Thread: $100 silver coin, buy for $100 !

$100 silver coin, buy for $100 !

I thought that this seems to be a good deal in sound money

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/coin-p...1#.UZVftnz-DgJ
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a one ounce coin made of pure silver. One hundred dollars for a face value seems pretty high.

If only you could buy maples for $5
    "What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    If only you could buy maples for $5
    Or better yet, a silver dollar from the United States Mint for one dollar.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 05-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.

At least it's higher value than the material it's made from. It cracks me up to hold a 1/10oz American Liberty gold with a $5 face value or a 1 oz American Buffalo with a $50. I'd gladly buy those for 10 times their face!
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

maybe it's just me - but I have to stop and ask myself why the royal canadian mint would up the value of a 1 oz. coin from the standard $5 (maples) to $100. why would they do that and what does it portend ?

If this is 1 oz of silver, then the value is inflated arbitrarily... Until the value of silver goes up to match the face value, it's like hybrid real money/fiat currency.
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlinDave View Post
    If this is 1 oz of silver, then the value is inflated arbitrarily... Until the value of silver goes up to match the face value, it's like hybrid real money/fiat currency.
    I see your point , but at least it is not wothless paper , backed by nothing .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-19-2013 at 09:58 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    maybe it's just me - but I have to stop and ask myself why the royal canadian mint would up the value of a 1 oz. coin from the standard $5 (maples) to $100. why would they do that and what does it portend ?
    I dunno , they do some odd stuff , but beautiful coins .I have a $20 9999 silver polar bear somewhere, that I gave less than $20 for.I have a 1981 Silver Canadian dollar here, that contains only about.380 ounce of silver and the issue price on it then , I think , is more than todays silver value .Beautiful coins though , probably the nicest minted stuff in the world.....

I will also say this , they are pretty wise with this stuff and the small denomination gold , minting very limited quantities and it sells out.

It's a pretty safe long term hedge for those who think fiat currencies are all going to go the way of Zimbabwe.

Its legal tender worth is equal to C$100. So the win/lose equation for the buyer is the future value of C$100 (since you earn no interest on the coni) versus the Canadian dollar being devalued by around 80% in terms of silver.

The mint, of course, make exorbitant profit off of seignorage.

In other words, the Canadian mint are still counterfeiters to a large degree!
    Last edited by jon_perez; 05-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I see your point , but at least it is not wothless paper , backed by nothing .
    True, definitely still better than paper money!
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by jon_perez View Post
    It's a pretty safe long term hedge for those who think fiat currencies are all going to go the way of Zimbabwe.

Its legal tender worth is equal to C$100. So the win/lose equation for the buyer is the future value of C$100 (since you earn no interest on the coni) versus the Canadian dollar being devalued by around 80% in terms of silver.

The mint, of course, make exorbitant profit off of seignorage.

In other words, the Canadian mint are still counterfeiters to a large degree!
    Yeah in a true dollars & cents world , but we do not live in that world, I can take the Maple L's I bought last summer @ $26 , and put them on e bay , now , and make a substantial percentage off of them , easily
    Not that I would ...... check out the 2011 gold Cougar , 1/2 gram, probably , issue price was twice the cost of that. Probably still goes for the sameprice , they make , only 15,000 ea yr.Look at what US gold dollars ( 1850's) go for .....