Thread: Why are we being attacked from within?

Why are we being attacked from within?

Operation Bernhard

Operation Bernhard was the codename of a secret Nazi plan devised during the Second World War by the RSHA and the SS to destabilise the British economy by flooding the country with forged Bank of England £5, £10, £20, and £50 notes. It was the largest counterfeiting operation in history and has been dramatised in books, the BBC comedy-drama miniseries Private Schulz and a 2007 Oscar-winning Austrian film, The Counterfeiters (Die Fälscher).

Contents

1 History
    2 In fiction
    3 See also
    4 Further reading
    5 References
    6 External links

History

The plan was directed by, and named after, Schutzstaffel Sturmbannführer (SS Major) Bernhard Krüger, who set up a team of 142 counterfeiters from inmates at Sachsenhausen concentration camp at first, and then from other camps, especially Auschwitz. Beginning in 1942, the work of engraving the complex printing plates, developing the appropriate rag-based paper with the correct watermarks, and breaking the code to generate valid serial numbers was extremely difficult, but by the time Sachsenhausen was evacuated in April 1945 the printing press had produced 8,965,080 banknotes with a total value of £134,610,810. The notes are considered among the most perfect counterfeits ever produced, being almost impossible to distinguish from the real currency.
    A £5 (White fiver) note forged by the Jewish Sachsenhausen concentration camp prisoners.

The plan was to destabilize the British economy during the war by dropping the notes from aircraft, on the assumption that most Britons would collect the money and spend it, thus triggering inflation. This scheme was not put into effect: it was postulated that the Luftwaffe did not have enough aircraft to deliver the forgeries, and by that time the operation was in the hands of SS foreign intelligence. From late 1943, approximately one million notes per month were printed. Many were transferred from SS headquarters to a former hotel near Meran in South Tyrol, Northern Italy, from where they were laundered and used to pay for strategic imports and German secret agents operating in Allied countries. It has been rumoured that counterfeit currency was used to finance the rescue of Benito Mussolini in 1943.

The Bank of England learned of a plot from a spy as early as 1939 and detected forged notes in 1943, which were called "the most dangerous ever seen". Clerks first recorded the counterfeits from a British bank in Tangiers. Every banknote issued by the Bank of England was recorded in large leather-bound ledgers, still in the Bank's archives and it was found that one of the notes had been recorded as having been paid off.[clarification needed] The counterfeiting team turned its attention to US currency, producing samples of one side of $100 bills on 22 February 1945, with production scheduled to start the next day but the Reich Security Head Office (RSHA) ordered the work halted and the press dismantled.

On the evacuation of Sachsenhausen, the counterfeiting team was transferred to Redl-Zipf in Austria, a subsidiary camp of Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp. At the beginning of May 1945, the team was ordered to transfer to Ebensee subsidiary camp, where they were to be murdered.[1] Their SS guards had only one truck for the prisoners, so the transfer required three trips. The truck broke down during the third trip and the last batch of prisoners had to be marched to Ebensee, where they arrived on 4 May. The guards of the first two batches of prisoners fled when the prisoners at the Ebensee camp revolted and refused to be moved into tunnels, where they would have probably been blown up. The counterfeiters then dispersed among the prisoners at Ebensee. The order was that all the counterfeiters be liquidated together; the delayed arrival of the third batch therefore saved the lives of all of them.

The Ebensee camp was liberated by US forces on 6 May 1945.[2] One of the prisoners, the Jewish Slovak printer-turned-counterfeiter Adolf Burger, later contributed to the awareness of Operation Bernhard with several versions of his memoirs published in Central European languages and in Persian. An English version was published in 2009 as The Devil's Workshop.[3]

After the war, Major Krüger was detained by the British for two years, then turned over to the French for a year. He said they asked him to forge documents but that he refused. He was released in 1948 without charge. In the 1950s he went before a De-Nazification Court, where statements were produced from the forger-inmates whose lives he had been responsible for saving. He later worked for the company that had produced the special paper for the Operation Bernhard forgeries.

