Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Buying silver...

  1. #1

    Default Buying silver...

    I did a search and came across this site and it was mentioned that Ebay is a great place to buy silver... but the silver on ebay is selling arround 38 to 40 a oz... that's 7 to 9 dollars over spot... Am I missing something?



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Member Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    19,518

    Default

    Ebay is usually not a good place to buy silver, imo.

  4. #3

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    try apmex.com

  6. #5
    Member Cleaner44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Citizen of Arizona
    Posts
    6,083
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Try a local store where there does not need to be a trail of your purchases.
    U.S. Air Force Veteran
    @cleaner4d4

    I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    E bay is quite terrible unless you are a collector looking for a specific item you cannot find somewhere else , find a local shop , if all else fails look at the major services , two of which were just listed .

  8. #7
    Member sgt150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Shitsville, Terrorworld
    Posts
    3,828
    Join the Michigan Tenth Amendment Center & defend liberty by nullifying the Feds in your community:

    http://michigan.tenthamendmentcenter.com

    Follow the progress of the liberty and tea party movements in the Motor City at The Detroit Constitutionalist:

    http://detroitcon.blogspot.com/

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    My guy today , had Silver Eagles for $36 , instead, for $34 total , I bought a 1927 Peace Dollar in Extra Fine and an 1899 dime in Very Good,plus, with some mint luster. I was pleased.

  10. #9

    Default

    I dont have enough time to lay out whats happening and im on my iphone but for the love of christ go buy now now now! The cartel is desperate as hell and theyve been killing the metals hard since qe4 was announced. Go to kitcos silver forum and read some math guys thread on the price breakdown and smash. The next two weeks is it! Buy while they crash it!
    It's just an opinion... man...

  11. #10

    Default

    Under $30. Merry Christmas stackers!
    My 2016 prediction: Hillary Clinton will NOT run for president.

    Rand Paul 2016

  12. #11

    Default

    i use providentmetals.com
    They are cheaper than apmex and low shipping costs compared to apmex. A bit smaller variety of products(mainly numismatic) than apmex though.

    but yeah I bought my first sovereign from provident yesterday and the price is collapsing on cue the day after my purchase.

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigonx View Post
    i use providentmetals.com
    They are cheaper than apmex and low shipping costs compared to apmex. A bit smaller variety of products(mainly numismatic) than apmex though.

    but yeah I bought my first sovereign from provident yesterday and the price is collapsing on cue the day after my purchase.
    So it's YOUR fault!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

    "Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

    "Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

  14. #13

    Default

    Craigslist works fine for me, buying or selling.

  15. #14

    Default

    It's a crapshoot these days with the silver market so broken and volatile. Just look for lowest premiums and buy on a set schedule to take advantage of market fluctuations. Physical silver is such a volatile market and premiums are starting to get out of hand (paper price is slowly disconnecting from physical price). Id only go with reputable dealers and/or local coin shops. Ebay is full of scams, fakes and overpriced stuff.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    Internet shills exposed: (Yes, there are plenty on RPF)
    http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2012/10/...eyre-real.html

    Why most RPF members are against the US involvement with Israel explained by Mini-Me:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=218093
    No anti-semitism, just logic.

    Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks Fishing Boat Rentals

  16. #15

    Default

    I just sold $77 face for 19x spot...was hoping for 21 but that what I get for not having patience

    Go to a local coin shop..buy junk silver (pre 1964 dimes-quarters-halves) for around 20x face value.

    Conflation.com will tell you what the market price is

    Editnly sold to buy ar15-mags-ammo
    Last edited by TomtheTinker; 12-20-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." óJeff Cooper

    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

  17. #16

    Default

    I had good luck with Provident Metals, they even have Ron Paul pieces on there.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    this space for rent

  18. #17

    Default

    I'm interested in buying Silver since the price is so low and this seems to perhaps be the end of a bear market for metals. Has anyone ever bought silver from Lear Capital? When I looked at their website their American Silver Eagle coins were $5 over the spot price, which seems high. I looked at Provident Metals and their American Silver Eagle Coins are about $4 over spot price and only about $3 over spot price if you buy large amounts of it. Has anyone ever bought metals from Lear Capital? Do they just charge more than most bullion dealers?
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  19. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I'm interested in buying Silver since the price is so low and this seems to perhaps be the end of a bear market for metals. Has anyone ever bought silver from Lear Capital? When I looked at their website their American Silver Eagle coins were $5 over the spot price, which seems high. I looked at Provident Metals and their American Silver Eagle Coins are about $4 over spot price and only about $3 over spot price if you buy large amounts of it. Has anyone ever bought metals from Lear Capital? Do they just charge more than most bullion dealers?
    That is more than my local coin shop , less than my local pawn shop . I do not buy Eagles on line.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That is more than my local coin shop , less than my local pawn shop . I do not buy Eagles on line.
    It seems to me like buying it online is smarter because I'll avoid paying a sales tax. I think I would have to pay a sales tax on Eagles if I bought them somewhere in Kansas where I live.
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  21. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    It seems to me like buying it online is smarter because I'll avoid paying a sales tax. I think I would have to pay a sales tax on Eagles if I bought them somewhere in Kansas where I live.
    I see your point, but there will be shipping ? Or do you get free shipping if you take enough ? I have never seen any prices that are better than my local coin dealer will do for me , how much is your tax percentagein Ks?

  22. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I see your point, but there will be shipping ? Or do you get free shipping if you take enough ? I have never seen any prices that are better than my local coin dealer will do for me , how much is your tax percentagein Ks?
    I think it's 6.3%. The shipping rates that I'm looking at on provident metals aren't very high. The highest shipping rate is $25 if you buy at least $5,000 worth of silver.
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  23. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I think it's 6.3%. The shipping rates that I'm looking at on provident metals aren't very high. The highest shipping rate is $25 if you buy at least $5,000 worth of silver.
    Sounds like the way to go then unless you can beat the price local by 7 % or so , hell for 5K they should pay the shipping.

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Sounds like the way to go then unless you can beat the price local by 7 % or so , hell for 5K they should pay the shipping.
    Their shipping costs actually go up the more you buy for some reason.
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  25. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Their shipping costs actually go up the more you buy for some reason.
    Insurance cost, probably.

  26. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    Any of you buy anything from me in the future ( metals ) , anything over $150 , I would pay shipping & insurance .

  27. #26

    Default

    Two more questions:

    1) Will American Silver Eagles Tarnish over time?
    2) If they do tarnish, will that reduce their value?
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  28. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Two more questions:

    1) Will American Silver Eagles Tarnish over time?
    2) If they do tarnish, will that reduce their value?
    Anything silver will tarnish if not sealed. No, it does not reduce the value. In fact, cleaning tarnish from older silver items is generally considered a faux pas.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    Internet shills exposed: (Yes, there are plenty on RPF)
    http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2012/10/...eyre-real.html

    Why most RPF members are against the US involvement with Israel explained by Mini-Me:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=218093
    No anti-semitism, just logic.

    Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks Fishing Boat Rentals

  29. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Land of Indians
    Posts
    26,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Two more questions:

    1) Will American Silver Eagles Tarnish over time?
    2) If they do tarnish, will that reduce their value?
    If you do not touch them with oily skin , it is not really tarnish , it is called toning, toning does not reduce value , never clean a coin .






« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •