Thread: Utah boy charged with bringing gun to school, cites fears of Newtown attack

Utah boy charged with bringing gun to school, cites fears of Newtown attack

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - An 11-year-old Utah boy who said he brought a gun to school to protect himself from a Newtown-style attack, then brandished the pistol at three classmates during recess, has been detained on assault and weapons charges, a school spokesman said on Tuesday.

The boy, a Utah sixth-grader, took the unloaded .22-caliber handgun to his school south of Salt Lake City in his backpack on Monday, a spokesman for the Granite School District said.

Some ammunition was also found in the backpack, but it did not appear to go with the gun, said the spokesman, Ben Horsley.

No one was injured in the incident, which occurred as jittery parents, teachers and students around the country faced their first day back at school since 20 children and six adult staffers at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, were shot to death by a lone gunman last Friday.

The 11-year-old student at Utah's West Kearns Elementary, who was not publicly identified, has insisted he brought the gun to school to "protect himself and his friends from a Connecticut-style incident," Horsley said.

However, the boy is accused of waving the gun at three classmates on a soccer field during recess. Later on Monday, one of those students and a second classmate alerted their teacher, who "immediately took the student into custody and took him down to the principal's office," Horsley said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/utah-boy-charg...023430546.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

LOL

Smart kid, maybe.

Well, his life is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL

Smart kid, maybe.

Well, his life is over.
    I was going to say that as well, seeing as that the media has whipped up such a frenzy I'm surprised this is the first kid scared enough to do it. But to bring it out and wave it around at other students? That's a complete parenting fail right there.

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    I was going to say that as well, seeing as that the media has whipped up such a frenzy I'm surprised this is the first kid scared enough to do it. But to bring it out and wave it around at other students? That's a complete parenting fail right there.
    11 year old boys do dumb $#@!.

There is no room in this vagina-centric society for that sort of nonsense anymore.

So, into prison he'll go.

Kid thinks he lives in a free country. haha.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    Kid thinks he lives in a free country. haha.

"Free Country"

I don't intend to imply that all children are given equal self-defense instruction by their parents, or that it is 'wise' for parents to leave young children home alone:

10 years old:

As a gun owner myself, who admittedly has no children (so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about), I would encourage any of you who have guns in the home (not as a gov't official ordering you what to do, but as a simple plea from one concerned citizen to another) to spend time exposing your children to firearms safety and proper usage at an early age.

11:

14 years old:

14 years old:

15:

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    11:

12 years old:

Follow up to previous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPfz7...layer_embedded
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 12-19-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I'm all for children being brought in on firearm safety classes and learning about firearms as early as possible, for the very reasons in the vids above. And AF, I agree that kids do dumb $#@!, I have a 14 yr old that reminds me of that daily, but waving a firearm in school is on another level really. That to me is a dad or mom that didn't instill the proper respect of firearms into their child. Had this kid not done that, I would be fully in his corner, and putting every ounce of blame on the media. Which they do hold the lion's share even still, but I can't defend him bringing it out to impress his friends.

I'm all for children being brought in on firearm safety classes and learning about firearms as early as possible, for the very reasons in the vids above. And AF, I agree that kids do dumb $#@!, I have a 14 yr old that reminds me of that daily, but waving a firearm in school is on another level really. That to me is a dad or mom that didn't instill the proper respect of firearms into their child. Had this kid not done that, I would be fully in his corner, and putting every ounce of blame on the media. Which they do hold the lion's share even still, but I can't defend him bringing it out to impress his friends.
    True.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    True.
    Well, he did apparently carry the wrong ammo too...

Put yourself in the mind of a child. His household was bombarded with an endless real life horror story about children his age being murdered at their school. He wasnt about to let the same thing happen to him or his school, but he got carried away and liked the attention. Would I approve of his actions as a parent? Hell no.
    Last edited by AGRP; 12-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.

AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    11:

12 years old:

Follow up to previous:
    Children used to be treated like adults and it made sense to an extent. They also used to drive cars and work. Just because theyre below 18 doesnt mean they are babies. I remember hating it that people didnt think i could handle certain responsibilities as a kid.
    Last edited by AGRP; 12-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.

***Honorable Mentions***
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    Put yourself in the mind of a child. His household was bombarded with an endless real life horror story about children his age being murdered at their school. He wasnt about to let the same thing happen to him or his school, but he got carried away and liked the attention. Would I approve of his actions as a parent? Hell no.
    You misunderstand me. I fully support where that kid's head and heart was at. He has been scared $#@!less for the last couple days by every freakin media personality on tv over this. My issue is that his parents clearly didn't ever provide this boy with any type of firearm safety lessons, or very little info on firearms in general, if any at all. He not only brought it out and waved it around, he didn't even bring the right ammo, so he clearly doesn't even know the first things you should know about firearms if you're going to have them in a home.

I don't blame this boy, not in the least. I blame the media for his sense of need to bring this to school, and I blame his parents for not teaching him about firearms if they are going to have them in the home.
    Last edited by belian78; 12-20-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling

You misunderstand me. I fully support where that kid's head and heart was at. He has been scared $#@!less for the last couple days by every freakin media personality on tv over this. My issue is that his parents clearly didn't ever provide this boy with any type of firearm safety lessons, or very little info on firearms in general, if any at all. He not only brought it out and waved it around, he didn't even bring the right ammo, so he clearly doesn't even know the first things you should know about firearms if you're going to have them in a home.

I don't blame this boy, not in the least. I blame the media for his sense of need to bring this to school, and I blame his parents for not teaching him about firearms if they are going to have them in the home.
    Agreed. Its better not to have the gun at all since the child treated it like he did. Probably the worst combination possible.

***Honorable Mentions***
    RandRevolution

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.