Thread: GOP Bars Ron Paul Supporter from Serving as State Committeeman

GOP Bars Ron Paul Supporter from Serving as State Committeeman

The quote attributed to me about supporting Obama in this article is not mine. It was from an article written by someone else that I forwarded. I have asked Matt Dixon to print a correction. I have NEVER supported candidate Obama or President Obama in an election. This appears to be just another attempt by the RPOF leadership to marginalize and discredit anyone who they cannot "control".

Link to Article

GOP bars Paul supporter from serving as committeeman
    Stevens kicked out for four years after urging vote for Obama over McCain

Posted: December 11, 2012 - 10:56pm

By Matt Dixon

Record Tallahassee Bureau

Stevens kicked out for four years after endorsing Obama in 2008

TALLAHASSEE — John Stevens won his St. Johns County election to serve as a Republican state committeeman. Now he’s considering suing the state party because, he says, it won’t let him take office.

The reason? It’s because of a four-year-old grudge, he says.

“My opinion is that in order for us to save America, [Barack] Obama has to win,” wrote Stevens, who was a precinct committeeman, in an October 2008 email to an undisclosed recipient.

“If McCain wins, then those who consider themselves to be ‘conservatives’ will be lulled back to sleep,” he added.

That public opposition was at odds with party rules that all elected members agree to follow. As a result, party boss Jim Greer slapped Stevens with a four year suspension.

Greer has since been booted from the state GOP and is facing felony fraud charges related to funneling party money to a fundraising firm he started.

In August, Stevens won a three-way race for St. Johns County Republican state committeeman, but was told by party officials he does “not meet the qualifications” to be seated because of his suspension, which has another eight months to run.

The second-place finisher in the Republican state committeeman race, Randy Covington, had also been suspended for breaking party rules. Consequently, that post went to the third-place finisher, Bob Veit, a former Marine and long-time member of the Republican Executive Committee.

Stevens believes the decision against him is RPOF Chairman Lenny Curry’s attempt to purge the party of dissenting voices.

“In my mind, it comes down to the party wanting to control the message and who can be in the party,” Stevens said.

He said he believed there was “no way they would cite a Greer ruling to overrule the voters.”

But party officials ruled that Stevens broke the rules and must finish out his suspension.

“We are a private organization, and we have rules that need to be followed,” said Leslie Dougher, who heads the Clay County Republican Party.

She is also the member of RPOF’s grievance committee, which on Saturday rejected Stevens’ appeal of the decision. Curry has no authority to overturn the ruling.

Sean Mulhall, a Ponte Vedra Beach attorney who on Thursday was elected chairman of the St. Johns County Republican Party, called Stevens a “good Republican,” but agreed with the party’s decision.

“I really like John and hope he joins us again when his suspension is over,” Mullhall said.

Stevens attended — but could not vote — at the meeting when Mulhall was elected chairman.

Stevens is a staunch backer of U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who is a former presidential nominee with an outspoken cadre of libertarian supporters.

“There are some in the party who don’t want us to participate,” he said.

Party spokesman Brian Burgess said that Curry is not trying to purge Paul supporters, or anyone else.

“There is a movement in the party to include a lot of different views … that’s why we have primary process,” Burgess said. “A key rule is that once that’s over, we unite behind the party’s nominees.”

Stevens said he is talking to an attorney and will decide if he is filing a lawsuit by the end of the week.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has...

John Stevens

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only in the GOP. IMO, they should just forget elections and just go with choosing like in Pokemon. Mitt Romney I choose YOU to run against Obama! It would save on the drama.

Oh wow. Is there anything that can be done?

I hope he wins his case, it wasn't even this election, and you were (he was?) ELECTED.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 12-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Another reason not openly support the Democrat candidate even if he is slightly better.

I think the mistake is a public endorsement. Those are no-nos in both parties. I live in a heavily D area and a couple of them broke ranks to endorse Romney as well as a Republican judge (nonpartisan race I might add) and the county party is looking to boot them out of the party. It's not Ron Paul, it's an open endorsement of a Democrat which got him in trouble.

Stating dissatisfaction with the candidate is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    I think the mistake is a public endorsement. Those are no-nos in both parties. I live in a heavily D area and a couple of them broke ranks to endorse Romney as well as a Republican judge (nonpartisan race I might add) and the county party is looking to boot them out of the party. It's not Ron Paul, it's an open endorsement of a Democrat which got him in trouble.

Stating dissatisfaction with the candidate is not the problem.
    he said it wasn't even his endorsement, he just forwarded someone else's endorsement to someone.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    Another reason not openly support the Democrat candidate even if he is slightly better.
    Oh no, shouldn't we be letting it all hang out? If we do not, isn't that pandering or sucking up to the GOP?

/s
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Oh no, shouldn't we be letting it all hang out? If we do not, isn't that pandering or sucking up to the GOP?

/s
    All that was said, whether he wrote it or not, is the same thing that was said here mere weeks ago. In order for a true liberty movement to flourish in the republican party, Romney (and last time McCain) had to lose. Otherwise it would be seen as an endorsement of their policies, and set any liberty movement back years. It was not an endorsement of Obama, in either case.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post

/s
    No. It's tempting to go campaign for Obama or whoever because McCAin would have been so bad, but Obama ends up being bad too. So that's a reason, but on top of that stuff, you get stuff like this.

