Thread: Buying silver...

Buying silver...

I did a search and came across this site and it was mentioned that Ebay is a great place to buy silver... but the silver on ebay is selling arround 38 to 40 a oz... that's 7 to 9 dollars over spot... Am I missing something?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ebay is usually not a good place to buy silver, imo.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Try a local store where there does not need to be a trail of your purchases.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

E bay is quite terrible unless you are a collector looking for a specific item you cannot find somewhere else , find a local shop , if all else fails look at the major services , two of which were just listed .

My guy today , had Silver Eagles for $36 , instead, for $34 total , I bought a 1927 Peace Dollar in Extra Fine and an 1899 dime in Very Good,plus, with some mint luster. I was pleased.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dont have enough time to lay out whats happening and im on my iphone but for the love of christ go buy now now now! The cartel is desperate as hell and theyve been killing the metals hard since qe4 was announced. Go to kitcos silver forum and read some math guys thread on the price breakdown and smash. The next two weeks is it! Buy while they crash it!
    It's just an opinion... man...

Under $30. Merry Christmas stackers!
    Rand Paul 2016

i use providentmetals.com
    They are cheaper than apmex and low shipping costs compared to apmex. A bit smaller variety of products(mainly numismatic) than apmex though.

but yeah I bought my first sovereign from provident yesterday and the price is collapsing on cue the day after my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigonx View Post
    i use providentmetals.com
    They are cheaper than apmex and low shipping costs compared to apmex. A bit smaller variety of products(mainly numismatic) than apmex though.

but yeah I bought my first sovereign from provident yesterday and the price is collapsing on cue the day after my purchase.
    So it's YOUR fault!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Banned

Blog Entries
    Craigslist works fine for me, buying or selling.

It's a crapshoot these days with the silver market so broken and volatile. Just look for lowest premiums and buy on a set schedule to take advantage of market fluctuations. Physical silver is such a volatile market and premiums are starting to get out of hand (paper price is slowly disconnecting from physical price). Id only go with reputable dealers and/or local coin shops. Ebay is full of scams, fakes and overpriced stuff.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I just sold $77 face for 19x spot...was hoping for 21 but that what I get for not having patience

Go to a local coin shop..buy junk silver (pre 1964 dimes-quarters-halves) for around 20x face value.

Conflation.com will tell you what the market price is

Editnly sold to buy ar15-mags-ammo
    Last edited by TomtheTinker; 12-20-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I had good luck with Provident Metals, they even have Ron Paul pieces on there.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm interested in buying Silver since the price is so low and this seems to perhaps be the end of a bear market for metals. Has anyone ever bought silver from Lear Capital? When I looked at their website their American Silver Eagle coins were $5 over the spot price, which seems high. I looked at Provident Metals and their American Silver Eagle Coins are about $4 over spot price and only about $3 over spot price if you buy large amounts of it. Has anyone ever bought metals from Lear Capital? Do they just charge more than most bullion dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I'm interested in buying Silver since the price is so low and this seems to perhaps be the end of a bear market for metals. Has anyone ever bought silver from Lear Capital? When I looked at their website their American Silver Eagle coins were $5 over the spot price, which seems high. I looked at Provident Metals and their American Silver Eagle Coins are about $4 over spot price and only about $3 over spot price if you buy large amounts of it. Has anyone ever bought metals from Lear Capital? Do they just charge more than most bullion dealers?
    That is more than my local coin shop , less than my local pawn shop . I do not buy Eagles on line.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That is more than my local coin shop , less than my local pawn shop . I do not buy Eagles on line.
    It seems to me like buying it online is smarter because I'll avoid paying a sales tax. I think I would have to pay a sales tax on Eagles if I bought them somewhere in Kansas where I live.

It seems to me like buying it online is smarter because I'll avoid paying a sales tax. I think I would have to pay a sales tax on Eagles if I bought them somewhere in Kansas where I live.
    I see your point, but there will be shipping ? Or do you get free shipping if you take enough ? I have never seen any prices that are better than my local coin dealer will do for me , how much is your tax percentagein Ks?

I see your point, but there will be shipping ? Or do you get free shipping if you take enough ? I have never seen any prices that are better than my local coin dealer will do for me , how much is your tax percentagein Ks?
    I think it's 6.3%. The shipping rates that I'm looking at on provident metals aren't very high. The highest shipping rate is $25 if you buy at least $5,000 worth of silver.

I think it's 6.3%. The shipping rates that I'm looking at on provident metals aren't very high. The highest shipping rate is $25 if you buy at least $5,000 worth of silver.
    Sounds like the way to go then unless you can beat the price local by 7 % or so , hell for 5K they should pay the shipping.

Sounds like the way to go then unless you can beat the price local by 7 % or so , hell for 5K they should pay the shipping.
    Their shipping costs actually go up the more you buy for some reason.

Their shipping costs actually go up the more you buy for some reason.
    Insurance cost, probably.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any of you buy anything from me in the future ( metals ) , anything over $150 , I would pay shipping & insurance .

Two more questions:

1) Will American Silver Eagles Tarnish over time?
    2) If they do tarnish, will that reduce their value?

Two more questions:

Anything silver will tarnish if not sealed. No, it does not reduce the value. In fact, cleaning tarnish from older silver items is generally considered a faux pas.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Two more questions:

If you do not touch them with oily skin , it is not really tarnish , it is called toning, toning does not reduce value , never clean a coin .