Thread: "Social decay is caused by a widespread decay in the clarity of thought"

"Social decay is caused by a widespread decay in the clarity of thought"

"What a man cannot state he does not perfectly know, and conversely the inability to put his thoughts into words sets a boundary to his thought... . English is not merely the medium of our thought; it is the very stuff and process of it." —Report of the Departmental Committee on the Teaching of English in England ; H. M. Stationery Office (1921)

The Impact Of Social Decline Upon Language
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/language/index.htm

Language IS understanding, which makes an author's use of language a clear guide to the nature of that author's understanding. As social decay is caused by a widespread decay in the clarity of thought, this must obtain a widespread decay in the clarity of expression. The symptoms of which can only be a general discarding of the disciplines of spelling, punctuation and grammar, along with the loss of short plain sentiments; evidence that is available to everyone and easy to recognise. Qualities that make consideration of the general use of language an ideal tool to diagnose decline and explain why the history of English literature is the diary of the rise then decline of English speaking civilization.
    How To Diagnose If A Community Is Declining (Losing Sanity)
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/diagnose.htm#Words

Language is Understanding
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/undrstnd.htm
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A survey of linguistic science will reveal to you that the author is at most only partially correct. A lot of what we now consider "standard" English grammar and spelling is a result of things like laziness of tongue and semantic shift. For example, if we could bring Sakespeare to early 19th century America (well, any period in American history in which English was a common tongue, really), he would be quite lost in both the written and spoken language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I think his point has less to do with how language changes over time, and more to do with how a society declines when its language decays.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Interesting. I think it's normal for grammar and vocabulary to change over time, in all languages. But languages do contain a lot of cultural information. The English language is in a unquie situation right now as the world's lingua franca...that is definitely having an impact, IMO. For instance, there is a general sense that English is a "cultural neutral" and "global" language.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    "What a man cannot state he does not perfectly know, and conversely the inability to put his thoughts into words sets a boundary to his thought... . English is not merely the medium of our thought; it is the very stuff and process of it." —Report of the Departmental Committee on the Teaching of English in England ; H. M. Stationery Office (1921)

The Impact Of Social Decline Upon Language
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/language/index.htm

How To Diagnose If A Community Is Declining (Losing Sanity)
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/diagnose.htm#Words

Language is Understanding
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/undrstnd.htm
    http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com...d-freedom.html
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I think his point has less to do with how language changes over time, and more to do with how a society declines when its language decays.
    What some see as language decaying, others may see as evolving. I could agree there is quite a bit of both going on with the new mediums of communication we have today.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This applies today with replacing describing how one feels with emojis and just the word "feels."

Wow, so much emotion and depth conveyed with that one word! I totally know how that person "feels!"

Simplifying our language/vocabulary take away our ability to articulate and communicate.

Thinking matters for a very small part of the population.

Say, 1% of the population holds an executive (no boss) position.

It really doesn't matter what the other 99% think.

The question is what kind of standard of living they will enjoy, which is a function of the economic system.

...which will be thoroughly FUBAR in any system other than laissez faire.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten.

"When words lose their meaning, people will lose their liberty." -- Confucius
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members