Did he say that in a private message, or was it some sort of public statement?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by JS4Pat View Post
    “My opinion is that in order for us to save America, [Barack] Obama has to win,” wrote Stevens, who was a precinct committeeman, in an October 2008 email to an undisclosed recipient.
    Yeah, that's a good way to get kicked off. Advice, don't support Barack Obama.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Only in the GOP. IMO, they should just forget elections and just go with choosing like in Pokemon. Mitt Romney I choose YOU to run against Obama! It would save on the drama.
    Haha

Wait wait WAIT

We can change the GOP! Let's take it over and use the very party structure to save the country!

“The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

Florida must be a different place. I was elected as a Republican Delegate and to my County Committee and State Committee, and I'm a well known Paul supporter in New Hampshire. Though, I thinking it maybe wasn't because he supported Paul.

I wonder if he is really guilty of the crime is was charged with?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Yeah, that's a good way to get kicked off. Advice, don't support Barack Obama.
    That is not my QUOTE - I Never said that nor endorsed Obama - EVER.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.

John Stevens

Since the third place loser still got the post, it seems pretty obvious to me that the party bosses just chose to trump up whatever crap they could find to make their loser the winner. Seems to be a trend with the party. No one said this would be easy. Unfortunately Im starting to think we may have to get a little more nasty with the establishment. Playing by the rules just doesn't matter to them and they show it over and over at all levels of the party. Im not advocating cheating but rather use (or even create) opportunities to sabotage them politically, just like they have no qualms doing to us. Im sure you all can figure out what I mean here. Not cheating. Just play politics.
    Last edited by devil21; 12-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hey John

You should've quit the GOP years ago

And that lame RLC thing in Duval has flamed out right

Build the C4L in NE Fla brother

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Florida must be a different place. I was elected as a Republican Delegate and to my County Committee and State Committee, and I'm a well known Paul supporter in New Hampshire. Though, I thinking it maybe wasn't because he supported Paul.

I wonder if he is really guilty of the crime is was charged with?
    Florida is a White Trash state ruled by Rednecks in N. Fla.

St Johns County is near Jacksonville, the "Bold New City of the South"

So what a majority of you in this thread are saying, is that probably 90% of this site's members don't belong in the GOP then? Because what was said in that email is exactly what was said around here on a daily basis just a few weeks ago. We were all saying Romney had to lose for liberty to be able to grow within the GOP. Boy what a difference a few weeks make.

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    So what a majority of you in this thread are saying, is that probably 90% of this site's members don't belong in the GOP then? Because what was said in that email is exactly what was said around here on a daily basis just a few weeks ago. We were all saying Romney had to lose for liberty to be able to grow within the GOP. Boy what a difference a few weeks make.
    this guy was ELECTED COMMITTEEMAN somehow. I'm no great lover of the Gop - I've always been a member, but I believed their rhetoric, comparatively at one time, and since then was a Ron Paul supporter -- and his projects are housed in the GOP. BUT if you have the votes to become committeeman, we want the votes to protect that seat. This is an outrage and we should be addressing it as such.

When this first came up a couple of weeks ago I emailed the RPOF's executive com and stated that, as a party delegate from Mich, I was saddened to see the RPOF's decision to overthrow the will of the Republican voters of St. Johns county and urged them to reconsider. I even posted the link in hopes that others would follow suit, esp if they are Republican voters. When situations like this arise, we need to have the grassroots putting massive pressure on these party officials.

I have known John for over 5 years and is one of the top Liberty leaders in Florida. The GOP in Florida is as corrupt as anywhere and has been trying to purge out the Liberty movement since 2007. I will do everything I can to help him.

This is what John help do in Jacksonville in 2007 for Ron Paul:
    (A MUST WATCH)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7l2yUk13I

In Liberty,

Curt
    RonPaulProducts.com
    http://www.ronpaulproducts.com/

Ron Paul 2012 Products:
    Bumperstickers as low as $.17
    Wristbands as low as $.99
    Shirts as low as $1.99
    Buttons for less than $.99
    Car Decals for less than $19.99
    Signs, Banners, Meetup Kits, Bulk Sales, and more....

Thanks for the words of support!

From the newspaper editor...
    Mr. Stevens:

I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday. This correction will appear Thursday.

St. Johns County Republican state committeeman-elect John Stevens forwarded an email that told an undisclosed recipient “[m]y opinion is that in order for us to save America, [Barack] Obama has to win. If [John] McCain wins then those who consider themselves to be 'conservatives' will be lulled back to sleep." Because of a reporter’s error, the origin of the email was incorrect in a story on Page A-1 Wednesday.

John Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by JS4Pat View Post
    Thanks for the words of support!

From the newspaper editor...
    Woot!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    I don't remember saying another like that. I wanted Romney to do better than he did because of coattails for the lower level candidates. I would have liked Romney to win my state by a few points.

Anyway, as long as someone says something like that here, as long as they don't use their real name, email or photo, I don't think it is a big deal, even if they are a Republican official.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.