After the defeat of the Third Reich, large bundles of fake pounds ended up in the hands of the Jewish underground, which used the forged notes to buy equipment and to bring colonists to Palestine, among them Chaim Shurik, a Polish printer whose 20-page account of his counterfeiting days was written in Hebrew.[4] The Jewish underground likely had access to forged U.S. dollars as well but apparently avoided using them so as not to damage relations with the United States.

It is believed that most of the notes produced ended up at the bottom of Lake Toplitz near Ebensee, from where they were recovered by divers in 1959 but examples turned up in circulation in Britain for many years, which caused the Bank of England to withdraw all notes larger than £5 from circulation. A new £5 banknote colored blue was issued on 21 February 1957 and the other denominations were reintroduced on February 21, 1964 (£10), July 9, 1970 (£20) and March 20, 1981 (£50).[5]

German spy Elyesa Bazna (codename "Cicero") was paid with counterfeit notes, sued the German government after the war for outstanding pay and lost the case.

Snip...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bernhard

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sun Tzu. the art of war.

it is a short book and an easy read.

http://suntzusaid.com/

Wait, isn't QE supposd to be good for the economy?

I started out the other day looking for some of the arguments we used to hear in the 50's, 60's, and 70's on why counterfeiting was so bad. You'd see television shows, documentaries, and public service announcements giving the spiel.

Maybe my Google Foo was off. I didn't really come up with much.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Wait, isn't QE supposd to be good for the economy?
    There is a difference. The amount you put into the economy at a specified time determines what will happen. Sure flooding it with lots and lots of money suddenly will cause (bad) inflation but in QE the money isn't printed and just used it is loaned out etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vickersvimy View Post
    There is a difference. The amount you put into the economy at a specified time determines what will happen. Sure flooding it with lots and lots of money suddenly will cause (bad) inflation but in QE the money isn't printed and just used it is loaned out etc.
    I was thinking he was just joking.

It kind of sounds like your making the argument if they loot and pillage at a slow enough pace they won't kill the host. It seems to me they have looted and pillaged us for so long they have us all weakened to the breaking point. Any little thing could make the dominoes start tipping.

We are being attacked from within because that is the only way it will work, most folks deny the idea that we are being attacked from within is in the realm of possibilites.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    It kind of sounds like your making the argument if they loot and pillage at a slow enough pace they won't kill the host. It seems to me they have looted and pillaged us for so long they have us all weakened to the breaking point. Any little thing could make the dominoes start tipping.

Don't understand Macroeconomics much do you? Essentially as more people are born and the economy grows then there is a greater demand for money. To match this the government must create more money to stimulate the economy.

Don't understand Macroeconomics much do you? Essentially as more people are born and the economy grows then there is a greater demand for money. To match this the government must create more money to stimulate the economy.
    I understand that when you double the amount of things, and double the amount of money to match the increase, that there should be NO inflation.

I think what we have is crooks printing up cash for things with no real value and stripping the value out of the honest mans hard earned assets to do it. And not just your ordinary crooks, these guys are of the biggest in history.

Look at other times in the past when we introduced fake money into the system to finance wars.

See the little bumps where the currency lost value?

They say my Great Great(?) Grandfather was very much in favor of the Continental Currency and supported it because it supported the War of Independence. That was then. This is now.

I'm not saying a currency needs to be tied to gold, but it does need to be tied to reality.

The only reality we have with ours is that they are looting us blind. They already control everything. It won't be much longer they've counterfeited enough to own everything outright.

It seems to me if you needed to expand the currency you could approach people up front with a proposal and they could put up some assets to get a loan for you.

These loans being made now are just a stealth back door way of putting other peoples, all of their everything, up on loan for crap like wars to spread a global network of central banks so they can do your neighbors like they are doing us. Their other list of reasons wouldn't pry a nickels worth of give a darn from anyone.

I never said that there was no inflation - there is, but that it doesn't matter too much. The loans being made actually help me in the long run because, say that I am unemployed, that loan could be why I get a job. The reason why the banking system is the way it is is a product of continuous advancement. We found that this system works best. That doesn't mean that we cannot improve it but a lot of the supports and laws (such as glass-steagall which was repealed sadly) are there for a reason. The majority were instituted at the end or during the Great Depression to prevent another one.