Thread: Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits

Down to -50C: Russians freeze to death as strongest-in-decades winter hits

RIA Novosti / Yakov Andreev

Russia is enduring its harshest winter in over 70 years, with temperatures plunging as low as -50 degrees Celsius. Dozens of people have already died, and almost 150 have been hospitalized.
    *The country has not witnessed such a long cold spell since 1938, meteorologists said, with temperatures 10 to 15 degrees lower than the seasonal norm all over Russia.
    Across the country, 45 people have died due to the cold, and 266 have been taken to hospitals. In total, 542 people were injured due to the freezing temperatures, RIA Novosti reported.

The Moscow region saw temperatures of -17 to -18 degrees Celsius on Wednesday, and the record cold temperatures are expected to linger for at least three more days. Thermometers in Siberia touched -50 degrees Celsius, which is also abnormal for December.

RIA Novosti / Aleksey Malgavko

*The Emergency Ministry has issued warnings in 15 regions, which have been put on high alert over possible disruptions of communication and power.

Across the country, heat pipelines have broken down due to the cold. In southeastern Russia’s Samara, the cold has broken down many heat pipelines, leaving hundreds of homes without heating, including an orphanage and a rest house. Many schools and kindergartens have been closed for almost a week.
    The cold spell, along with snowfalls, has disrupted flights all over the country, and led to huge traffic jams. In the southern city of Rostov-on-Don some highways were closed due to snowfalls over the past two days, triggering a traffic collapse.
    http://rt.com/news/russia-freeze-cold-temperature-379/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Climate change.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I hope the heating problem is resolved soon or the weather gets better. God knows freezing your ass to death will be a horrible way to die

Oh frigging BRRRRRRR!!!!

Will the Russian ManBearPig survive?
    Last edited by Origanalist; 12-20-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

My cousin lives in Fort Yukon Alaska, it is very cold there too. At this minute the low is -51 F and the average low for this time of year is around -20 F
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Somebody should get that poor puppy in the house so he can warm up.

Krokodil, the bad driving, and apparently 15 degrees colder than the usual Russian cold, I appreciate being an American.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Somebody should get that poor puppy in the house so he can warm up.
    My first thought too! Get that effing dog in!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    My first thought too! Get that effing dog in!
    Yeah, he looks cold and like he would like somebody to hold him on their lap.

Bah, most of the fatalities probably are drunks that pass out on the way home. Good riddance. And of course, one can't pass up this oportunity to scream GLOBAL WARMING! when it should be.

It always rains after a dry spell...

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Climate change.
    Coldest since 1938, it says. And year before last, the Great Plains had the hottest summer since 1936. Which tells me that extreme cold and extreme heat go together (a phenomenon I've seen several times, the winter of '79-'80 followed by the summer of '80 being the one that sticks in my own memory), and that this is all cyclical.

I'm not saying that our actions could have no effect. I'm just looking at all the factors I can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Coldest since 1938, it says. And year before last, the Great Plains had the hottest summer since 1936. Which tells me that extreme cold and extreme heat go together (a phenomenon I've seen several times, the winter of '79-'80 followed by the summer of '80 being the one that sticks in my own memory), and that this is all cyclical.

I'm not saying that our actions could have no effect. I'm just looking at all the factors I can find.
    I agree