Thread: Why you should cover camera's up on your laptop and phones....

Why you should cover camera's up on your laptop and phones....

Use a piece of paper and cover those damn cameras...

--
    A PRETTY brunette is wanted for questioning over an iPhone theft - after unwittingly taking a picture of herself on the stolen device.

Thanks to a clever app, the owner was sent a snap of the woman as she tried to unlock the device.

The app also sent details via email of the phone's location after it was stolen from the Coalition nightclub in Brighton, East Sussex earlier this month.

In the shot, the long-haired beauty appears to be sitting in a car - but cops cannot be certain she is the sticky-fingered culprit.

PC Gavin Crute, of Sussex Police, said: "The owner of the camera has a rather cool app that takes a picture of anyone who tries to unlock it, maps their current location and then sends all the info back to the owner in an email.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2Elb3UHCB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By the way I'm not condoning theft, it just shows you what can be done.

And people think i'm paranoid for covering lenses on devices....

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    By the way I'm not condoning theft, it just shows you what can be done.

And people think i'm paranoid for covering lenses on devices....
    My Droid's camera is on the opposite side of the phone...guess I'll have to identify them by their shoes.

Any time I'm having a "private" conversation, I actually get rid of my phone from the area I'm in, "they" can turn on the mic/camera at anytime, supposedly even with it turned off. 1984 is here.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

I want "them" to listen to me, watch me too!

I just hope the resources they're tying up on me are letting some other schmuck lead a better life.

There's too much government when they spend tax dollars looking for crime....

and how does anyone know that she just didnt pick it up from the floor and tried to find the owner?

Obviously the Sun has a different definition of "pretty" than I do. But, then again, they are British, so I suppose allowances must be made.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    My Droid's camera is on the opposite side of the phone...guess I'll have to identify them by their shoes.

Any time I'm having a "private" conversation, I actually get rid of my phone from the area I'm in, "they" can turn on the mic/camera at anytime, supposedly even with it turned off. 1984 is here.
    They most assuredly can. The only way you can stop it is by taking out the batteries.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    and how does anyone know that she just didnt pick it up from the floor and tried to find the owner?
    Pfft. They have some SWAT team sitting around, itching to do a raid--and we're all criminals. Plus, she's pretty and young, it'll be fun to terrify her.

That said--I wouldn't be surprised if they started installing secondary cameras/microphones that are much more difficult to find, just to make people think that they're not being watched.

How's that for paranoia?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I want "them" to listen to me, watch me too!

I just hope the resources they're tying up on me are letting some other schmuck lead a better life.

There's too much government when they spend tax dollars looking for crime....
    Good idea! Make up a fake conversation about a robbery, then go watch to see if they show up!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Obviously the Sun has a different definition of "pretty" than I do. But, then again, they are British, so I suppose allowances must be made.
    she's pretty hot actually. ohh well

the eff? There are nude pictures all over that newspaper. I guess Britain is cool with that sort of thing. I'm not. (Opened it at work.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon98188 View Post
    the eff? There are nude pictures all over that newspaper. I guess Britain is cool with that sort of thing. I'm not. (Opened it at work.)
    Topless is fine in the UK..

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post

How? and does that go for a laptop too? I have a sticker over my webcam at all times (unless it's in use); but I just figured I'm a bit paranoid. Would like to know if/how "they" could turn on the built in mic though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon98188 View Post
    See Page Three of the publication. (I used to live in London- the Sun is a pretty trashy tabloid).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.

<<<~has proudly never owned any sort of "smart phone". DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER!!!!!!11!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

People laugh at me for putting a tape over my built in cam on my laptop.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe
    while our legislature is in session
    .--Benjamin Franklin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BethanyGrace View Post
    How? and does that go for a laptop too? I have a sticker over my webcam at all times (unless it's in use); but I just figured I'm a bit paranoid. Would like to know if/how "they" could turn on the built in mic though.
    Probably. Your computer gets automatic updates all the time.

Because modern handsets are miniature computers, downloaded software could modify the usual interface that always displays when a call is in progress. The spyware could then place a call to the FBI and activate the microphone--all without the owner knowing it happened. (The FBI declined to comment on Friday.)
    That's just one way it's possible, here's the article if you want to read a more thorough explanation and other possible ways they can eavesdrop: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029-6140191.html
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Yeah, that is a possibility. If she has already turned it in to the cell provider or Police, she is obviously innocent.

I once found a smart phone in the street that someone had lost. Even though it was unlocked, there was no way to know who to call to get a message to the owner. I waited for a day to see if the owner would call the phone, but it never rang. Turned it in to the cell provider store, and they really didn't want it (left it with them anyway). A friend found a phone in the park, and the owner called it within an hour. The owner (female) immediately started a profanity filled and violence threatening rant against the girl who answered. The girl who answered finally replied "I just found it, and I'll leave it for you in a garbage can." She tossed it in the nearest garbage.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    she's pretty hot actually. ohh well
    I hate that I couldn't resist clicking on their link to see what she looked like since there were conflicting reports in this thread. Verdict: She seems above average for that area of the world.

If your computer is hacked the computer hacker can take a snap shot from your webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Probably. Your computer gets automatic updates all the time.

That's just one way it's possible, here's the article if you want to read a more thorough explanation and other possible ways they can eavesdrop: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029-6140191.html
    Thanks Amy!

Do they REALLY want to see what people do in front of their computers?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst