcano could be on the ring of fire according to the map. that peninsula seems to be the edge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    the volcano could be on the ring of fire according to the map. that peninsula seems to be the edge of it.
    Yeah, now I see that.

i thought that was just $hity vodKA GALLON style...

they make it volcano size now?

Youtube or it didn't happen.

Can't look for yourself? That's OK.

I hope this doesn't screw with my game of 'Risk.'

I hope the engines in the vehicles carrying those tourists on that 20 hour round trip have descent air filters,especially in wintertime.