Thread: [Video] Rand Paul on Cavuto 12/11/12

[Video] Rand Paul on Cavuto 12/11/12

Last edited by jct74; 12-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TODAY: Neil Cavuto’s Live From Capitol Hill

The fight for YOUR financial future! Neil Cavuto confronts the financial mess that’s deadlocking Washington, D.C.

Plus, get expert insight from Rep. Van Hollen, Fmr. Senator Alan Simpson, and Senators Lieberman, McCain, Rubio, and Paul.

Tune in to Your World, today at 4p ET.
    I'll try and record it.

tubez?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    tubez?
    It's not even 4pm yet...

Rand on now. Mentioned government funding studies involving monkeys on meth.

Crap, I recorded it, but for some reason there's no sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Rand on now. Mentioned government funding studies involving monkeys on meth.
    do you have a link for the study he cites? does it really exist?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    do you have a link for the study he cites? does it really exist?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gold...on-tax-dollars
    The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a division of the federal government’s National Institutes of Health (NIH), has spent $3,634,807 over the past decade funding research that involves getting monkeys to smoke and drink drugs such as PCP, methamphetamine (METH), heroin, and cocaine and then studying their behavior, including during different phases of the female monkeys’ menstrual cycles.
    http://projectreporter.nih.gov/proje...7&icde=8429752
    DESCRIPTION: Goals of the proposed research are to use a rhesus monkey model of drug abuse, to study factors affecting vulnerability to drug abuse and to evaluate behavioral and pharmacological treatment interventions. Routes of administration that have been developed in this laboratory will include oral drug self-administration and smoking. When using the oral route of self-administration, liquid deliveries are contingent upon lip-contact responses. Smoke deliveries are contingent upon inhalation responses. Vulnerability factors to be examined are sex and phase of the menstrual cycle as well as patterns/duration of access to drugs. Initial work indicates that escalation from drug use to abuse is dependent upon the amount and duration of access. The proposed work will extend these findings to monkeys, other drugs, and measures of reinforcing efficacy. In addition, the question of whether differential access to one drug affects acquisition of self-administration of a second drug will be examined. Well-accepted measures of the reinforcing efficacy of drugs, behavioral economic demand curve analyses and PR schedules will be used to determine how these predisposing factors ultimately affect the reinforcing potential of selected drugs. The drugs that will be studied are cocaine, ethanol, heroin, methadone and phencyclidine (PCP). Behavior maintained by food and/or liquid saccharin will be used as a control for drug-selective effects. The behavioral economic measures will also be used quantify the extent to which these drug and nondrug substances substitute for each other. These studies will inform us about the effectiveness of substituting nondrug items for drugs in treatment, as well for predicting polydrug abuse by how well one form of drug abuse substitutes for another. The use of nondrug reinforcers as a behavioral treatment will also be compared in male and female monkeys and during 3 phases of the menstrual cycle. Potential treatment medications will also be examined in male monkeys using a behavioral economic approach. Three different types of drugs that have produced promising preliminary results are proposed: bremazocine, an agonist at the kappa opioid receptor, baclofen, a GABAB agonist, and ketoconazole, an inhibitor of corticosterone synthesis. Finally, the behavioral (alternative reinforcer) and pharmacological treatments will be combined and compared to the effects of each given alone. The results of the proposed 11 experiments will provide valuable information about major vulnerability factors and several behavioral and pharmacological treatment approaches for drug abuse. It is hoped that this information will lead to earlier and more effective prevention and treatment of drug abuse.

Those are some lucky monkeys.

Rand seemed a tad mean to Neil ("I'm sure your mother thinks your special.."). Maybe it was some kind of inside joke payback or something. Or possibly some form of Trump style deal making psychology to disarm the interviewer, and possibly sending a signal to possible future hostile interviewers.
    Last edited by anaconda; 12-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.

I don't think it came across as mean. He was clearly joking.

I wonder where they get the cocaine from? I thought it's a banned substance? where do they obtain it from, do they find a dealer or something and buy it illegally?

Heroin is morphine and can be medically obtained but i'll be interested to know how they get cocaine and meth for the monkeys and whether that's legal?!

I wonder where they get the cocaine from? I thought it's a banned substance? where do they obtain it from, do they find a dealer or something and buy it illegally?
    It's not banned, it's a "controlled substance." You need to get a permit to posses it.

Heroin is morphine and can be medically obtained but i'll be interested to know how they get cocaine and meth for the monkeys and whether that's legal?!
    Not quite.

No prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and such substances are subject to production quotas by the DEA.
    Heroin, cocaine, marijuana, LDS, MDMA/ecstasy are all Schedule I. Meth, PCP, morphine, and methadone are Schedule II.
    Last edited by Confederate; 12-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So I wonder how and where they get it from then...

So I wonder how and where they get it from then...
    You get a permit from the DEA to produce or posses Schedule I drugs for research.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    You get a permit from the DEA to produce or posses Schedule I drugs for research.
    The government is exempt from its own laws I'd like to research with some legal coke..

The government is exempt from its own laws I'd like to research with some legal coke..
    You can get a DEA permit to posses and produce Schedule I drugs if you're a serious researcher.